• This topic has 123 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • Theresa May
  • DrJ

Has she mentioned that brexit means brexit yet?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Thank christ because those lazy b*****s need a kick up the arse In my entire working life I have yet to come across a more self serving workshy elite who wouldn’t survive without handouts from the EU, make them work with business and make the UK great again.

I’ll be as measured as I can in the face of such idiocy but do you realise that without the universities and their research most of the developments that will make the world a safer and better place to live in future will never see the light of day? Everything from medicine to food health to ground stability to the future of energy storage will start in a university.

They do depend on EU funding and when all that has dried up all the intelligent people at universities in the UK will go abroad. Britain’s power to develop new science will have gone and we’ll be some backwater country with no skills to develop new technology of our own.

Meanwhile business will continue to be self serving, fattening the wallets of those at the top whilst pressuring governments to reduce the rights of those at the bottom who need them most.

slowoldman

There is the gaping centre ground which has besn vacated by Labour and she’s going to fill it.

Of course she is. 🙄

We need a revolution in this country.

Or at least some revolutionary politics. All the while I’ve been voting all parties have just nibbled around the edges. There is no appetite for radical reform it seems.

DrJ

There is no appetite for radical reform it seems.

Not sure I agree with that – the brexit vote was a vote for radical reform. Unfortunately it was reform of an ignorant and self-destructive variety. There is a huge opportunity for the radical left to spell out an alternative vision. Unfortunatley they have so far totally failed to take that opportunity 🙁

nerd
    Free Member

The Team Sky method of government – say one thing and do the opposite, while having the press onside to press home the false promises.

Sir Dave as chief advisor once he gets the push from Sky?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a huge opportunity for the radical left to spell out an alternative vision. Unfortunatley they have so far totally failed to take that opportunity

I think they are still forming a committee to see who holds the crayon

dazh

There is a huge opportunity for the radical left to spell out an alternative vision.

Indeed there is. For that to happen though there has to be an audience. Even Jeremy Corbyn’s not very radical left policies have failed to capture the imagination, so I doubt many will listen to really radical ideas. Things will need to get a lot worse before anything really radical is a possibility. Brexit offers the opportunity for that, and I have no doubt TM will play her full part in bringing it about.

This is exactly the problem. People sit around on their backsides waiting for some messiah to appear with all the answers. The only way real change will happen is when the people themselves demand it. That’s going to take an awful lot more than voting for a Jeremy Corbyn or whoever else every few years.

slowoldman

Not sure I agree with that – the brexit vote was a vote for radical reform

No it wasn’t. The basic political and hierarchical structures of the UK remain the same. “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.

Watty

There is a huge opportunity for the radical left to spell out an alternative vision.
    Indeed there is. For that to happen though there has to be an audience. Even Jeremy Corbyn’s not very radical left policies have failed to capture the imagination, so I doubt many will listen to really radical ideas. Things will need to get a lot worse before anything really radical is a possibility. Brexit offers the opportunity for that, and I have no doubt TM will play her full part in bringing it about.

This is exactly the problem. People sit around on their backsides waiting for some messiah to appear with all the answers. The only way real change will happen is when the people themselves demand it. That’s going to take an awful lot more than voting for a Jeremy Corbyn or whoever else every few years.

Except they’re not necessarily. But of course we’ll never find out, because EVERY SINGLE NEWS STORY has a drip, drip, drip anti Corbin/anti Labour stance. Sky News will only play at making TM uncomfortable, Mr Marr may have at least tried to do it properly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

, because EVERY SINGLE NEWS STORY has a drip, drip, drip anti Corbin/anti Labour stance.

Has he given them anything for a good news story?

dazh

Mr Marr may have at least tried to do it properly.

Think you missed the ironic smiley there. Marr is a dyed in the wool tory, like most of his hard-left communist BBC colleagues such as Nick Robinson and Laura Kuensberg.

anagallis_arvensis

with a socially progressive agenda

Could you explain this to me please because what I see are things like promising to imlrove social mobility by doing thing proven to reduce it like like grammar schools.

Watty

It doesn’t matter Mike, whilst the popular press is constantly willing to disseminate drivel from the Conservative press office that everything’s rosy in Theresa’s garden*, there’s nothing even approaching a ‘positive spin’ for the left.
    Yeah Daz, way over my head.

