Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Those annoying cookie messages?
  • nickc

No of course not, but GDPR and cookies are different things, and it’s not the companies that are trying to follow the legislation that you need to be concerned about.

tjagain

cookie choice is a part of GDPR is it not?

Bikepawl – a pact with the devil with my eyes wide open 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I personally find wasting time scrolling windows and ticking boxes far more irritating than a few targeted ads, so usually click Accept and carry on.

seosamh77
    Free Member

tjagain
    so far I have had a couple of hundred pounds off companies for breaches of GDPR and have had half a dozen companies censured and forced to change their practices to comply with the law because of illegal use of data I have had to give them. for example my regulatory body the NMC sold my name and email address to a marketing company who then used this for targetted mailshots. I have no option about giving them this data. GDPR gives me control over how they use it. The NMC was forced to apologise and change its practices after my complaint. I have also had scottish gas, scottish power, vodafone censured for illegal use of data

Amazing 😆 So tamponjeremy’s hate for cookies is just an elaborate scam! 😆

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Seems a little odd that some forum users are expressing concerns about cookies and privacy, yet they are happy to tell all and sundry on a public forum about the ins and outs of their lives. On a forum that has excellent SEO, so much so, very often when searching Google, STW forum threads show in the search engine results.

I have no problem with cookie consent. I use Safari, ad blockers and regularly clear the browser cache.

Personally I feel the number of trackers (11 by today’s count) used by STW is excessive. Let’s not discuss the inability for users to delete threads / posts from STW. But heh it’s not my forum / business, if I and others don’t like it I suppose we can eff off.

Sandwich

Imagine the job the spy has of going through all the billions of users’ data to find what Jeremy has been up to.

You’re aware of PRISM? There are others on the other side of The Channel and Atlantic. The reliance on bulk eavesdropping is part of the reason that Manchester Arena, Westminster Bridge and other attacks happened. The 3 letter agencies now have too much data and not enough humans to analyse it.

@Superficial
    Brave browser FTW, set it up properly and Google always asks for agreement to their terms and conditions.

Superficial
    Free Member

On a forum that has excellent SEO, so much so, very often when searching Google, STW forum threads show in the search engine results.

They only pop up in your Google search because Google knows everything about your online life.

I wish it was 2002 again. The internet has got steadily worse since then. Except streaming services I suppose.

DezB
    Free Member

the reliance on bulk eavesdropping is part of the reason that Manchester Arena, Westminster Bridge and other attacks happened.

Huh? GDPR will prevent terrorist attacks??

The 3 letter agencies now have too much data and not enough humans to analyse it.

Huh? Exactly my point?
    Huh?

nickc

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/15/german-covvaccine-officials-play-name-game-to-comply-with-data-privacy-laws?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

rather prescient article about overzealous application of DPregulations with unintended consequences

Cougar

cookie choice is a part of GDPR is it not?

It is not, no.

The EU directive regarding cookies predates GDPR by a long way. It’s like 20 years old and the square root of frank hall to do with GDPR whose ink is still wet.

eight
    Free Member

i don’t really care, i’ll block’em on some sites if i can be arsed, but i see it as they give me free search etc. i get targeted adverts that occasionally throw up a product that inspires me go go off and find out more..

what i really hate is the constant “can you just fill out this survey” after every bloomin purchase. no i won’t unless i get something for it

squirrelking
    Free Member

There is a cookie consent blocker for Firefox (desktop) that I use. My god does it make the internet more bearable.

Or you could just block advertising completely. And this time next year you’ll be wondering where all the independent content providers have gone.

Och away wi ye, how did anyone survive before Google ads and such became the primary source of revenue? How did the likes of Descent World and Southern Downhill run for so long? Plenty of sites did and still do work off of crowd funding (or donations as they were known in quaint times), the current model is just today’s fashion and nothing more.

I’m with TJ, if advertisers are going to find stuff out about me it should be on my terms. That’s the thing about consent, it’s down to the individual and not society who gets to decide.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Those annoying cookie messages?’ is closed to new replies.