Home Forums Bike Forum Those ‘cheap’ titanium pedal extenders on Amazon…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Those ‘cheap’ titanium pedal extenders on Amazon…
  • 13thfloormonk

The unfortunately branded ‘Risk’ ones…

Any experiences? I can’t look past the fact that they’re titanium and pretty colours, as opposed to all the other brands which cost the same or more and are stainless steel or just plain steel.

What reviews exist seem OK and since it would be for my road bikes which are subjected to neither awesome power or big impacts, seems worth taking the chance?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Why do you need them?

kelvin

To make their pedals further apart? The question was if anyone has used them, and presumably if they’re robust. I’ve been looking at these as well, but I’m wary of them.

tpbiker
    Free Member

What could possibly go wrong!!?😳

I’d avoid like the plague personally..

mos

I’m a regular user of the solid S/S ones & I ordered some very similar to these from ebay for my road bike but in plain silver ti. Never fitted them as they seemed to be about 1mm thick at the point where the shoulder steps down to the thread and given i weighed 95kgs at the time, the weight saving just wasn’t worth the risk.

13thfloormonk

Why do you need them?

Bike fitter thought I might benefit from a wider stance, and last time I was out on the MTB everything did seem to feel better when pedalling. I’ve had ongoing hip and low back issues which anecdotally can sometimes be helped by a wider stance.

I like the idea of extenders rather than replacing two sets of perfectly good Look Keos with SQlab equivalents

13thfloormonk

Never fitted them as they seemed to be about 1mm thick at the point where the shoulder steps down to the thread

Yeah, that’s what is putting me off the 16mn ones, even less room for extra material. That said, the blurb that comes with the Risk extenders does highlight the thicker shoulder at the crank end, specifically to add material in this area. Where yours purely cylindrical?

My gut instinct is to go with the SS Highpath Engineering ones, but after postage they’re almost the same cost as the SQLab Look Keo copies with the longer axles…

paul-thomas
    Free Member

I use stainless steel ones on Gravel and road bike to stop my penguin feet knocking my heels on the cranks, never had any problems with them.

monkeyboyjc

Personally id avoid and find a crankset with a wider q factor.

Superficial
    Free Member

God no. Just no. Argh, definitely not.

Maybe, on a road bike, from a reputable company that isn’t hilariously called ‘risk’. But a far better option is cranks with wider Q (or wider BB if your setup allows).

the-muffin-man

Why not buy one of the sub-£10 pairs on Amazon. Then try them on a turbo to see how they feel?

Then buy the right cranks or pedals once you find the right fit.

13thfloormonk

crankset with a wider Q factor

Multiplied over two road bikes and a gravel bike? (no I’m not rich, just a hoarder 😎).

Plus I shudder to think of the complexities involved in running MTB cranks on existing road drivetrains, presumably requires lots of spacing out of chainrings?

Will suck up cost and weight of stainless ones to experiment.

Why not buy one of the sub-£10 pairs on Amazon

I think most of the cheap extenders only work with pedals that have spanner flats, all of my pedals only have 8mm Allen key socket…

zerocool

I have used some cheap steel ones from eBay on my hardtail and an ebike I hired. I’m currently 100kg and originally got them to help widen my stance when using a KRS seat. I left them on as I liked them and haven’t broken them or myself yet.

disherwood
    Free Member

The OP asked… Have you any experience.?… Have you.?… Is that why your negative about them.?

damascus
    Free Member

What’s the difference in weight between stainless steel and ti? Don’t be drawn in by cheap ti and nice colours.

What pedals do you have? Can you replace with longer axles?

somafunk

Be good to have if you suffered from rickets, otherwise I can’t see the point of them

Northwind

I don’t, but I’ve got a few Risk bits,they’ve always been fine. One of my favourite random brands, not quite as good as Snail and Cansucc though.

The actual component here is pretty simple- if you’d buy cheap pedals, I don’t see that it’s really any different, and I think they have a bit more meat to them too. I definitely wouldn’t go too wide, just because of the extra stress on the crank

ta11pau1

The OP asked… Have you any experience.?… Have you.?… Is that why your negative about them.?

1st ever post since joining 11 years ago and it’s to necro a year old thread?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

From my very scary experience of a Ti pedal axle snapping I wouldn’t go anywhere near them TBH.

I got hold of a pair of Crank Bros eggbeater pedals with sexy gold aftermarket far-eastern ti axles fitted. On my first ride using them, the right pedal axle snapped with no warning whatsoever. Very fortunately for me, it only snapped when I started pedaling on the gravel AWAY from the bottom of the really fast, really rocky final descent at Afan. To this day, it scares me shiteless what would have happened if it’d let go during the descent. I probably wouldn’t have a face anymore.

I wouldn’t use ti in any critical single-point-of failure application again, especially not that cheap far eastern stuff.

disherwood
    Free Member

ta11pau1….. You need a lesson in manners… Your type of comments don’t make these groups worth while

kelvin

No, pointing out a suspicious looking post isn’t rude. Your reply now also seems suspicious, obviously. Feels like a warm up to some astroturfing. Apologies if being genuine. It could be that this isn’t your first posts (either of you) and the posting record is flawed and not showing your past contributions.

13thfloormonk

Wow, holy thread resurrection!

Just to add some closure, I never bought the cheap titanium extenders and bought some SQ Labs SPD clones instead with 15mm longer (chromoly…) axles.

It didn’t solve the back pain funnily enough 🙄

If anyone wants some very nicely made SPD pedals with extra wide axles they’re in the classifieds somewhere 😎

13thfloormonk

Just to add some closure, I never bought the cheap titanium extenders and bought some SQ Labs SPD clones instead with 15mm longer (chromoly…) axles.

If anyone wants some very nicely made SPD pedals with extra wide axles they’re in the classifieds somewhere 😎

13thfloormonk

reeksy

Alright alright, don’t go on about it man :P

13thfloormonk

If recruiting an astroturfer and posting the same reply three times don’t sell these pedals then nothing will! 😆

kelvin

😁

The main reason I moved to flats was to get my feet out wider… I remove all the pins closest to the crank arms because I never touch them… even with washers fitted… if I was still on spd I’d probably be buying your pedals off you.

fooman

This thread had everything ;) how about these effort saving extenders? Yes they spin on a bearing.
    effort saving

kelvin

Lower your BB without buying a new bike? Out of the box thinking there.

zippykona

I bought these. They are solid and appear very robust.

Jtek Q+ Pedal Extenders relieve knee pain when cycling

ta11pau1

No, pointing out a suspicious looking post isn’t rude. Your reply now also seems suspicious, obviously. Feels like a warm up to some astroturfing. Apologies if being genuine. It could be that this isn’t your first posts (either of you) and the posting record is flawed and not showing your past contributions.

Thought I’d point out it was an old thread as it was easy to miss. It did/does seem very strange thread to resurrect!

This thread had everything 😉 how about these effort saving extenders? Yes they spin on a bearing.

20% energy saving? ‘especially on the uphill road’? Sold! I always wanted 200mm cranks at the bottom of the pedal stroke and 140mm cranks at the top!

oldnick

Is the effect cumulative? 5 sets all at once and we are in permanent turbo mode without the need for those pesky batteries and motors!

Big e bike doesn’t want you to hear about this one simple trick…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.