Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 722 total)
  • This Obesity Thing
  • AdamW
    Free Member

It is interesting that during that there WW2 due to rationing and more management of the food supply by government that health of the poorest actually improved.

This is basically what is needed (within limits). Our genes say “eat as much as you can!” and we have a near limitless supply of fats and sugars. Its natural.

Improve transport links to increase movement, put money into sports/leisure centres and the like and do some actual regulation of the completely unregulated food industry (for a start stop Tesco putting loads of polyphosphate and water in their ‘organic’ chicken, grr!). Encourage people up and out.

I would sooner my tax money be spent on helping people get fit and lead happier lives than deal with the diabetes and weight-related illnesses. Prevention is better than cure.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Wrong again Mr Smith. 72.5 Kg and 5 10

Bit of a fatty then.

I’m informed enough to know that if a product needs a food label you shouldn’t be eating it. That does not mean I look down at the majority of the population that are getting more and more over weight. It is a huge issue, there has been poor government advice and there are massive industries in food, dieting and gyms that are very happy with the way things are.

So it’s the governments and food industries fault then?
    Well there is more choice of healthy foods available to me now than 30years ago and they even have gyms in all sort of places and running shoes are readily available (I see lots of people wearing shiny blue and white sportswear on every street corner) so the mechanisms to enable an individual to control their weight are easier to access than ever before, plus nutritional information is a click away on the Internet yet it’s still somebody else’s fault?

bails

Prevention is better than cure.

And a damn sight cheaper!

I’m informed enough to know that if a product needs a food label you shouldn’t be eating it

That’s a bit daft isn’t it?

A bag of rice has a label on it, doesn’t mean it’s poison.

_tom_
    Free Member

This U-Turn in dietary advice has had catastrophic consequences. It is no coincidence that obesity has gone up ten fold since diet advice was changed.

Excess fat is caused by calories going in being higher than calories going out though, so this doesn’t really work. Yes sugar is bad but if you’re eating less calories than you expend you’re still going to lose weight. Just as eating too much good stuff ie fat and protein will make you fat.

MrSmith
    Free Member

MrSmith plays the part of an utter tosser with great aplomb yet again. Bravo!

Happy to keep pressing those angst buttons. It’s like feeding a fat kid donuts, they keep wanting more.

Sorry poor analogy 😳

Just as eating too much good stuff ie fat and protein will make you fat.

It’s the governments fault if you do.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

It’s “natural” sugar and “there’s no fat” and “fat is bad”.

But you know that’s not correct, and I know that’s not correct…how come tubby over there doesn’t know?

Those with vested interests have been very successful in covering up the truth about sugar and painting fat as the bad guy. At least, up until a couple of years ago…these days the media is awash with the info, so to try and claim ignorance is a bit rich.

You don’t understand how ill health through obesity, or evolution, works.

Busted!

I do understand how “eat less, move more” works for 99% (actual figure may vary) of the people who need to loose weight.

Are you suggesting that orange juice is good for you or your weight?

No. I’m saying the sugar content is clearly printed on the label so it ought to be difficult to claim ignorance of the fact.

miketually
    Free Member

Well there is more choice of healthy foods available to me now than 30years ago and they even have gyms in all sort of places and running shoes are readily available (I see lots of people wearing shiny blue and white sportswear on every street corner) so the mechanisms to enable an individual to control their weight are easier to access than ever before, plus nutritional information is a click away on the Internet yet it’s still somebody else’s fault?

You’re suggesting that 40 million individuals have all individually decided to be fat and that they should all decide to be thin. Does the widespread change not suggest systemic societal causes? And if the causes are at a society/cultural level, and there are negative effects on society, should not the solution come from a societal level also?

miketually
    Free Member

Excess fat is caused by calories going in being higher than calories going out

Except it’s not. In December, I ate an additional 25000 calories just in mince pies, while exercising less. I gained 200 grams.

grum
    Free Member

Excess fat is caused by calories going in being higher than calories going out though

Yes, just like how the cause of crime is criminals – why do people need to over complicate matters by looking into them on a deeper level? 😕

In other news, I’ve worked out the answer to unemployment: more jobs. Simple eh, idiots?

Happy to keep pressing those angst buttons. It’s like feeding a fat kid donuts, they keep wanting more.

Sorry poor analogy

If only you were as funny as davidtaylforth.

MrSmith
    Free Member

You’re suggesting that 40 million individuals have all individually decided to be fat and that they should all decide to be thin. Does the widespread change not suggest systemic societal causes? And if the causes are at a society/cultural level, and there are negative effects on society, should not the solution come from a societal level also?

