Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Things to see travelling Holyhead to Devon
  • barrykellett
    Free Member

Facing the unenviable task of driving from Holyhead to near Plymouth on friday… I am looking for pointers on places to stop and things/places to see to break the journey up for two young kids (4 and 8)
    Travelling M6 and M5.
    Weston Super Mare for a quick bite and beach leg stretch?

Cheers,
    Totally clueless irishman

Caher

If you’ve got time drive through Wales and Snowdonia, the M6 will suck the life out of you.

bsims
    Free Member

You could stop at Worcester Woods Country Park for lunch. There is a big field to run around/ play football in, play equipment, Woods with all weather surface for a quick ride, crazy golf, bouncy castle and cafe. Either J 6 or 7 off the M5, I cant remember which as I dont go there via the motorway. It is right next to the hospital and they are building some facilities like KFC across the road.

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

Probably too late to suggest this now but something to consider for next time, Rosslare to Pembroke night crossing, book a cabin so kids sleep, boat docks 00:45ish kids sleep in car, roads are quieter and drive is shorter arrive 5/6am. I did this last week and it was easiest spin to Devon so far.

revs1972
    Free Member

I’d avoid W-S-M if its a nice day. It’ll be packed and a bugger to park anywhere.

A bit further on , junction 24, opposite the Argos Distribution centre is the Boat and Anchor ( you see it from the M5) .

We had a nice meal in there, and its quite a nice spot with the canal next to it.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions. Worcester woods sounds the ticket bsims.
    Snowdonia is for the way home, staying for a couple of days biking and a stress free run to the boat home. I just want to get us down to Devon as quick as possible tomorrow.

I am way up north jacksonwwirl, but one to consider in future. We have done the rosslare morning boat a couple of times now and stayed overnight down there after a good 4 1/2 -5h drive down.
    Either way is a load of driving. Hopefully worth it!

IHN

If you’ve got time drive through Wales and Snowdonia, the M6 will suck the life out of you.

This. That Google route would make me want to shoot myself. Across Wales may take longer, but it’ll be beautifully scenic. Messing about with it on Google, A5 to Shrewsbury then down to the M5 at Worcester via Kidderminster adds about 20 minutes. I’d definitely do that.

I’d also do Clevedon rather than Weston, it’s got a nice play field by the marine lake for the nippers to run about on, and it’s just nicer than Weston. Still 5 hours from Holyhead though, so you may want somewhere nearer (likw Worcester Woods suggested above)

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Pop in to Taunton? the museum is free and has a great cafe.

Home

Events going on for kids all week, I think that day is a Playground Games session for kids based around our childhood exhibition.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Maybe I will investigate the alternative route.
    I must admit I am dreading spending that much time on motorways.

Edit – Yea Ok, I think I’ll be doing that shrewsbury – Kidderminster -M5 route. It looks like a much happier experience!

Holyhead – Shrewsbury – Kidderminster – Worcester Woods stop off – M5 – Taunton Stop Off – Last leg to Ivybridge

Job Done
    Thanks!

tnrbilly
    Free Member

As mentioned avoid W-S-M, partly cause it’s s*** but also it’ll take 20 mins at least to get off the motorway and to the “nicer” bits. Then same again to get back to the motorway.

The junction before WSM is Clevedon, that’s a much nicer place to stop. 5mins to the seafront, pier, nice cafes for a spot of food and stretch your legs.

cousinzeke

Or Shrewsbury – down the A49 towards Ludlow, stop in Church Stretton, let the kids run round in Cardingmill Valley for an hour (national trust, but you pay for the parking only) then down to Ludlow and across to the M5 from there. Or just follow the A roads down to the Bristol Channel, and stop off at Goodrich Castle by Ross on Wye

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Short diversion to visit the Mendips hills, Cheddar Gorge is spectacular.

ddraiggoch
    Free Member

I did this a few times a couple of summers ago. Just set off a bit earlier and drive through Wales. It’s pretty much an all-day journey anyway, you might as well spend most of it in stunning countryside rather than staring at the bumper in front of you that hasn’t moved for what seems like hours on the M5/6 hell.

Effectively, follow the A470 nearly to Cardiff, and hang a left somewhere near Merthyr to plop onto the M4 just before the bridge.

If you must motorway, Gloucester services are owned by the same mob as Teebay

barrykellett
    Free Member

Well that went pretty well.
    Glad of the advice to avoid the M6 and M5 as much as I could. Getting around Bristol and on out was horrific enough.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Things to see travelling Holyhead to Devon’ is closed to new replies.