*not a euphemism.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@watty don’t hold your breath, been done to death in the corbyn thread but he is the wrong guy for it, they need a salesman. May is actually copping plenty of flak over brexit and other stuff. These are the points where an effective opposition should be coming in. In many ways clegg should have stuck at it. Perfect time for them to make a comeback (awaits a tuition fee comment but honestly how much have people forgotten about the main 2 parties)

kimbers

Mr Marr may have at least tried to do it properly.

Well from the bits I saw she didn’t seem that at ease with some fairly tame questions

Blinking and stammering when discussing the NHS
    Dodging the question questions regarding trump’s mysogyny

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ve said it before, but she’ll go down as the single most disastrous PM in this country’s history.

Hardly. Cameron’s already nailed that honour for eternity.
    Slimy little shit.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The deal Dave struck was the best we will have ever achieved. That should not be forgotten. It will only get worse from here and Dave wasn’t even that good. His ambassador wasn’t bad though, so Theresa could always turn to him…….ooops…..

hatter

When Theresa first came in I held out hope that she was playing the long game.

Make ‘Brexit means Brexit’ platitudes to keep the headbangers in line.

Give your political rivals an impossible task by making them responsible for making Brexit a success.

Wait for them to crash and burn, removing them as potential leadership rivals.

Wait for public option to shift decisively against Brexiteers ( a process that is well underway).

Can the whole stupid thing and return to sanity.

Sadly it’s becoming more and more obvious that actually she’s just running scared of the loony wing of her party, UKIP and the Daily Mail and clinging to power, the country be damned.

It’s going to be a rough ride.

dazh

Well quite, but that was before anyone realised that the person who would get the job of steering the country through the monumental clusterf*** that he created would be a vacuous power hungry control freak with the charm and communication skills of an aspergic hermit (Elizabeth I is her idol FFS!), and the competence of a middle manager promoted way beyond her ability. Cameron looks like a Titan in comparison. I mean, who the hell says ‘Red, white and blue brexit’ and expects to be taken seriously?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Given the hand she’s been dealt she ain’t doing badly. Whatever she says or does at least half the country is going to be more than a trifle unhappy, so she’s saying as little as possible.
    No news is good news.

DrJ

The basic political and hierarchical structures of the UK remain the same. “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.

That’s what happened, absolutely, and predictably so. But once the Brexit voters realise that what they got was less than what they had before maybe they will think more carefully about what they need to do and the revolution can start.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Thank christ because those lazy b*****s need a kick up the arse In my entire working life I have yet to come across a more self serving workshy elite who wouldn’t survive without handouts from the EU, make them work with business and make the UK great again.

I think you’re mistaking reality for the jumble of tabloid headlines, bar-room grumbling and naked spite all rattling round in your head.

When Theresa first came in I held out hope that she was playing the long game.

Yep me too. But, like you, I’m realising that neither she, nor the motley collection of suits around her, have the faintest idea what they’re doing, other than being paralysed by a mean-spirited, insular dogma that has always characterised the Conservative party.

Socially progressive

😆 😆 😆
    😆 😆 😆
    😆 😆 😆

Sorry.

😆 😆 😆
    😆 😆 😆
    😆 😆 😆

dazh

Given the hand she’s been dealt she ain’t doing badly.

And that’s going to be her excuse for every failure, problem and f*** up from now. She’s already trotting out the ‘Cameron’s govt had no brexit plan’ excuse. Trouble is she was part of that govt, and she was less than enthusiastic at campaigning to remain despite her declared support for it, so she can’t really claim it’s nothing to do with her. She’s no better than Johnson, Gove et al. She has used the brexit vote as a vehicle to further her political career, and consequences be damned. Now she’s trying to shore up her position off the back of racism and xenophobia on the immigration issue (at least she’s consistent on that I suppose), and again, consequences be damned.

Funny isn’t it how football managers get flak for not doing post-match interviews as it’s seen as being part of their job. Obviously that principle doesn’t apply to the post of PM.

maybe they will think more carefully about what they need to do and the revolution can start.

😆

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

a vacuous power hungry control freak with the charm and communication skills of an aspergic hermit (Elizabeth I is her idol FFS!), and the competence of a middle manager promoted way beyond her ability.

😀

See also Nic Cohen the other week:

She doesn’t have grand faults, just the standard coding errors you must expect if you install a Thames Valley Tory into your system of government.

milleboy
    Free Member

Given the hand she’s been dealt

Sure it’s the hand she picked? No one in their right mind would want to be PM post brexit.

fin25
    Free Member

She’s an arseclown.
    She took over from an arseclown, who used to be in coalition with an arseclown to prevent that other arseclown getting back in.
    If you support her, you’re an areseclown.
    If you think Jeremy Corbyn is a viable alternative to this areseclown, then yes, you are an arseclown.

How many arseclowns is it going to take for people to realise we’d probably be better off without any of them?

Arseclown.

philxx1975
    Free Member

I think you’re mistaking reality for the jumble of tabloid headlines, bar-room grumbling and naked spite all rattling round in your head.
    t

Hardly 🙄 first hand experience of wastage, grumbling and watching the crap those of that ilk do to justify their positions. And those that support them are just as bad , fast way to finding millions if you know the right people , so sure university PFI should be the norm.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Hardly first hand experience of wastage, grumbling and watching the crap those of that ilk do to justify their positions. And those that support them are just as bad , fast way to finding millions if you know the right people , so sure university PFI should be the norm.

Sorry – I don’t know what you’re talking about.

thecaptain
    Free Member

She may have been dealt a shit hand, but she’s certainly making the worst of it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sorry – I don’t know what you’re talking about

I think Phil likes the idea of PFI, you know, this :

Crippling PFI deals leave Britain £222bn in debt

“Treasury data analysis unearths the ‘enormous financial disaster’ of Private Finance Initiatives”

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

She may have been dealt a shit hand, but she’s certainly making the worst of it.

We’re still in Europe. It could be worse…

mikey74
    Free Member

I suspect May will end up making Cameron look like a a die-hard lefty by the time she’s finished.

footflaps

She basically agreed to eat a shit sandwich as part of the deal to become PM. She’s spent 6 months staring at it on her desk, prevaricating etc, but at some point she is going to have to take her first bite and she knows exactly what it will taste like. She will then have to consume the rest of it over the next two years.

Probably why she looks so miserable.

And +1 on the racist bit, she seems to be genuinely unpleasant to boot, so probably deserves the sandwich….

Klunk
    Free Member

She basically agreed to eat a shit sandwich as part of the deal to become PM. She’s spent 6 months staring at it on her desk, prevaricating etc, but at some point she is going to have to take her first bite and she knows exactly what it will taste like. She will then have to consume the rest of it over the next two years.

Another referendum looks like the least bitterest pill to swallow at the moment.

chewkw
    Free Member

PM May is doing well so should keep on course to better future.

The economy is getting on nicely.

No more referendum on the same issue forever.

The fate of the remainders is sealed.

Hello 2017 !

😛

kimbers

PM May is doing well so should keep on course to better future.

Definitely low energy, judging by her interview today

chewkw
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

PM May is doing well so should keep on course to better future

Definitely low energy, judging by her interview today [/quote] She is doing fine unlike her critics the reminders who are all going in circle chasing their own shadows. That’s low-energy. 😆

mt
    Free Member

Look! As long as she don’t dither and buys the beers and supports an Independant Yorkshire she’ll be fine. Could you see Corbyn buying a round? Well yes but not until a committee of the brothers has been formed to ensure that all the beer is an equal opportunity brew with hops from a fair trade source and that any yeast have not acted in a facist manor. Bar would be shut and chippy’s closed for walk home before he got his hand in his pocket, admirable for a lad born in gods country but not for a bloody comer inner. What’s worse he’d never support an Independant Yorkshire, he be ok with them Lancashireites get in an nickin our trails an shaggin our sheep.

BoardinBob

From the interview it’s clearly a hard Brexit. Taking control of the borders means no single market. Joy. Stockmarket and currency should be hilarious tomorrow

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

An interesting, different perspective from the Guardian: ESP the penultimate para

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/08/theresa-may-test-prime-minister-six-months-brexit

BB – short £; long FTSE 100; short FTSE 250

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Theresa May’ is closed to new replies.