I’m not suggesting that at all.
    I’m suggesting that an awful lot of people lack the ability to make decisions about their health, apathy and a general laziness mean a lack of accountability regarding their own well being , it’s easier to do nothing and blame somebody/something else.
    Society/the state could press for change but ultimately it’s down to the individual whether they take the donut or the rice cake that’s offered to them. Whatever they choose it’s down to them not society.

miketually
    Free Member

But you know that’s not correct, and I know that’s not correct…how come tubby over there doesn’t know?
    Those with vested interests have been very successful in covering up the truth about sugar and painting fat as the bad guy. At least, up until a couple of years ago…these days the media is awash with the info, so to try and claim ignorance is a bit rich.

The media is awash with info about tumeric curing cancer, smoothies being good for detoxing, and adverts for diet soft drinks. Popular slimming groups still take a low fat approach (low fat yoghurts are free on Slimming World, despite containing sugar, as long as they’re eaten with fruit, which contains sugar). People like Gillian McKeith are all over the press and TV.

I do understand how “eat less, move more” works for 99% (actual figure may vary) of the people who need to loose weight.

Except it doesn’t.

legend
    Free Member

Well done on proving his point so succinctly, ‘legend’.

I aim to please

grum
    Free Member

Except it doesn’t.

I think it just needs people to shout it really loud all the time. That’ll sort it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Self control ah yes, the easy solution to everything. You should start a rehab centre or something. Tell heroin addicts that the just need self control.

I don’t think people realise how much our brains are affected by sugar. It’s like a drug, but most of us are users and there are fully legal dealers on every street and in every office and we are bombarded by adverts showing people enjoying the drug we crave.

It’s no wonder people find it hard, really.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m suggesting that an awful lot of people lack the ability to make decisions about their health, apathy and a general laziness mean a lack of accountability regarding their own well being , it’s easier to do nothing and blame somebody/something else.

And why are they making these decisions? Why are they driving to work, rather than walking or cycling? Why are they buying an Innocent smoothie and thinking it’s a healthy option?

Society/the state could press for change but ultimately it’s down to the individual whether they take the donut or the rice cake that’s offered to them. Whatever they choose it’s down to them not society.

But the individual is influenced by education, marketing, cultural pressures, poor journalism, badly labelled food, poor infrastructure, government lobbying groups, and a host of other factors.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m 35 and 11 stone. That’s appreciably heavier than a couple of years ago as a result of more sitting down, less bicycling and slightly more beer. It’s not ideal.

While I’m no fan of junk food, I [choose to] exercise precious little control over what I eat. Staying basically slim(ish) relies on restlessness, trotting up stairs, no car, gardening and as much biking as I can get.

I sympathise with anyone who finds keeping their weight basically healthy a challenge – it must be grim.

weeksy

Why are they driving to work, rather than walking or cycling?

Because it’s 20 miles and they have kids, therefore can’t spend an extra 1 hour per day cycling as they’ve got to take kids to Judo, swimming, pick up from child minder etc etc ?

robdob
    Free Member

I used to be one of those people who used to think “why not buy a salad, mr Chubster?” when I saw obviously fat people.
    But I’ve been on the brink of getting to the same place so I have sympathy. Even though I cycle a bit I went up to 16st (I’m only 5’7″). I only thought “I better do something” Xmas 2012 when I realised I was struggling to get up the stairs at home without getting out of breath.
    The weird thing is that I’m a positive person and pretty relaxed, but when I felt I was fat it made me feel really low (not clinical depression) and without thinking I’d go out and get a KFC or a load of chocs cos that’s what made me feel better. Looking back I think this is quite scary, and I can see why people who, even though normally sensible and clever like me, get quite overweight without even thinking about it.
    The added problem is that as you get bigger your stomach gets used to huge amounts of food, so you need more to make you feel full. If you eat smaller portions the hunger pangs can be very painful and it’s very very very difficult to start a proper calorie controlled diet.
    My experience of losing weight from that position is a story of the most difficult thing I’ve done in my life. I remember going out running, not able to run more than 30 seconds at a time without collapsing, in the freezing cold, in floods of tears, chanting to myself “I don’t want to be fat” over and over again to keep me going.
    I’ve felt the pain of how difficult it can be to lose weight when you’ve gone so far over what weight you should be, and know anyone else who has never been through that really has no idea how difficult it can be.

miketually
    Free Member

Because it’s 20 miles and they have kids, therefore can’t spend an extra 1 hour per day cycling as they’ve got to take kids to Judo, swimming, pick up from child minder etc etc ?

Why are people commuting further? Why are kids going to clubs, rather than playing outside? Why are the kids being ferried about, instead of making their own way? Why are kids being looked after by child minders?

deviant
    Free Member

It may be harsh but as others have said, nobody came out of Belsen fat and nobody got fat working on the Burma railway.

It’s a simplistic approach but it does work, in the two instances above there was massive calorie reduction and hard labour…. the ‘move more, eat less’ maxim taken to extremes.

In real life this means not kidding yourself that you eat a healthy diet when you don’t
    To actually eat a healthy diet makes you feel like a freak when you’re around colleagues who are eating normal\convenient\bad food, or when you’re the only one at the restaurant that declines dessert.

Likewise exercise is great and I’ve never seen so much apologist nonsense as on this thread, shameful on a cycling forum.
    Exercise burns calories, not much at the time but some nonetheless, more importantly your baseline metabolic rate (how fast your body burns calories) is raised, often for hours afterwards.
    Following on from this, exercise generally sees an increase in lean mass, sometimes in absolute terms and sometimes as a percentage of body composition. Lean mass is muscle mass by the way and it is the most calorie hungry form of tissue in the body, it takes bugger all calories to maintain fat but lots more just to maintain muscle, therefore increase your lean mass and your body will automatically burn more calories than it did before, even at rest.

There is also the cardiovascular benefits to exercise so I’m stunned some people have come out with the ‘exercise doesn’t work’ chestnut!

For those with hormonal problems you have my sympathy, low testosterone levels, hypothyroidism, diabetes etc etc is a genuine barrier to being able to do some of the above.
    If you are overweight get your Dr to do some blood tests, if everything comes back fine then you’re just doing things wrong with regard to diet and exercise. At least you’ll know.

The disease thing bothers me, it takes responsibility away.
    Surely diseases are caught and transmitted?…. as somebody said earlier, if obesity is a disease let’s infect Africa with it…. impossible.
    Obesity is cultural.
    We have become sedentary in our lives and convenience foods rule all.
    Look at cultures where food is harder to come by and is found in it’s natural form and you’ll see less obesity.

A few people have made the point about the prevalence of carbs in our meals, this is true for food you haven’t prepared yourself, unfortunately petrol station sandwiches and ready meals are full of carbs both simple and complex.
    If however you take some time to prepare your own food you can tip the ratio back toward the meal being more protein heavy instead, as with most matters regarding tackling obesity it requires effort, how much do you really want to lose weight?

Somebody wanted eating plans, this one is from a few years ago when I was at most skinny, after years of weightlifting I took up kick boxing but needed to lose weight to become a middle weight as I was far too heavy for my height.

Breakfast: cereal, usually 2 weetabix with semi skimmed milk and no sugar.
    Lunch: sandwich, not fussy, may be shop bought or sometimes freshly made.
    Dinner: rice with veg and chicken or pasta with veg and tuna… You get the idea, it was pretty spartan.

I drank loads of water (2-3 litres a day), enjoyed the odd of cup of tea or coffee and only had alcohol at the Weekend.
    If eating out I would have a starter and main and skip dessert.

I’m a little more relaxed about things now so you can chuck the odd can of coke in there today and sometimes a beer in the evening if I feel adventurous!

With regard to exercise I’m not convinced that the government’s ’30 mins of gentle exercise a day’ sends the right message.
    How many of the stunning physiques seen at London 2012 were achieved with 30 minutes of gentle exercise?… If the results don’t come people will become despondent and stop exercising, don’t sugar coat it.
    People need to know that shedding the pounds is going to be hard but the results will be worth it and it’ll happen quicker the more effort you put in.

molgrips
    Free Member

The disease thing bothers me, it takes responsibility away.

No it doesn’t. It’s a mental illness and has to be dealt with as such.

Surely diseases are caught and transmitted?

Nope.

weeksy

Why are people commuting further? Why are kids going to clubs, rather than playing outside? Why are the kids being ferried about, instead of making their own way? Why are kids being looked after by child minders

1. Because I live in the countryside
    2. He’s 5
    3. He’s 5
    4. He’s 5, the wife works too.

miketually
    Free Member

It may be harsh but as others have said, nobody came out of Belsen fat and nobody got fat working on the Burma railway.

I didn’t study history, but I’m pretty sure there was no marketing of sugary smoothies, or pressure to get to work on time in Belsen either.

Can we make a diet thread version of Godwin’s Law?

Obesity is cultural.
    We have become sedentary in our lives and convenience foods rule all.

Which is why we need systemic change, not bullying of individuals.

There is also the cardiovascular benefits to exercise so I’m stunned some people have come out with the ‘exercise doesn’t work’ chestnut!

Exercise doesn’t work as the primary means of weight control. Diet must come first.

With regard to exercise I’m not convinced that the government’s ’30 mins of gentle exercise a day’ sends the right message.
    How many of the stunning physiques seen at London 2012 were achieved with 30 minutes of gentle exercise?

Yes, let’s set unrealistic targets and goals. That’ll work.

grum
    Free Member

If you read robdob’s post and don’t feel a slight twinge of human compassion then basically you’re just not a very nice person.

Perhaps I could offer you some simple advice on how not to be an arsehole: ‘judge less, love more’.

Probably not that simple for you though I imagine. 😉

miketually
    Free Member

1. Because I live in the countryside
    2. He’s 5
    3. He’s 5
    4. He’s 5, the wife works too.

People, not you specifically.

grum
    Free Member

as somebody said earlier, if obesity is a disease let’s infect Africa with it…. impossible.

Wow what a monumentally stupid and crass thing to say. Thanks for repeating it as I missed it earlier.

deviant
    Free Member

So it’s a mental illness now, not too many pages ago it was a disease… like somebody can get struck down with obesity?
    Haha, total b**locks, it’s the same feeble mindedness that allows people to become gambling addicts, alcoholics etc etc…. pathetic people with pathetic excuses.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Just paraphrasing robdob:

The weird thing is that I’m a positive person and pretty relaxed, but when I wasn’t on heroin it made me feel really low (not clinical depression) and without thinking I’d go out and get a fix cos that’s what made me feel better. Looking back I think this is quite scary, and I can see why people who, even though normally sensible and clever like me, get addicted to smack without even thinking about it.

whoever said sugar was like a drug earlier in the thread, you’ve nailed one of the roots of the problem

MikeWW
    Free Member

I’m informed enough to know that if a product needs a food label you shouldn’t be eating it

That’s a bit daft isn’t it?
    A bag of rice has a label on it, doesn’t mean it’s poison

You are right and I was being a bit extreme.Might have been better if I had said if its processed its not likely to be good for you.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Haha, total b**locks, it’s the same feeble mindedness that allows people to become gambling addicts, alcoholics etc etc…. pathetic people with pathetic excuses.

just FYI, you’re being a bit of a dick here

grum
    Free Member

Perhaps I could offer you some simple advice on how not to be an arsehole: ‘judge less, love more’.

Probably not that simple for you though I imagine.

weeksy

Might have been better if I had said if its processed its not likely to be good for you.

Is rice not processed ?

robdob
    Free Member

Thanks grum. 🙂

When I see anyone even remotely fat out running I want to cheer them on, encourage them to keep at it because I appreciated every positive word.

The day I fitted into a medium shirt was one of the best days ever.

back2basics
    Free Member

i’ve skipped ahead 6 pages, so forgive me if its been said,

a big step would be preventative action early.

after the age of say 12, a medical is required every 3 years, if your X amount overweight, then your (or parents) personal TAX rate goes up by X amount,
    if your fit and healthy, you tax rate goes down.
    therefore those with a more likleyhood of using the nhs for obesity related problems pay.
    not unlike the extra TAX on cigs they “say” is going on NHS spending.
    of course putting a TAX on food would also be a way, but why penalise those on high calorie food but exercise enough to burn it off, even if its high fat or high sugar.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve just realised what this reminds me of:

Probably not that simple for you though I imagine.

grum
    Free Member

When I see anyone even remotely fat out running I want to cheer them on, encourage them to keep at it because I appreciated every positive word.

Wrong approach I’m afraid – what they need is for people to shout ‘EAT LESS, MOVE MORE, FATTY’ in their faces at every opportunity, as clearly they haven’t yet put enough effort in.

Edit: never been compared to Russel Brand before. Didn’t see that exchange but neither of them come off well do they.

robdob
    Free Member

Repeat those words to my face when you see me next. Please.

miketually
    Free Member

after the age of say 12, a medical is required every 3 years, if your X amount overweight, then your (or parents) personal TAX rate goes up by X amount,

There’s evidence showing that obesity/health is linked to poverty. I suspect your plan may backfire.

emsz
    Free Member

Wow, some pretty nasty comments on this thread!

Seems like it would be better if we joined forces. Yes there’s a bit if personal responsibility that needs to happen, people need. To understand that eating loads of shit will be bad, But the food companies need to change as well at the same time. If they can make all that amazing advertising work to make people want the good stuff then that would have such an amazing effect

bencooper
    Free Member

I knew an obese cardiac surgeon – in fact it probably killed him in the end. He wasn’t stupid, he knew far better than anyone here the precise effects of obesity on the heart, he was trying to take as much exercise as he could (I built him a couple of bikes suitable for his weight, for instance), he tried to heat as healthily as he could.

But, in the end, he couldn’t get the weight off.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 722 total)

The topic ‘This Obesity Thing’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM