• This topic has 1,834 replies, 287 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,835 total)
  • Thoughts with the Queen and her family.
  • stumpyjon

I did not know that number (nearly a quarter) was as high

Not nearly as high as the three quarters ok with the status quo. People don’t always think through their answers either, look at the 52% who clearly didn’t who when asked should the UK leave the EU said yes.

As for should the monarchy go, it’s not going to happen on the death of a monarch unless planned in advance. If you really want it gone it’ll need to be done mid reign so the incumbent abdicated or they’ve decided in advance the monarchy will end with the death of the monarch.

There actually be quite a bit of beuaracracy to sort to remove the monarchy from the state.

kelvin

Is it such a radical idea to suggest waiting till after the funeral before outpouring how much you hated someone?

Where did that come from?

If you really want it gone it’ll need to be done mid reign so the incumbent abdicated or they’ve decided in advance the monarchy will end with the death of the monarch.

Conversely, not wanting to advocate to displace the Queen, because of her service and the personal attachment to her because of the shared history between her and us, was a perfectly respectful position to take. Seeing that when she came to the throne, it fitted the UK perfectly well, and allowing her to continue to serve right up to her death without arranging for the end of Monarchy was fitting for many, even if there was an argument that the time of Monarchy should really be behind us in the 21st Century. Now that she has sadly passed, this is exactly the time to begin a proper discussion about whether in this year we should keep the Monarchy in its current form, or should we reform or remove it to being the UK up to date. This is not 1952, and discussion about a new Monarch shouldn’t be treated as if it is. I was all for putting the issue to one side for a while, but the coverage of the accession of the King has made me very uneasy, it feels like programming and very anachronistic. To call it one sided would be an understatement.

Klunk
    Free Member

we’re republican cos we hate the queen 😕 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Of course it’s allowed, you’re discussing it right now. Who’s stopping you? Who’s shutting you down? Do you squeal “help help I’m being cancelled” every time someone disagrees with you?

Are news reports providing balance? Is anyone on telly or radio saying actually a lot of people couldn’t care less?

funkmasterp

This is not 1952, and discussion about a new Monarch new shouldn’t be treated as if it is.

This is a good point. The Queen, although beloved by many, was a relic of a different era. I don’t believe Charles will be modern enough to make any real change. The monarchy seem to bring with them a concept of Britain that is stuck in an era that no longer exists.

If we are to have a monarchy (an outdated concept in my opinion) I’d prefer William to take the reigns. Relatively young, somewhat more relatable and more likely to change things up. The concept and the reality are both entrenched in the past and need modernising.

Take a serious look at the pomp, ceremony, weird formalities, vast estates, regalia and really think if it needs to be a thing in the 21st century. In my opinion it needs to be consigned to history, move on, modernise. What that looks like under a monarchy, who knows, but I hope it’s a change from what’s come before. Seeing people bow and curtesy to others just seems ridiculous in a modern world.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have been working in a shop over the weekend.

Normally any major news stories come up in conversation with customers.

Not 1 person has mentioned the Queen.

I think that people feel intimidated that they should be “in mourning” due to the output of the MSM, particularly the BBC and don’t voice their indifferent feelings.

What this is going to be like in another 10 days, who knows? Why we should be so deferent to this bunch of tossers, god only knows.

Cougar

Are news reports providing balance? Is anyone on telly or radio saying actually a lot of people couldn’t care less?

Should they be? Would it be well received, do you suppose?

Why we should be so deferent to this bunch of tossers, god only knows.

Who’s being deferent? Again: there is a middle ground between forelock-tugging and dancing on their grave.

theotherjonv

Is anyone on telly or radio saying actually a lot of people couldn’t care less?

There was an article on I think ITV News about this being a chance to modernise the monarchy and the royal family. Not exactly saying that many ‘couldn’t care less’ but there is the beginning of debate. It isn’t totally one sided (but yes, currently very skewed)

theotherjonv

I’d prefer William to take the reigns.

I see what you did there - Imgflip

funkmasterp

😉

mikertroid
    Free Member

Wowza! More chips here than in Harry Ramsdens!

I for one am saddened by HM’s passing.
    I thought she set a shining example of dedication and service to us all.

RIP

inkster
    Free Member

There is an argument that the monarchy is a repository for illogical nationalist feelings and useful for it. Unchecked, where would that energy displayed by the mawkish and fawning masses go?

Would it be redirected towards creating a more fair and democratic society or would those feelings be instrumentalised by the Right to create an even more unequal, spiteful and nationalistic society?

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought she set a shining example of dedication and service to us all.

Hmm. Do your job, don’t cause trouble, toe the line, stiff upper lip, keep everything the same as it’s always been.

Good example? Discuss.

There is an argument that the monarchy is a repository for illogical nationalist feelings and useful for it. Unchecked, where would that energy displayed by the mawkish and fawning masses go?

Very interesting point. Head of state not only for visiting dignitaries but also for the plebs.

funkmasterp

My hope would be that it would die out over time. I could be wrong, but I imagine support for a monarchy is mainly from older generations. Like any form of change there would be a period of turbulence and upheaval.

Your second point is a good one and rather worrying. Are the monarchy a barrier between us and nationalistic sentiment running rampant.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Are we all looking forward to watching the queen’s final journey? Six solid hours.

scotroutes

Folk manage to watch whole stages of the TdF and that’s about as exciting.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Hi Kelvin my exact thoughts I certainly did like the Queen but the whole issue with Harry & Meghan for me was one of final straws with this Family for me then all the palaces, Andrew, Camilla unfortunately a long list now. Now this coverage of the accession of the King is totally outdated and should not need to happen, how I hear my children talk about the royal family I would not be surprised If william never became king. The whole thing is so outdated we have food banks in the UK whilst paying for all this, I don’t think they are needed Tourist’s will still visit the buildings.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Nowhere near as exciting! Apart from when that person caused a megacrash trying to take a selfie. Wonder if that will happen today?

theotherjonv

a merging of the two would be good. It’s usually the mavericks into a break (maybe the York girls, Harry would have been nailed on) – let them get 15 minutes up the road, and then the hearse gradually ramps up the speed and catches them just as they cross the Forth Bridge.

