Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Thin gloves with a good feel that are warm!
  • gkeeffe

I can’t get my teenage son (16) to wear warm gloves. He says that they’re all too bulky and he can’t grip properly, but then says his hands are cold in summer weight Troy Lees.

Has anyone any ideas to solve this? And stop the moaning!

jam-bo

scott minus. thin palm, windstopper back.

onandon
    Free Member

Gore so are very good. I’m sure people will be along shorletly to extol the vertues of Aldi gloves.

whatgoesup

Gore windstopper gloves – thin, warm, expensive

legend
    Free Member

Fox Sidewinder Polar sounds like the sort of thing he’s after. There a 100% glove that’s similar too. Basically proper normal riding gloves with warmer materials and no extra crap (pads, layers, etc) on the important areas

cheers_drive

Yep, I liked my Gore power windproofs but they are now full of holes after a spill at the weekend. Going to modify them to work with my taped fingers until the fracture has healed but can’t believe the cost of new ones

swanny853

Macwet are surprisingly warm for something that doesn’t seem to be insulated. Feel ‘less there’ than my summer gloves (giro dnd) if that’s any use?

Yak

100% brisker are built for this. The insulation is only on the back and the rest is unpadded.

nickkent
    Free Member

I second the 100% Brisker gloves. They are not intended for sub zero temperatures but much warmer than summer gloves.

russyh
    Free Member

Third shout for Briskers. Plus they are only £19.99’from my lbs great glove for keeping the chill off but still having normal palms

deejayen
    Free Member

These neoprene ones from Sdeals are pretty good.

I suffer from cold fingers, so they’re a bit too light for the depths of winter for me, but they have good feel and aren’t bulky. In fact, bulkier gloves don’t do it for me either, so I’d probably wear something like lighter like these and fit pogies!

I’ve had mine for years, and they’re only now beginning to split. Sdeals do some other gloves which might be more suitable for your son, but I haven’t tried any of the other ones.

jobro
    Free Member

Sealskinz ultra gloves fit all the criteria listed. Plus they have a very trendy knitted look just right for the discerning teenager.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Fox sidewinder polar as mentioned above. Warm but feels like an everyday glove. My orange ones didn’t wash very well and are now a rather fetching shade of pink.
    I like the look of the 100% Briskers, I’m going to try a pair.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sealskins ultra grip +1

Waterproof and reasonably breathable too

euain

Endura Dexters. Great glove.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I used to use something similar to these under my motorcycle gloves.
    Pretty sure they were windstoppers. Used to also use them In general popping to the shops etc..

cloudnine
    Free Member

Briskers are good

noahhowes
    Free Member

100% brisker for me too. Super thin palm.

treksuperfly
    Free Member

100% Brisker are perfect for what you want

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

100% briskers are excellent, cannot fault them at all, in – conditions if its bitter with wind etc ive not had a better pair! plus you can run a liner undearneath without them feeling stupidly bulky

ive ridden down to -7 this winter in them, and they were completely toasty, cracking bargain for once money wise at RRP!

scotroutes

Just tell him to either stop moaning about cold hands or wear thick gloves. He’s 16, not 6.

gkeeffe

Thank you… I’ll try the Briskers

z1ppy

late to the party but can’t recommend Endura Windchills enough.. single layer and impressively warm in some very chilly conditions…
    There been some kick back on here, over briskers as warm glove btw…

DezB
    Free Member

Endura Dexters. Great glove

For summer! No warmth to them at all.
    Sombrio Shinny are fab, but seem to be discontinued. I’d replace mine with whatever Sombrio’s new winter glove is.

legend
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Just tell him to either stop moaning about cold hands or wear thick gloves. He’s 16, not 6.

or, as suggested by many many posts, get Briskers or Sidewinder Polars

verses

I’m another fan of the Endura Dexters; on colder days I wear a silk glove liner with them. But when it’s down below 1C or 2C I’ll have my Aldi finest chunky(ish) MTB gloves on.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Like the Defeet Duragloves here. Not super warm (more an autumn/spring glove for longer rides but fine for shorter winter rides) but light and pretty thin. They do a blended wool version that should be warmer but I’ve not tried that.

fathomer

Briskers here as well, really nice glove and a cracking price.

timber

Silk liners here. Can use them with any of the gloves, or just take them off once hands have warmed up.

haydenw
    Free Member

Quecha liner gloves from Decathlon. Around £4 and a thin fleece inner. Great for all but the coldest of conditions!

globalti
    Free Member

Your son is right; there’s nothing worse than a thick glove with two layers and insulation in between, which squirms on the bars and makes your hands sweat.

My cold weather glove is a cheap and cheerful job made from a single, dense layer. They shelter the hands from cold wind but don’t make me sweat.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Shimano gloves ain’t too bad, in my opinion they’re warmer than Endura’s Dexters and nowhere near as bulky.
    At the end of a day it all depends what is your hand’s tog rating 😉

Edit: it’s best to go for the next size up as they come quite small

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Shimano dexter for me to, great glove paired with some silk liners
    Anything below 0 and the Aldis come out

sharkattack

I know I’ve missed the boat here but I’m another happy Brisker user.

I regularly pair them with matching eyewear then do some trailside instabanging with my touch friendly thumbs.

DickBarton

Craft do a very good glove, my hands never get cold and the glove is thin. It stays warm when wet, like a very thin neoprene…can’t recall name but I’ll Google it.

Craft Storm gloves – http://m.uttings.co.uk/p122261-craft-storm-glove-men-s-black-1902329-9900/

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Defeet dura for me too. Even wearing two pairs doesnt feel too bulky but increases the warmth.

legend
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    Your son is right; there’s nothing worse than a thick glove with two layers and insulation in between, which squirms on the bars and makes your hands sweat.

Kinda makes you think that a lot of people don’t know what a good feeling glove is

19ninety
    Free Member

Got a pair of Handup cold weather gloves, nice thin grippy palms (hate thick padding, causes uncomfortable pressure spots on long rides). Not thermal or meant for minus figure temps but have a kinda fleecy layer on the hack hand and backs of fingers to keep the chilly wind off.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Thin gloves with a good feel that are warm!’ is closed to new replies.