Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thule Volocompact question
  • cupotea

Morning all.  Could any owners of Thule Velocompacts tell me if they’ve used it successfully with silly long (1250) wheel bases and wide (2.6) tyres?  I’d rather not have to pick, and pay, for the XT model if I don’t have to.  That said, if it’s a bit iffy I’d rather pay more for stability.

Cheers.

singlespeedstu

Have you considered an Atera Strada Ebike ML?

Takes up to a 1430mm wheelbase and 2.6 tyres with standard straps.

Up to 4″ tyres with fatbike straps that cost about a fiver.

Fits proper long bikes.

Atera Ebike ML rack.

cupotea

@singlespeedstu that looks like it could do the trick!

I notice you don’t have the upright bars at the back. Do you use it with just the wheel straps?  I have to say the lockable ratchet straps on the supporting arms are a real tempter!  It doesn’t look as snazzy as the Thules but I guess that doesn’t matter.  Does the tilt mechanism work well? Does the towbar mount lock as well?

I’m torn between the 2 and 3 bike model.  95% of the time it would only be 2 but the option of a third would be handy.

big_scot_nanny

I have the Velospace XT3, fits modern bikes with no problems.

IA

That e-bike ML up there, does it fit in the boot of your superb across it? Ie can you leave it in the boot when not in use?

singlespeedstu

I notice you don’t have the upright bars at the back.

It had only just arrived minus the bolts so I was just making sure everything fitted.

I’d not try and drive with it like that.

Had an Atera before and everything on them works brilliantly.

Only swapped to this because of it’s huge wheelbase capacity.

does it fit in the boot of your superb across it?

That’s a very good question.

As it’s only just arrived and my car is full of work stuff I’m not sure.

I’ll try and have a look maybe tomorrow.

cupotea

Cheers Stu!  Have you tried the tilt yet? I’d prefer the sliding mechanism of some other models but it’s not a deal breaker.

I had a chat with the most amazingly helpful lady at Roofbox earlier. They will certainly be getting my custom.

singlespeedstu

Yep tilt is fine.

Not quite as trick as the slide of my old Atera but still works well and shouldn’t need the slide rails cleaning out like my old one did every now and again.

Roofbox are brilliant to deal with.

Some bolts were missing from the manufacturer when I unpacked the rack. Rang them and sent a picture and they arrived next morning.

They’re also good if you break anything and need spares.

IA

The exact combo of a superb estate plus towbar rack for long bikes intrigues me, as I’m car shopping. I was thinking ideally I’d leave the rack in the boot most of the time when not in use, so if it fits it’d be good to know.

IA

Did you ever get a chance to try the rack in the boot?

singlespeedstu

Not yet.

Should be able to check it out at the weekend.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the Altera rack but the Thule Velocompact 927 will fit in the boot of my Octavia estate easily enough without folding seats down etc.

singlespeedstu

Nope it won’t fit in sideways.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thule Volocompact question’ is closed to new replies.