Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Thule fitting kit for ’14 s-max – need the plastic things?
  • Pook

These things make the foot pack sit proud of the car, but seemingly don’t do much – they certainly don’t slot into anything on the car.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k_MfyMAjS7RZLmB9a-iXRvsrLOzhv271/view?usp=drivesdk

Are they needed or just for another model?

oldtennisshoes

Could they be spacers for things that need the bars to be higher above the car roof e.g some ski racks to avoid the binding fouling the roof on some lower profile setups?

TheDTs
    Free Member

They level out the bars as the roof on the s-max is quite sloping. If you try without make sure your bolts aren’t too long. They could end up going through the roof lining.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yes, they’re pretty essential. They’re the actual feet that sit in the gutter slot and take all the load. Also they are the things that the screw tightens against and means you have no primary load going though to your actual roof skin…which isn’t very strong. They also level things out as has been said before.

Pook

they must be the wrong ones then – if anything these will be putting a point load on to the roof

wobbliscott
    Free Member

They slot into the gutter don’t they? where you remove the plastic covers. The gutter is the main structure of the roof. On mine they were the only thing that contacted the car other than the rubber gasket that went aournd the shroud you remove to access the bolt. Mine was a 2012 car and think it was the same on the later model. Also it is a different rack for a car with a glass roof

Pook

they “go” into the gutter. I wouldn’t say they slot. this is what’s concerning me. I can see where the bolt goes through the foot, the little plate and this plastic thing, but it just doesn’t seem right. I’ll try to get another pic later tonight.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yes, that’s right. The plastic foot sits in the gutter quite loosly then as you tighten the bolt up it all compresses. It is rigid as anything once you tighten the bolts up.

It’s not any different to the old style roof racks that sat in the traditional external gutters if you think about it…they just sat in the external gutter and were not located until you tightened everything up, then they were rock solid.

But trust me…it works. I had my roof rack on my Smax permanently for about 5 years and it never budged an inch.

GrahamS

Oooh does this kit need the factory-option bars already on the roof or does it attach without them?

I’m looking for a roof rack kit for my 17 plate S-Max Grand which does not have the factory option bars.

concrete24
    Free Member

Oooh does this kit need the factory-option bars already on the roof or does it attach without them?

I’m looking for a roof rack kit for my 17 plate S-Max Grand which does not have the factory option bars.

Hi @GrahamS,
    My 2017 S-Max needed the foot pack that hooks under the door aperture. Not sure if this was because of the panoramic roof – but I ‘think’ they changed it for that model year onwards.
    I needed:
    Thule 754 Rapid system foot pack
    Thule Rapid System 1796 141796 Kit
    Thule 963100 Wing Bar 963 Rapid System (150CM)
    A bit ugly, but does the job and I just leave it fitted.

matt_outandabout

There are different options on Galaxy and SMAX.

Some are a raised rail system.

Some have gutter mounts – you can choose where the bars sit. (my ’56 plate had this)

Some have bolt mounts at fixed points. (my mates ’56 plate SMAX had these)

Some have door mounts.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The panoramic roof does need the different kit.

Graham – a bit of a shameless plug from me, but I’ve still got the Thule wing bars I used for my S Max which I’ve never got round to selling on. It was a 2012 car so if the same attachment and foot packs then let me know if you’re after a used set.

EDIT – they are the attachment type shown in the third image down in Matt’s response.

GrahamS

Hmmm… thanks matt.

Think I need the door mount kit as I don’t have gutters, rails or mounts on mine.
    But the S-Max Grand has sliding rear doors (i.e. van doors) and the panoramic roof – will need to investigate further.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s an S Max? I though the C Max grand had the sliding doors? I’m not aware of the S Max ever having sliding doors or even the existence of an S Max Grand model, but then I’ve not been following the latest developments of the S Max since selling mine.

matt_outandabout

Do you not mean Grand C-Max?

null

A good bit smaller and very different from SMax and Galaxy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Thule fitting kit for ’14 s-max – need the plastic things?’ is closed to new replies.