Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • There’s been a murrrder …
  • cinnamon_girl

in my garden. Pretty certain I’ve currently got a sparrowhawk that’s been on a killing spree by reducing the pigeon population. Should really get the binoculars but not feeling particularly brave.

That’ll be a right mess to clear up in the morning. Great.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If there’s any left, I have recipes…

cinnamon_girl

Thanks! Just got the bins and it’s not a sparrowhawk, it’s bigger and grey with a white breast. Any ideas?

piemonster

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Grey with white breast? Female sparrowhawk or Goshawk.

ElShalimo

Giant horsefly?

cinnamon_girl

OK, it turned round and had a patch of white just above the breast. Its silhouette wasn’t that of a sparrowhawk though, looked tall. Watched it fly off and it looked like a sparrowhawk with its underneath colouring but its size was definitely bigger. Have seen sparrowhawks quite close up before, in fact regularly on a garden fence which was wonderful.

Goshawk? As in ‘H is for hawk’ film? Again, too tall and this patch of white.

Baffled!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Midget Eagle of Death?

cinnamon_girl

lol and what a cruel name for a dear little dunnock.

Perhaps it was a young adult of some description, really wish I knew.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Are you sure it wasn’t a large white object talking about an alcoholic beverage in a loud voice? 😉

Twodogs

By far the most likely is a Sparrowhawk but, depending on where you live, and are v lucky, it could be a Peregrine…slightly bigger, with a white bit on the males

pk13

World’s largest link oops

oldtennisshoes

Sparrowhawk isn’t big enough to take a pigeon IME.

Sparrowhawk at casa OTS last week on a young starling.

cinnamon_girl

Certainly this bird had the white in the same place as the peregrine but its tail was a lot longer. This bird was different but it took off quickly although I could see under the wings was very patterned. It’s the height really that puzzles me. Couldn’t have been a juvenile sea eagle could it cos they aren’t far away!

Good pic there ots!

Also that vulture pic is amazing, so lucky to have seen it.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Sparrowhawk isn’t big enough to take a pigeon IME.

Oh yes they are. A bloody mess to clean up after too and nothing left for a recipe either. Last time be I saw in my garden it was standing on the pigeon after chasing it into the back door of the house.

crazy-legs

Goshawk isn’t *that* unlikely. I got a good pic of one many years ago, turned out (when I tried to identify it on here) to be an escaped goshawk. Had a ring on its leg.

They come in a fairly large range of colours too, possibly because they’ve been bred in captivity for centuries.

Bit bigger than a sparrowhawk but smaller than a buzzard.

Bunnyhop

Yes a female sparrow hawk definitely hunts and kills pigeons, which I’ve witnessed a few times.
    It could be a Goshawk as they look very much like a sparrowhawk but a lot larger.

My personal thought is a baby robin.

DickBarton

How do I get hold of one? We are now being divebombed by 2 seagulls who seem to think they are the rulers of the area. Something like that would sort them out…

bearnecessities

Nowadays a seagull would just swallow a sparrowhawk whole.

revs1972
    Free Member

Nowadays a seagull would just swallow a sparrowhawk whole.

After watching a great blacked back gull remove a competitor ( standard seagull) from the area of sea where the kids had chucked unused crabbing bait the other day I can well believe it.
    He / she basically swallowed the other bird down to its neck then appeared to try to drown it, vicious bugger

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Probably a female Sparrowhawk – quite a bit bigger than the male.

cinnamon_girl

Have spent ages trying to ID this birdie and still haven’t reached a conclusion. Didn’t want to go near the window, seemed unfair to disturb it so stayed at the other end of the room.

Female sparrowhawk is up to 50% bigger than the male which is surprising. Wondering if it was an opportunist goshawk due to size and colour although not patterned on the outside. Showed much strength by the way in which it was tearing apart its kill. Talk about being determined!

Loads of pigeons, as there is everywhere. I don’t feed the birds, garden is tiny and don’t want to encourage pigeons. Have a little copse nearby which could potentially be visited by a sparrowhawk. There is other woodland too.

Glad I don’t live on the coast, can’t stand gulls that really are a public nuisance.

Loved that documentary on the female who trained a goshawk. She was well and truly owned by that bird.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘There’s been a murrrder …’ is closed to new replies.