Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • This forum is completely unusable on iphone7
  • elliptic
    Free Member

+1 more for a very noticeable difference Mark, thanks.

Edge on Win 10 desktop here, previously I’d have the fan spinning up and STW browser tabs hanging completely for 20-30s while ads were doing god knows what in the background. Much better now.

Drac

Cheers for the feedback people and glad it seems to have helped.

scotroutes

Following on the “it works for me” posts, I guess that’s the same for the vast majority. It’s just that they don’t all feel the need to start a thread on it and it’s the same few folk who repost their experiences on these threads.

It’s by no.means perfect of course. I tried many times yesterday to start a thread, even getting a “your post is awaiting approval by a moderator” message at one point. So far, nothing. I’m going to follow that up with the Tech guys, even if it just means there’s some better messaging.

Cougar

I think what you’re saying is that anyone who posts content/replies is contributing quite meaningfully.

You need to consider what “contribute” means in this context.

What I’m saying is that on any forum the people who contribute content are a minority of visitors, and those who post regularly are a minority within that minority. That was in reply to someone being surprised that the forum was quiet during the night.

Without them there is no forum, no revenue stream.

Perhaps. Perhaps something else would replace it. Who knows.

So is it the other 90-99% of visitors (‘lurkers’) who are, in fact, the arse boils?

You’ve either misunderstood me or are deliberately twisting my words here. The lurkers are contributing, they’re providing advertising revenue.

I’ve explained this twice now, I’m not doing it a third time. Read back.

Superficial
    Free Member

<Without them there is no forum, no revenue stream.> Perhaps. Perhaps something else would replace it. Who knows.

It’s like a chicken / egg thing: Which comes first, the content or the ad revenue? Actually, it’s nothing like a chicken / egg thing. It’s more like if a tree falls in the forest but there’s no one to hear it. Oh, and also there’s no trees. Is it really a forest?

Cougar

I think I need a lie down.

Superficial
    Free Member

Maybe this will help? 😛

Cougar

🤣🤣

Rio

My god, I just fired up STW on Microsoft Edge on win11 not logged in, for reasons, and it uses 6-20% of my CPU (Ryzen 9) and 6GB memory. That’s extraordinary, most games don’t even manage that. Compare with unmeasurable % CPU and 158MB for my bank’s web site (no ads) on the same browser. What are these ads doing, mining crypto?

kelvin

I’ve been trying to browse using my iPad logged out… to stop me posting too quickly and too often in certain threads, ones where I’m guilty of being part of a “crowding out” problem, where the same old voices discourage other contributions. Anyway, the point is that it’s just not possible to read the forum logged out on my device. Pages will reload several times before you’ve managed to even read one post, never mind a whole page. Added to that, if you leave a STW tab open it causes other apps to crash. I didn’t realise that was even still possible with Safari on iOS/iPadOS, as I haven’t seen anything like it for years.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m back to the refresh issue. Any one else ?

tillydog
    Free Member

I had the cookie pop-up every page this morning, but deleting cookies for STW and Double-click seems to have sorted it. (Reported via the forum help page fwiw.)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Again back to the constant refresh issue even on the main forum view page

@mark

dyls

same with me as well.

piemonster

It’s like a chicken / egg thing: Which comes first

The egg …

onehundredthidiot

It’s like a chicken / egg thing: Which comes first

The egg …

Only because the egg is a dinosaur evolving into a chicken.

crab
    Free Member

Yes, crashing on pretty much every page within a matter of seconds for me. Shame, as it did seem better for a bit.

Mark

Yup. Something is definitely up. Investigating now. Sorry guys.

Edukator
    Free Member

You know the annoying cookie acceptance box that wouldn’t go away? It’s gone completely. Even after running ccleaner to clear all the cookies it’s gone. It’s made me strangely nervous about using the site, what’s the catch ?

Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.