• This topic has 48 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by H-B.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Things to do in San Francisco
  • Pigface
    Free Member

I always say go visit Roaring Mouse Cycles, run by Chris he can give you all the info you need. They are on the Presidio.

theotherjonv

Fantastic stuff, thank you all – much to consider, can’t wait! We’re thinking of a trip to Yosemite or Lake Tahoe – worth sacrificing a couple of days, do we think?

Suspect that in Feb you won’t be able to access very easily unless you prepare well in advance, not an ‘on a whim’ sort of trip. We were on honeymoon in SF and NorCal in October/November 2000 and nearly got snowed in to Tahoe. When we finally got out over the rim a state trooper stopped us to check we had snow chains, etc. and when we told him we were planning to go into Yosemite just laughed…… I asked when roads would be passable again and he said ‘May or June’

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k4007314-Yosemite_in_February-Yosemite_National_Park_California.html

hodgynd
    Free Member

…be sure to wear some flowers in your hair..

dantsw13

The road from Tahoe to Yosemite is via the Tioga Pass – a very high altitude pass @10000ft and will be closed all winter.

From SF you can enter Yosemite via the western gateway, which whilst still subject to snow, will be open.

edhornby

I went many years ago in June and the Yosemite road was closed for 24hrs with snow, had to turn around and find a room in a one-horse town before trying again the next day. Save it for a summer trip

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Can’t imagine anyone has not suggested this, we stumbled on it getting lost over the golden gate bridge, didn’t know if we needed change to cross the bridge back in the hire car.  Imagine my surprise reading the words Nuclear missile battery.

https://www.nps.gov/goga/nike-missile-site.htm

Totally fantastic place to spend an hour or so.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Alcatraz.

Rodeo Beach/the Headlands.

Presidio.

Boy Scouts MTB trails inc Repack.

Marnee Thai – best Thai in SF.

Skeggs MTB trails.

Cliff House is good for breakfast.

Baker Beach.

Stinson Beach.

tuboflard

South Lake Tahoe is great if you’re going to ski or snowboard but I’d not go just to see the scenery. Don’t get me wrong, it’s incredibly scenic but not worth the five or so hour drive from SF. The first 3 or so hours of the drive aren’t great either, just freeway and only the last hour or so is in the mountains.

Even if you are going for skiing, be warned that they close the roads at short notice and are strict on enforcing chains. And Heavenly resort have a reputation of closing due to wind at the drop of a hat. Oh and it does get busy at weekends, though we were there for Presidents weekend so busier than normal.

H-B

The USS Hornet in Alameda was good both for a wander and the talk from a retired Korean war pilot and unlike Alcatraz (which was good) I think we were the only visitors.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in San Francisco’ is closed to new replies.