Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tick bites. Assume I don’t need to call the gp?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Just pulled a tick off me. He didn’t seem particularly swollen however for some reason he’d died. No idea how long he’d been there.

I’m assuming no need to go to docs for antibiotics unless i start feeling shit or develop a rash?

Ta

Greybeard
    Free Member

Correct, watch out for a ‘bullseye’ rash, concentric red circles, possibly with joint pains, etc, in which case get to the GP asap. I think it will typically happen in 2-3 weeks but not necessarily. If you don’t get symptoms, no action needed, the NHS have enough to do.

scotroutes

Any “flu like” symptoms should also alert you but, on the other hand, that might just be Covid.

csb

Bullseye rash doesn’t always appear. As with so many illnesses its ‘flu like symptoms’ you need to watch out for.

Edit. Like they said…

nuke

Its a tricky one as the ‘bullseye’ rash is not guaranteed and many of the other symptoms could be put down to many other common illnesses but if I went to the GPs for every tick I removed, Id be there every other week at the moment (although I never have gone for a tick bite).

Tend to get mine when cycling in woods so normally notice them within 48hours which Im sure Ive read is the best timescale to remove within. Also, mine have been very small so assume larva stage whereas its the nymph or adult stage that are higher risk

Yak

Yes, as all above. Flu like symptoms OR bullseye rash then go to the drs for antibiotics.

jca

You perhaps ought to go to your GP for blood tests, just to work out what is flowing through your veins which killed it…

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Got swelling and beginnings of cellulitis a couple of years ago from a bite. Some antibiotics cleared it up.

tpbiker
    Free Member

You perhaps ought to go to your GP for blood tests, just to work out what is flowing through your veins which killed it…

That did occur to me! Serves the little xxxx right for picking the wrong person as his lunch

TomB

Directly from The NHS

See a GP if:
    you’ve been bitten by a tick or visited an area in the past 3 months where infected ticks could be and you have:

flu-like symptoms – such as feeling hot and shivery, headaches, aching muscles or feeling sick, or
    a round or oval shape rash

bjhedley

Equally, if it swells up (hard red and raised) but isn’t a bulls eye, I was advised to go as can still have a reaction – ended up with a steroid cream.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.