Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Thule 591 rooftop rack and carbon framed bike
  • headfirst
    Free Member

A definite no-no or does anyone know a way around this? Currently my bestest road bike gets transported in the car, not on it but that won’t be an option shortly. Also like the quick on and off the 591 offers, especially so I can put the mountain bike on top and the dogs in the back for a quick walkies/ride.

nano
    Free Member

Don’t have any issues using a Thule tow bar rack with carbon frames and I would imagine that the clamp is similar if that helps.

On the other hand using the 561 fork clamp rack on the roof has made a mess of mrs nano’s de rosa’s carbon drop outs. Given the choice I would go with the 591.

headfirst
    Free Member

Cheers nano, a quick Google suggests the towbar racks don’t clamp on the downtube like the 591? That’s where my concerns lie.The plan would be to keep it on all the time ready to go,which isn’t possible with a rear rack

cp

carbon frames tend to be thicker and less crushable than aluminium.

no bother at all.

cp

I always used to put the bikes in the car, but the 591 is so convenient, quick and secure they go on the roof now. the racks stay on all the time. negligible effect on fuel consumption.

nano
    Free Member

That’s true.. they go around the top tube but depending on the bike / frame can be clamped from above or below. Not had any damage to carbon frames and they have gone from Essex to SW France without any dramas. Wheels are fastened with straps as per 591 so other than the clamping points being different it’s still a 3 point fix.

I run another car now so thought the 561 would be ideal for my road bike and x’er with a 15mm adapter for my MTB but after the issue with the drop outs i’m going to switch to a 591.

Not sure if I would leave it on the car full time as I don’t want to advertise that I have bikes. FWIW the 561 can be fitted and removed very quickly if you have the roof bars with channels in them. Mine are Ford (but I think Thule make them).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Thule 591 rooftop rack and carbon framed bike’ is closed to new replies.