Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 439 total)
  • There were no girls riding bikes where I grew up
  • Trimix
    Free Member

If you look at horse riding, its very much predominantly females who take up that hobby. I’ve ridden now and again, it can be terrifying. So perhaps its very little to do with seeking out an adrenaline rush and a lot more to do with social norms.

LAT

last weekend i sold an pair of studded fat bike tyres, a pair of gravel bike tyres and a fat bike. the only people who enquired about them or bought them were women.

i live in canada in a town where there isn’t much to do if it doesn’t happen in the woods. not everyone is sporty or an outdoors enthusiast, but the number of women i see either solo, or in groups, or in the lift line amazed me when we first arrived here.

i’m not sure that women in the uk don’t ride bikes because they don’t like it. i think it is down to social and cultural reasons.

kerley
    Free Member

If you look at horse riding, its very much predominantly females who take up that hobby

There is something else going on with people and their horses though and don’t think that is a societal thing.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Not sure what you’re getting at there..?

LAT

horses take a lot of looking after. it’s probably the caring instinct that is being referred to.

scotsrouts mentioned “all shapes and sizes” wild swimming. this is also true of the women and girls i see out riding.

kerley
    Free Member

People have a very strong emotional bond with their horse which can’t be equated to having a bicycle and totally different things are at play between having a horse and riding a bike.

w00dster

Could part of it be that if I had a 14 year old boy I’d be happy for him to go off and ride in the woods with his friends, but my 14 year old daughter really only rides with me. I wouldn’t be comfortable with her going that far on her own. Actually I don’t think my daughter would feel safe going to woods without me. Possibly that’s something I’ve influenced, not sure.
    When I boy I was also allowed to go and play in the woods on my bmx with my mates.

bedmaker

But, well done Weeksy, that’s a superb display of misogyny right there. Maybe they just don’t like it? Maybe with attitudes like that, it’s not a surprise that it may take more time to demonstrate that cycling is for whomever wants to participate.

It’s not though, is it. In the mad rush to push the idea that genders are no longer applicable and everyone is the same, the loonier end of the gender brigade just daren’t accept that little boys and girls often like different things.
    Not always, that’s also nonsense, and some of it is societal norms as they grow up, but the mass of male kids and female kids have a natural urge towards different activities.
    IT’s just the way it is, no agenda.

Sandwich

most sports and youth groups like Scouts struggle to retain kids that age as other priorities and distractions come along.

Hormones do strange things to the youth (having watched a couple of generations as a South Leader). Then there are other past times that come along that are more fun and their own motorised transport (possibly the biggest influencer at 16/17).

lapierrelady

I was only allowed to play out on my bike as a kid. Mind you, we did grow up next to Broadmoor so maybe our parents thought speed might be our friend if there was an escape.

MoreCashThanDash

Could part of it be that if I had a 14 year old boy I’d be happy for him to go off and ride in the woods with his friends, but my 14 year old daughter really only rides with me. I wouldn’t be comfortable with her going that far on her own. Actually I don’t think my daughter would feel safe going to woods without me. Possibly that’s something I’ve influenced, not sure.
    When I boy I was also allowed to go and play in the woods on my bmx with my mates.

Last year a friends 17 year old daughter did a three night, 120 mile solo bike touring trip. I was a bit surprised, I’ll be honest, but I’d have no problem with my lad who’s the same age doing it, so I think it’s about planning, training and parental confidence as much as safety.

Subject to Covid restrictions, after her A levels she’s got a route round the country planned that will take her to every national park on her own. Though I think my mate is hoping to get a few days away with her for his own touring fun.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

People have a very strong emotional bond with their horse which can’t be equated to having a bicycle and totally different things are at play between having a horse and riding a bike

True – does that mean young boys might be put off it, or not have it appeal, for that same reason – that they’re given the impression that it’s something girls do? For everyone on our yard (and I’m the only bloke that rides/has ridden), the adrenaline rush is a definite part of it!

whitestone
    Free Member

Just got back from a ride in the Dales, on the trails between Threshfield, Malham Tarn and Arncliffe. Met five other riders – of the seven out, that’s including my wife and I, four were women.

matt_outandabout

We’re doing a lot of thinking and actioning at work around being outdoors and minority groups.

