Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Through axle.
  • andybrad

So it appears that my wera hex keys have made my maxle stealth unable to be used with a standard hex key. So I need a new one.

So is there any difference to the fancy coloured ones from wolf tooth or burgtec. Ill be getting black anyway.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have been unable to find any reason to pay more than the price of a Brand X from CRC.

greeny30
    Free Member

Brand-x have allen key fitting at both ends like the Burgtec ones but much cheaper.

kayak23

Oh, I thought the singer from Guns ‘n’ Roses had died.

Carry on.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Some frames use oddball thread sizes. My daughter needed a new one for her Ritchey and the only places that did that particular thread form were Burgtec and Roberts. If it’s a common size then no need to pay more imo.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So it appears that my wera hex keys have made my maxle stealth unable to be used with a standard hex

Why?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Why?

I don’t know but I bet 20p they are hex+ and the axle has been deformed so a flat sided key wont go in.  Although Wera say they prevent exactly that.

https://www-de.wera.de/en/great-tools/hex-plus/

zerocool

If you’re worried about getting the right thread pitch you can use the sizing guide from the Token/Hamax bike trailer axle. You just print out the size guide and match up your axle to the picture. Then buy whichever brand axle you want.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t know but I bet 20p they are hex+

Ah, never used those, cheers RB.

Edit, bollocks to the above, I have a set of those that I use regyularly!, and standard ones in the garage, never noticed them deforming anything, I’d imagine it’s due to overtorqueing and deformation caused in the softer axle.

andybrad

yup your right hex+

and yes you cant get a trail tool in there so needs to be fixed.

brand x it is then

luket

I would think if the hex+ has damaged the head then a standard Allen key at the same torque might’ve done worse. It would be worth checking the torque applied on your new axle. I bought a bike with the Fox 40 axle hex head pretty much rounded out, so easily enough done I suspect. Turns out the torque setting for that one is very low.

Northwind

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t know but I bet 20p they are hex+ and the axle has been deformed so a flat sided key wont go in.

Yup, basically because using a tool that’s not the same shape as the fastener can cause problems, especially in a pretty soft alu “bolt”. (maxles mostly last because the tool usually goes well into it and engages on a huge amount of metal, it’s like having a cap bolt with an absolutely gigantically deep hex, but hex+ won’t do that the same)

IMO the best allen key for most jobs is just a really good quality plain hexagonal one. And without a doubt that’s the case for alu and nylon bolts where size of contact area is everything and any other shaped tool will tend to dig in. Never really quite understood why Wera get so highly recommended on here, but, even I have to admit that there are times I’m very glad I’ve got mine, even if they’re never the first tool I reach for.

andybrad

I must admit this isnt the first time ive had this issue with these wera keys. They look nice in stainless but im not a massive fan.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Through axle.’ is closed to new replies.