Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Thinking about a Titus fireline is this a bad idea?
  • NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a Titus firline but never actually seen one in the flesh or ridden a 29er!
    Anyone own one or had one horror stories cracked frames etc?
    Or is it a modern slack angled fun trail bike?
    Or should I look elsewhere?

Cheers 🙂

thv3
    Free Member

Nope, love mine and gets ridden far more than any other bike I own. Bought as the closest thing I could find to a Ti 456 in 29er flavour, and it’s far better than I could have hoped for.

Large thread already on here about them.

Singletrack Thread

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Alternatively, the Parkwood shares the geometry and takes a bigger rear tyre (unless you run a huge rim, again, there a long arguing thread about that too).

faustus

There’s a few hundred grams and a few hundred quid between it and the parkwood…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s other advantages differences to Ti beyond weight too, but IMO 300g between them and £500, you’d save more weight buying bling bits.

faustus

True – and the parkwood isn’t a bad weight either. Decals on it are pretty awful though, got mine resprayed!

dantsw13

I used to have 3 mtb – now just a 170 Heckler for the Alps, and a fireline for everything else.

wwaswas

I’ve converted mine to SS since this was taken but it’s a lovely ride, gears or not;

My other bikes are all 26″ but this is great for rolling along and traction.

danti

Taken mine out on a Switchbacks holiday and it coped well with that.

They’re a great playful bike.

Android
    Free Member

I built one up as a mud plugger a year last December so I didn’t wear my EX8 out in the winter. Result, I have saved the EX 8 from any wear, I haven’t ridden it since. I keep nearly getting it out, then I just hop on the Titus.
    I built mine up with an Alfine 8, but now run an 11, it can be a bit hoppy occasionally but has more range, would ideally put a Rohloff on it but need to save up (or sell the Trek I guess).

I run mine in stealth mode – no decals.

frood
    Free Member

Great bike, go for it! I’ve run mine with an x-fusion slide, a 100mm reba rl and a rigid fork. It’s superb with the xfusion, it shows up all the (many) flaws of the reba and it’s superb as a winter bike with the rigid.

It’s got enough flex to be comfortable, and it’s a VERY capable descender. If I was buying it again I’d probably size up to a large (I sit between sizes) and stick a 35 mm stem on, but I love it as it is with the 70mm stem and dropper

neil853
    Free Member

I got one as a punt, bought the frame second hand and built from bits I already had, I’d never really ridden a 29er in anger before I built it.

It absolutely blew me away. It has great geometry, is a great weight and handles everything I throw at it which has included rocky lakes trips to bimbles along cycle paths between pubs. I think its absolutely brilliant, but then again I own one and I’m obviously biased. I have a couple of other bikes which I ride rarely now. Since I built it I’ve put some nicer bits on which included some nice carbon rims, these in particular were a good upgrade and feel much quicker/stiffer than the alu American Classics they replaced.

Drop me an email of you want more detail/pics

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi guys thanks for the info, Frood what size did you go for?
    I’m 5`8 and thinking a 16″ would be good for me. May look for a used frame and build it myself though

frood
    Free Member

I’m on the 18″. If you’re around the Edinburgh/peebles area you’re welcome to try it for size. I tried it with a short stem initially, but it didn’t work for me, but the 20″ codeine, which is a very similar sizing prospect, is perfect with the 35mm stem for me.
    I’m 5’11 but have rather longer arms at 6’2 spread.

thv3
    Free Member

NorthCountryBoy – As a matter of interest, I’m 5ft9 and on a 16″, and also in the Peebles area if you want to sling a leg over it for sizing.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer in lakes here but me be in Peebles in a few weeks time

thv3
    Free Member

Happy for you to drop me an e-mail to chuck a leg over it when you’ll be around, only thing to mention is I’m in the Alps from 22nd June so might clash.

youngrob

thv3, I’m in Peebles and wouldn’t mind having a sit on for sizing, when you’re back. I’ll email you. Cheers

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Thinking about a Titus fireline is this a bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.