Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Thin softshell windproof?
  • 13thfloormonk

Not entirely sure what I’m looking for here, but basically a windproof that isn’t the the super thin packable plastic shell type, but isn’t quite as tight as a Gabba/Perfetto/Orkaan type jacket (or even quite as insulated as an Orkaan)

My weekend rides at the moment all start with an ancient Gore Paclite for the first hour or so until I warm up, but it’s ancient, sweaty and very black, so looking to replace with something a bit more versatile that doesn’t shed lengths of old seam tape every time I put it on and off!

It’s quite hard to tell from product descriptions which jackets are thin softshell and which are pertext style…

Ta

clubby

I’ve had one of these for a few years and have been really impressed. More casual cut but not too baggy. Didn’t and wouldn’t pay full price, but if you can find one on sale I think you’d be happy.

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/madison-flux-super-light-men-s-waterproof-softshell-jacket-varmcl20s00

mrb123
    Free Member

Rab Momentum if you can find one.

ton

i use one of these. a lot thinner than a normal softshell, but thicker than a windproof like a windshirt type thing.

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/mens-heather-canyon-hoodless-jacket-1890103.html?dwvar_1890103_color=465&pos=4

beagle
    Free Member

I picked up a Patagonia dirt roamer relatively cheap. If I lost/damaged it I’d be buying another immediately- even at full price. I’ve never over/under heated in it, quick drying too. Packs small, relatively lightweight.

snownrock

Gore Phantom jacket

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have an Endura top that I think had a plastic layer printed on the fabric, so it’s like a thin windstopper, but not as heavy/sweaty as they usually are.

I don’t think windstopper is as common as it once was, weird, as it works really well for me. But I don’t know the market these days.

dovebiker

Gore has created another, slightly thinner version of Windstopper called Infinium – has the same non-rustle feel and noe of the flappiness you get some looser cut garments in Pertex. Gore Bikewear also does different fits too – this is nice, but spendy:
    https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/lupra-jacket-mens-100853.html

breatheeasy
    Free Member

As snownrock says, check out the Gore Phantom. Love mine.

shredder
    Free Member

Rab

Borealis or Torque (little thicker)

Mountain Equipment – Echo

jam-bo

7mesh Synergy, Infinium front, shoulders and arms. Mesh back and underarms. Works really well.

jam-bo

Or cypress jacket if you want full coverage.

13thfloormonk

Thanks folks, the Phantom does look like the winner, basically what I probably should have bought instead of the Stolen Goat Orkaan perhaps!

donslow

Following this thread with interest…

I’ve been using a dare2b Ilus softshell for 3 or 4 years and it’s just right for me (as someone who tends to run hot)

it’s just starting to look like it’s had it’s best days so needs replacing

13thfloormonk

I have an Endura top that I think had a plastic layer printed on the fabric, so it’s like a thin windstopper, but not as heavy/sweaty as they usually are.

I have an old Endura top (Jetstream FS260 I think) which boasted a thermal gris fabric sleeves and back, and what appeared to be PVC tablecloth fabric on the front of the sleeves and chest. Bafflingly sweaty and made me very suspicious of their most recent efforts, which is a shame as they’ve released some nice looking kit.

b33k34

Gore phantom is my go to for road rides (mine must be a decade old and the sleeves are delaminating, but I’ll buy another when I need to )

Off road I’m really liking the Rab boreal is. No membrane, it’s wind proof just by being a tight weave so it’s super breathable. Packs small. Cheap too.

grum
    Free Member

+1 Patagonia Dirt Roamer. It’s just a brilliant jacket, and I did pay full price (ish).

onewheelgood

PSA: you can get the Fluoro/black Phantom for £80 at Blacks at the moment – that’s well under half price. Tempted…

13thfloormonk

Oh wow, good shout! Only decision is whether I can bring myself to drag a fluoro yellow jacket through the mud on my gravel bike… hmmm… 😎

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve two Phantoms each with a different cut so watch out for that. The older one is very old and was described as ‘next to the skin’ (or something like that) at the time. Ie it was designed to be worn on its own and it’s ace but cut like a Gabba/Perfetto.

The younger one is flouro and baggy. It looks like it’s built for Billy the Pie Monster and doesn’t get much use. Both have zip off sleeves which can be handy.

Neither are anything like waterproof but are very windproof. I’ve gone over 100% to Gabbas now or the Sportful Fiandre which is a waterproof (Neoshell) version/alternative.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I went through this earlier this winter. I ended up with a Rab Borealis.

It’s slightly warmer than my historic pertex stuff and I’m still readjusting my under layers, but it breathes quite a lot better and is more comfortable because its 4 way stretch, and doesnt flap either for the same reasons. Fit is ‘athletic cut’ instead of catering for chubbers with skinny arms.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’s the one! I get on fine with kibe, and I thought I was a 95 percentile sweater!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member
    Mounty_73

I have the Rab Borealis smock version, a great bit of kit.

chiefgrooveguru

Just to hop onto this, does anyone sell something like this with velcro cuffs rather than elastic? Being able to open the cuffs makes such a difference to venting without the weight/cost of pit zips etc.

jonnyrockymountain

I bought a alpkit Morphosis recently and really like it

cynic-al
    Free Member

My experience of softshells is that they really vary. From seam sealed membrane ones which are as good as waterproof to me (rarer now) to simply tight weave fabrics with useless DWR that may not be that windproof.

Del

Nice to have choice isn’t it?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

These jackets have velcro cuffs Chiefgrooveguru:

v8 Jackets

They are the same jackets that were given away a few years back with a the Passportes du Soleil event welcome pack. I really liked it so tracked them down recently and bought a replacement.

13thfloormonk

Well as I was randomly browsing in Evans I saw a mannequin with a Gore Phantom on. It was their last in stock and was a size too small but was lightweight enough and nice enough to persuade me to order one from Blacks in the correct size, happy days (£170rrp was just too expensive for a jacket that would spend most of it’s time on muddy duties).

gazzab1955

Have a look at Montane’s Featherlite jackets, super lite and keep the wind out, I have the smock version. Cheap compared to jackets/brands already mentioned here. Now my go to jacket, unless it’s raining, been using it all winter with just a couple of thin layers underneath. Lite and packs down small enough to pop in pocket!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Thin softshell windproof?’ is closed to new replies.