Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thomson dropper post – remote set-up advice needed
  • offthebrakes
    Free Member

Have just got one of these – the external cable version not the Covert.
    The instructions don’t really explain what all the bits are, and my google skills are apparently lacking, so:

1. Where does the barrel adjustor go? Does it attach directly to either the post or the lever, or does it sit mid-cable somewhere?

2. What is the component that looks a little like an olive from a hydro brake, and where does it go?

Ta.

titusrider
    Free Member

Just marking for info, mine turns up today but I have to wait until my birthday to get it 🙁

that makes me sound like a small child…. 🙂

gardron
    Free Member

So going from the remote -> post:

remote -> short section of cable -> barrel adjuster (you should be in front of the headtube area here) -> long cable -> post.

The little hydro-like olive thing is for the cable end to sit in to create a proper interface with the remote, so thread that on to the cable before you put it through the remote and the outer.

Hope that helps

bigrich

The clamp can creak as the shaft is anodised. Put some grease on it.

euain

I think the barrel adjuster is pretty much optional (I think – though I may be posting about a Thomson post failure in a few days).

My first post didn’t have one – warranty replacement that arrived last week did. I left it off as it didn’t seem needed – and was another place for water/cack to get into the cable.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

OK thanks to you both, much appreciated.

gardron
    Free Member

The barrel adjust is indeed optional, but I’d recommend it – for an internally routed one it’s pretty much a requirement though as they can be quite picky about cable tension. If you’ve got fractionally too much tension you’ll find the post drops the top cm under pressure but no more, so just back it off a touch. Too little and the remote flops around a bit. I just find the barrel adjust and easier way of dealing with this than re-tensioning the cable under the seat with a bloody stupid small allen key grub screw (that’s the one thing I hate about thomson, bloody small bolts)

BigDummy
    Free Member

that’s the one thing I hate about thomson, bloody small bolts

They are terrifying. I just know I’m going to round one at some point. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Thomson dropper post – remote set-up advice needed’ is closed to new replies.