• This topic has 284 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by grum.
Viewing 5 posts - 281 through 285 (of 285 total)
  • This should stop the 'term time holiday' arguements
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I went to France last year in August, the ferry return price with car was £70 – campsites were far from extortionate

How much did the whole trip cost?

I think many people here are imagining chavs living it up on state benefits in some Costa del Craphole high rise hotel when they ought to be working.

I’m sure that happens, but it’s not the whole story so don’t use it as a straw man.

Mike_D
    Free Member

I went to France last year in August, the ferry return price with car was £70 – campsites were far from extortionate.

Can’t seem to get DFDS down below £140 in August, seem to be able to manage £70 in term time though. And yes, campsites are relatively cheap, but still cheaper outside peak times (ie school holidays).

Surprising though it may seem, we’ve spent hours looking at ferry/camping prices. The holiday we’re planning to take (the same one as last year because we had a lovely time) costs considerably more starting the first week of the school holidays compared to the last week of term whichever route we take.

brassneck

Not wishing to pick on a provider (they are all at it) but try reserving a few weeks at Bluestone in Pembrokeshire. The prices vary week by week, and are considerably more in holidays. Supply and demand I guess – maybe they even lower the prices a touch if they aren’t booked by a certain date, automated booking systems can do that easily I’d have thought.

That said we have booked a long weekend due to an INSET day in our area not coinciding with their calendar. It was well over £100 cheaper than the following public holiday weekend.

brassneck

Oh, Isle of Wight ferries too. Far more expensive in summer. As were all the rental properties. As were all the campsites.

I can’t believe anyone is really denying it?

grum
    Free Member

Can’t seem to get DFDS down below £140 in August, seem to be able to manage £70 in term time though. And yes, campsites are relatively cheap, but still cheaper outside peak times (ie school holidays).

And the campsite I was in in France is 21 euros a night for a family of four in July and August, as opposed to 17 the rest of the year (there was some others we went to that were a lot cheaper/more basic). Petrol and food cost the same all year. So including the slightly more expensive ferry a difference of maybe £12.50 per person to take a week camping in France in July/August as opposed to earlier/later in the year?

You could get plenty of cultural experience/language skills that way too. Just saying – it’s not that you can’t have a cheap trip in school holidays, it’s that you can’t have any trip you want for cheap in school holidays.

Viewing 5 posts - 281 through 285 (of 285 total)

The topic ‘This should stop the 'term time holiday' arguements’ is closed to new replies.