Elsewhere. I have a friend who is a funeral director, he has a myriad of tales but one nightmare is a funeral car breaking down or running out of petrol (can happen, if a family stands looking at flowers too long for example that they can’t refuel before getting to the next job)

I bet that car’s been serviced, serviced again and then once more this morning.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Big day for the hearse driver. Slow and steady wins the race. Not a time to be putting the motor through its paces.

scotroutes

They should chuck the “Stone of Destiny” in the back of the hearse too. It’ll save an extra journey for the coronation.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not 1 person has mentioned the Queen.

I’ve been into a few shops since she passed away.
    I’ve not mentioned it either but it doesn’t mean I’m not a wee bit saddened. Just cos people don’t mention it doesn’t mean they don’t give a toss.

reeksy

Will anyone do a road gap over the procession though? That would be worth watching.

kelvin

Hmm… not sure which thread to put this in…

Further unease about the Accession part of this (unlike some others, I don’t have any real problem with the official mourning side, apart from the cruelty of making retail staff listen to Robbie William’s “Angels” on a loop)… when the King goes on his tour of the nations, it looks like he’ll be taking the new PM with him in a joint getting their faces out there exercise. Worrying.

inkster
    Free Member

“My hope would be that it would die out over time. I could be wrong, but I imagine support for a monarchy is mainly from older generations. Like any form of change there would be a period of turbulence and upheaval.”

Asking friend’s who have kids in their late teens / early 20’s their sprogs don’t seem to give it much thought, much as myself at that age.

We all become the older generation eventually though… Thus my second point about the dangers of nationalism, I wouldn’t have been as aware of that danger at a younger age, when if pushed I would probably have cleaved towards the notion that we could change society for the better by moving on from an antiquated monarchical system.

I also think the idea that the monarchy will gradually and inevitably dissolve is far from a certainty, the entire history of the monarchy has been a rocky ride and always open to question, criticism and existential threats.

The 50 something me thinks that something that has lasted nigh on a thousand years stands a fairly good chance of surviving a fair few centuries yet.

anagallis_arvensis

It would by me

gobuchul
    Free Member

Who’s being deferent? Again: there is a middle ground between forelock-tugging and dancing on their grave.

I’m not dancing on anyone’s grave.

However, putting up with this blanket of nonsense on our media is allowing the Royal family to be seen as something incredibly important and far superior to the rest of us. We have suspended parliament for another 2 weeks after weeks of a vacuum, while our economy is in taters, the far right government has granted billions of pounds of our money to prop up a failed energy market and there is a war in Europe, in which we are a major proxy.

It’s a shit state of affairs and something needs to change.

King Charles III, is a man who is on record on wishing to be a tampon.

His brother was a close friend of an uber sex pest and his mother paid off his victim with millions of pounds. We were told he would be stepping back from his role and yet he is all over the media, yet again! His beloved mother, chose him to be the one to walk into her husbands funeral with. An absolute **** you UK.

But yes, lets all tell stories of Queenie and how she was nice to you when you have given her flowers.

BoardinBob

I wasn’t a royalist at the start of the thread but I am now

greyspoke
    Free Member

we’re republican cos we hate the queen 😕 😀

By some measures UK is a republic

jambourgie
    Free Member

Wonder if they’ll do it all in one go? It’s a fair old journey, maybe a quick stop for sandwiches. Can’t imagine the entire convoy piling into a drive-thru… do they even have drive-thru’s in Scotland?

funkmasterp

We all become the older generation eventually though… Thus my second point about the dangers of nationalism, I wouldn’t have been as aware of that danger at a younger age, when if pushed I would probably have cleaved towards the notion that we could change society for the better by moving on from an antiquated monarchical system.

I’d like to think that my generation and those below have a different set of core values to those that have come before. This is reflected in the stats somebody shared earlier. The percentage of those seeking change is slowly going up. That can only be a good thing in my eyes.

It would by me

Me too!

Houns

I’ve got BBC news on (muted)until the cricket starts. Like the TDF it’s boring and I’m only watching it for the scenery

Houns

Hopefully they’ll pick Burger King as their drive-thru choice

johnners
    Free Member

Well, I’m certainly looking forward to the bunch sprint at the end.

slowoldman

Are we all looking forward to watching the queen’s final journey? Six solid hours.

If only there was something else to do.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Traffic looks light.

inkster
    Free Member

“Hopefully they’ll pick Burger King as their drive-thru choice”

No need, they’ve got team workers waiting to pass out bidons and grab bags at feeding stations. The TV cameras are there to make sure there are no sticky bottle incidents and that they throw the empties and energy bar wrappers out in the designated areas.

funkmasterp

Hopefully they’ll pick Burger King as their drive-thru choice

Pizza Express in Woking could do a buffet

scuttler

I see pictures of the queen and think ‘yeah good job, nice lady’ then I go a layer deeper in the articles and news items and in no time I’m being metaphorically punched in the face with repeated themes of class, heredity and entitlement and it makes me sick.

So yeah sad about the lady but the rest of it can foxtrot-oscar.

longdog
    Free Member

45min stop planned at Brechin Castle according to our local news, before they head to Dundee and on…

Got it on the TV in the background out of general interest, but no intention of riding out to watch.

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,835 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts with the Queen and her family.’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM