Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)
  • This forum is completely unusable on iphone7
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Unless I’m logged in, it’s impossible to open/scroll through anything – it completely locks up. Fine when logged in / advert free.
    Iphone7 plus with no intentions to replace it yet as it does everything else okay.

bikesandboots

Unless logged in (and subscribed), it appears that every advertising provider in the world runs on the page. Within less than a minute my laptop fans spin up, which reminds me to log in again.

johndoh
    Free Member

iPhone 13 here – random reloads and crashes constantly 😟

pat12
    Free Member

to be fair its not great on an iphone 13

My Mother In-Law still has an iphone 5. Been ok but last week the pay for parking app for our area changed and won’t support the last version of IOS she can install. Interested to see how it plays out 🙂

Supprised Apple have not fusked it before now anyway.

tomhoward

My living room is unusably dark, if I don’t have the light on.

Poopscoop

Postingg ont Drac’s

iPhone 79 here

and ever

ything is totally ok#.

scotroutes

Even Apple are dropping support for the iPhone 7 in 6 months time. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect STW to ensure that your niche device/OS works well on the site

tillydog
    Free Member

There will be a predatory female along shortly to tell you it’s all your fault 😉

sirromj

I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect STW to ensure that your niche device/OS works well on the site

No problem browsing STW on my Google Pixel 3 flashed with Lineage OS. That’s got more niche points I feel. Ergo your argument invalidated 100% :-p

Damn sidetracked, only really came here to gloat about an Apple product not working properly and express my lack of sympathy!

CountZero

No problem browsing STW on my Google Pixel 3 flashed with Lineage OS. That’s got more niche points I feel. Ergo your argument invalidated 100% :-p

Damn sidetracked, only really came here to gloat about an Apple product not working properly and express my lack of sympathy!

So, how old is the Pixel 3, anyhow? The iPhone 7 was released in 2016, so six years old. I noticed that you’ve played around with the software, something the great majority of phone users, neither know how to do, or care about doing. My iPhone 5, when I replaced it, was six years old, and starting to show its age, as most smartphones do, continued updates of operating systems outgrow the abilities of the hardware to cope.

Of course, there’s a very large number of Android phones shipped with out of date versions of the OS, and which never, ever get upgrades…

Re: the iP7 – it might be worth making sure it’s fully backed up, do a Factory reset and re-install everything, starting fresh. Then set DuckDuckGo as the search in Safari, and install either DuckDuckGo or Firefox, or all of them, and set DuckDuckGo as search on all of them. Don’t use Chrome, and don’t use Google as search.
    I haven’t had any significant issues with STW on either my iPhone or my iPad for a few years now, basically because I stopped using Google as search, and use one or other of the suggested browsers. I also use a VPN as well. It completely stopped runaway advertising garbage screwing up the usability of the site, which is why I pay for membership.

RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks but that sounds like a ballache for a still current device. It works fine for far murkier corners of the internet just not an ad laden STW.

Anyway I’ve had a moan – carry on as you were

john_l
    Free Member

My unfettled Pixel 3 is absolutely fine (logged in).

Edit – it’s *ok* logged out, still useable but I’d forgotten just how many ads there were!

/Runs off to buy a 911 and book Vegas

Isn’t the simple solution just to log in, it takes a few seconds?

The site isn’t pleasant on any device logged out tbh, I always end up logging in

aldo56
    Free Member

It’s not that niche – I’m in the exact same position! So frustrating to use this forum on iPhone 7 that I don’t bother now…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

OP. Are you fed up
    Of the constant page refresh and then page death or something else ?

I don’t find ads a problem (non member) it’s just the constant refresh and then death of the site which no one wants to bother to fix

It’s been especially shit for doing this the last few days

In fact surprised I’ve managed to post this

nickc

The worst I experienced was my bank telling me that it wasn’t going to support it’s app on a 3 year old One Plus.

I feel sorry for developers, but tech redundancy is getting increasingly idiotic.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Have to laugh at @countzero, you say

I noticed that you’ve played around with the software, something the great majority of phone users, neither know how to do, or care about doing.

then in the same post go on to tell us

I also use a VPN as well.

which applies equally whilst missing the point that you shouldn’t need either the latest hardware or technical workarounds just to browse a forum that, for the user, hasn’t functionally changed in about 20 years (like most forums).

Hence:

It completely stopped runaway advertising garbage screwing up the usability of the site, which is why I pay for membership [of a VPN].

Anyway, I’m on a Huawei P10 Lite which is only a year younger, no real issues here using Firefox. It’s not helpful, I know, but this is why I avoid Apple and their built in obsolescence, you at least have half a chance with Android.

boxxer7
    Free Member

iPhone 11 Pro here and the site is as described by others, constantly trying to refresh and then it just gives up and I get a message the same as the screenshot above.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Ah, I’m glad it’s not just me..

I was going to post up about it being virtually unusuable on my iPhone 8 but was worried that some older boys would tell me off.

But you know, the ADS! Won’t someone please think of the ADs!! 😇

desperatebicycle

I had a laugh when I tried to post on my phone (Pixel 3a) – typed a big ol message. Takes me ages with my fat thumbs – got to the bottom and the SUBMIT button was hidden by an ad! Tried everything to move the screen, shrink it, nothing would reveal the button. In the end I tried to hit the teeeny weeeny tiny tinsy little X on the top corner of the ad… ping! Up comes Amazon somethingorother and I completely lost my post, no back button would work.
    I know hardi-har that’ll teach you for being a non-member! But what about all those potential new users who give up using the site cos it’s so crap? Wouldn’t they rather they stayed?

joefm

iPhone 8 is crashing. Most other websites work so just this forum software being junk as usual

squirrelking
    Free Member

But what about all those potential new users who give up using the site cos it’s so crap? Wouldn’t they rather they stayed?

They’re just freeloaders anyway.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Don’t worry, someone from STW or one of their friends will be on soon with a complex IT bod reason why:
    A) it’s perfectly normal
    B) it’s the users fault
    C) they can’t replicate it so we must be wrong
    D) we should report it when it happens with a huge essay of how/why/when/device/DOB/height/little finger length/grandmothers maiden name etc which you will never get any feedback from nor see any improvements.

Add to that the usual “well you don’t pay for it so stop complaining” replies and you’ll have the full house soon.

b230ftw
    Free Member

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/this-forum-is-completely-unusable-on-iphone7/#post-12296778

It seems like hard work on my XR.

martinhutch

Try it on Opera on Android. Mine just comes up with ‘forbidden’!

kelron
    Free Member

Yes constant freezing and reloading page on iphone 13. Also on the Galaxy S7 i had before but that’s just as old and obsolete as your iphone 7 so we obviously can’t expect them to work.

Superficial
    Free Member

Mine works fine* on iOS Safari. You just have to know what other apps to install to improve the UX. 🙊

I’ve said too much. The gestapo are closing in, I can feel it.

*Actually, there are frequent glitches, but it’s way better.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dunno if this is just me…

Previously if I wanted to read the forum (read way more than post these days), I could just read not logged in. If I decided I wanted to post, I’d just log in and do it. Recently, unless logged in, I can’t read new posts, it just loads up to some historical point – decided by god knows what. Which would be fine but of course logging in some days seems to require a new log-in every five minutes. It’s a bit painful.*

*not a whinge, as I don’t pay to use the site. If I was paying for it, I’d be a bit more cheesed off.

Andy_B

I’ve stopped being bothered by it. If I’m sat on the train I find something else to amuse myself with. I suspect I’m not the only one.

I pay – I want it to work but I won’t keep trying forever.

shinton
    Free Member

Chrome on MacOS works great
    Chrome on newish iPad with iOS 15.3 usually pretty stable
    Chrome on iPhone SE 2 with iOS 15.3 complete shambles as described above by the other iPhone users, even when logged on

For the 2 iOS devices, they are sat side by side on the same home wifi and the difference in user experience is staggering.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If I’m sat on the train I find something else to amuse myself with. I suspect I’m not the only one.

Correct – mighty strange business strategy though – “lets piss off potential customers so they go elsewhere”

shinton
    Free Member

Thanks @Kuco and @vinnyeh, what a difference!

DrJ

Of the constant page refresh and then page death or something else ?

Yeah same here. iPhone 12. I’m sure it’s my fault though.

paul0
    Free Member

iPhone 11 Pro here and the site is as described by others, constantly trying to refresh and then it just gives up and I get a message the same as the screenshot above.

Ditto.

Also on mac/chrome certain pages, actually I suspect certain adds, max-out the processor, fan starts running and then eventually it locks up and I need to force quit.

Haze

XR same experience, dreadful.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Same here , iPhone 13

vinnyeh

Censored for recommending a browser that actually solves the op’s problem. It’s a browser ffs, not an adblocker.

crab
    Free Member

Yes terrible here too, used to think it was my ancient iPhone 5 but just upgraded to a 12. It now just crashes quicker. Not really reading the forum anymore because it’s so bad. Hope they can sort it out.

the-muffin-man

I just don’t get the ‘Local News Website’ business model of filling a webpage with so many ads it makes it unusable. Seems counter-productive and must drive traffic away.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Try a different browser.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.