I do think mountain biking has an issue, no different to most other outdoor adventure sports.

We’ve still mainly got products designed by men, logo’d up by men, presented in a set of photos taken by men, with marketing wording by men, bought in shops run by men, ridden by groups of men, from clubs dominated by men, on trails built by men, discussed on a forum by men (etc).

Replace ‘men’ with ‘white’, ‘affluent’, ‘hetrosexual’ and more.

Such a dominance has an impact – and not to the benefit of anyone outside of the male, white, affluent and mobile MTB scene.

anagallis_arvensis

Is there more ‘inertia’ in cycling participation?

As compared to running was the comment.
    My view is influenced by my partner taking up road biking and seeing how confident she has become. I think a lot of boys may well have been shown how to fix punctures etc as kids so are more confident. Even now worry about dealing with mechanicals is her biggest issue and it’s why she likes riding with a club, they are trying to increase the women members and holding basic bike maintenance courses. There is no reason why anyone can’t fix a puncture or mend a chain some are just less likely to have been shown.

This play she’s doing might help a few understand!!

https://whatsonreading.com/on-track

woots787
    Free Member

I’ve got two young daughters, when we’re out the youngest often has strangers tell her she’s pretty, the eldest that she has lovely hair, never the other way round. They never have strangers tell them they are strong or brave or ‘soldiers’ so guess what they value. Same with TV programs and school, as the comment above there are societal norms that will take several generations to ease off. On the plus side there are some great riders making great content, Vero makes bikes look fun and that will do more good than me worrying about why the heroine in their favourite programme has to dress and look like that.

molgrips
    Free Member

On the other side of the coin, wild/open water swimming seems to be a predominantly female activity.

This could be because it’s becoming popular relatively recently and so doesn’t have baggage associated with it.

In the mad rush to push the idea that genders are no longer applicable and everyone is the same

I think you’ve missed the point. We’re trying to underline that everyone is in fact different, rather than the same as everyone else with the same gender/race/sexual preference etc.

Of course not everyone wants to ride, and it may well be the case that more men are predisposed to enjoy cycling.

But the key point is that we cannot assume that any given woman wouldn’t want to ride. Or that latent women cyclists dont need encouragement just like latent men or whoever else.

didnthurt

What a fantastic video, I really enjoyed that.

joshvegas
    Free Member

They just look like they’re havingfun in tshirts and shorts.

Aka “dicking about” i think mountainbiking in general would attract more people of any type of people actually looked like they were just having fun. A quick spin round glentress carpark looks like receday sometimes, all the gear,serious faces, planning.

undarra
    Free Member

What a great video. What struck me was the lack of MTB specific clothing/padding/shoes etc. and it looked so simple and so much fun. Just like when i first rode as a kid just messing around in the woods. the riding was awesome too.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There was me thinking FOD had done something right as when we were there earlier this week it was a pleasant surprise just how many woman and girls were riding. The ratio was much higher than we have round in other trail centres

We live here & would agree, there is actually quite a strong ladies scene of locals, and a chunk of them are not what I would even class as hobby bikers, they are pinners 🙂

Relatively, it’s still not many, but they do push quite hard round here to be inclusive and encourage participation.

Although at weekends when the out of towners/punters descend on the cycle centre it’s a bit of a bro fest.

DezB
    Free Member

Great video that. I see a lot of girls round here on step-thu bikes, not sure if they quite enjoy speed as much as the three in the video. Also, lately pairs of women on gravel bikes seems to be a thing. Pretty cool to see.
    Anyone notice the film credits.. all men. Where are the women in “extreme sport” film making?? Makes you think.

kerley
    Free Member

True – does that mean young boys might be put off it, or not have it appeal, for that same reason – that they’re given the impression that it’s something girls do?

Still think horse riding is a bad comparison as there seems to be an attraction to the horse involved for whatever reason.
    Although saying that, maybe men have an attraction to the bicycle (wheels, gears, carbon etc,.) that isn’t their for women (nature or nurture, who knows) as it seems clear by number of women runners, as previously mentioned, that it is the method of exercise here.

DezB
    Free Member

What struck me was the lack of MTB specific clothing/padding/shoes etc

They also ate mud in the video. If you catch my drift (no pun intended)

AlexSimon

A quick spin round glentress carpark looks like receday sometimes, all the gear,serious faces, planning.

Agree, although Glentress top car park seems to have a great mix of all ages and sexes when I’ve been there. I’ve always enjoyed the fact that whole families seem to go there and find something to love.

scotroutes

Anyone notice the film credits.. all men. Where are the women in “extreme sport” film making?? Makes you think.

Women don’t do all that techy stuff…..

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m sure a great number are put off by being dragged round a trail centre on a bso weighing 20kg whilst their boyfriend is on 2 grands worth of bike. That’s certainly a situation I’ve seen played out a number of times over the years.

The comparison with ow swimming is interesting. I did a lot last year due to pool closures and women were always in the majority. This is despite the fact that there are barriers that might be reasonably expected to impact women more than men e.g. lack of toilets and changing facilities.

mrb123
    Free Member

Don’t they just wee in the water like everyone else?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Don’t they just wee in the water like everyone else?

Have a little think about what women might need to use bathroom facilities for that would never be an issue for men

kerley
    Free Member

Is it to do their hair and makeup?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’m sure a great number are put off by being dragged round a trail centre on a bso weighing 20kg whilst their boyfriend is on 2 grands worth of bike. That’s certainly a situation I’ve seen played out a number of times over the years.

AKA “I’ll just buy something cheap in case she doesn’t like it”, thus ensuring a self-fulfilling prophesy..

stevextc
    Free Member

That’s sexism, right there. Ascribing characteristics for preferences to half the world.

Ever wonder why they might not enjoy it? The adrenaline argument is bollocks because there’s far more to cycling than that.

Nope it’s just what people have chosen to do.
    You can hardly argue the UK doesn’t have any female role models for female DH… (Tracey included) but of people don’t find spending x months a year in physio then that’s up to them.

I’m was just (as in 20m mins ago) chatting with a mate (female in her 50’s) who just got her fibia and tibia pinned after breaking them last weekend. She was messaging me from post op.

Haha got oramorph in hospital but not sure how much that helped , the nurses would come around and say oramorph….ummm yes please . Not got anything better than co codimol to take home though. No not as bad as first thought. They guesstimate I will be back cycling in 4 months , they don’t know me so hopefully sooner. High impact sports will take longer so cross fit and running hard to say for sure.

I was encouraging her by linking to my son’s Aunt who got rebuilt with pins from the waist down a month or so ago after an avalanche .. this is her.

https://www.today.com/video/dramatic-video-shows-helicopter-rescue-of-5-buried-in-poland-avalanche-1435142211979

she lost the end of her finger last year… and was back on a bike in 2 weeks..
    She’s now pushing to be back on a bike ….

Her SISTER (brought up in the same house) however wouldn’t wander off concrete… in a million years she wouldn’t do the walks I did with my 82yr old mum last week… nor would their brother but mum and dad (sons grandparents would)

If someone of any gender doesn’t like this then we shouldn’t be trying to push them into something they don’t enjoy. I find road very scary and totally lacking in joy… as does my 11yr old son… I don’t see how that would specifically change if it was an 11yr old daughter…
    Meetup before last we rode with 2 teenage girls, 2 dads and 12 mum … and my lad was the only boy.. then 2 days later were riding with 1 boy + mum + dad (unfortunatly mum is the above so off a bike for a few weeks)

ayjaydoubleyou

most sports and youth groups like Scouts struggle to retain kids that age as other priorities and distractions come along.

there is a transition in all these activities where it changes from “group childcare for anyone vaguely interested and competent” one night a week to the expectation that any given activity requires multiple weeknights, most weekends, and possibly some independent/homework aspect too. They have to pick one or two things to stick with.

stevextc
    Free Member

One of my ex’s does this specifically. Anything extreme, especially if it involves climbing she’s at it like a magnet.

If you watched life on earth you’ll have seen her … and if you saw any filmed from the most dangerous possible location that’d likely be her.

doomanic

Up until the point that we spawned offspring my wife rode with our group most weekends and wasn’t the only female in the group. She was on the worst bike, but so was I, as money was tight and we had identical Saracen rigid steel MTBs and it wasn’t until she mostly stopped that I started spending more on my bikes. I wouldn’t dream of dragging her out now on a BSO while I’m rocking £5k of eGnarr so I’d stump up for a hire ebike if she wanted to ride.

MoreCashThanDash

there is a transition in all these activities where it changes from “group childcare for anyone vaguely interested and competent” one night a week to the expectation that any given activity requires multiple weeknights, most weekends, and possibly some independent/homework aspect too. They have to pick one or two things to stick with.

Very true, having been through it with our kids

stevextc
    Free Member

From when/where I grew up the difference is that today there is more of an expectation of organised activity. I was amused the other day to see a post by a much younger than me mum saying “I suppose kids today don’t need as much organised activity”.

Makes me think perhaps we are on a cycle ??? (pun intended)

We just had a week in N. Yorks where the kids (M/F) just went Enid Blighton/Arthur Ransome for a week. They came back wet from swimming in the river and full of mud every day.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nope it’s just what people have chosen to do.

But why?

There are some people who will always do a particular thing because they are totally driven and single minded. There are others who will never do the thing, because they genuinely hate it. But there are a huge number of people in between who could pick it up if or not if the conditions were right.

Take me for example. I’m a cyclist, I do both road and off-road but the MTB is where my heart really is. However, I could have done pretty much any outdoor activity and enjoyed it just the same. And even indoor ones – there are loads of things I’m interested in (e.g. martial arts, to name one) that I could have done. But I was never really exposed to those things, I didn’t know where to start, I didn’t know other people who did them, so I never did. A good example is Rugby. I think I could have been pretty good at it, but attending an English state school we did no more than a taster series of 7s. Had I grown up in Wales, and done it in school, I might have progressed to a decent level.

Now I am ok with this generally because I was lucky enough to find fitness activities that I enjoy and it was easy for me to pick it up and take part. But if I hadn’t had the opportunities (my parents used to ride recreationally, and I met friends who MTBed at college), the opportunities (my parents mostly funded my first entry level bike purchase, and I had decent riding nearby) then I would not have taken it up.

My point is that the environment in which you grown up has a huge effect on what you end up doing – because you do the things that you can ‘see yourself’ doing. And if people of either gender don’t ‘see themselves’ doing it then they wont.

You run the risk of assuming that because female participation is low, that means that women just don’t want to. But there are many reasons not to assume that, if you just think about it a bit. As a cycling male assuming there’s no problem with female participation could be considered as sexism or at least gender issue blindness.

anagallis_arvensis

You can keep try molgrips, I don’t think he will get it though!!!

steamtb

That is one of the brilliant videos I watched with my seven year old daughter, Amber; she really likes anything like that and loves watching the Sophie / Lyon vids and anything with girls / females having fun on bikes.

Opportunity and exposure to mtb is a big issue. We live in Shropshire, surrounded by amazing places to ride and you rarely see young girls riding, but then their parents never give them the opportunity to be exposed to it. At best they get given a heavy piece of rubbish with ribbons and tat strapped to it when they could buy a decent second hand mtb for the same price. We would ride alone, but I put in the effort to find a decent second hand mountain bike for Ambers best friend so she could at least try it, I’m also the one who looks after the bike and we just keep it our house now as her parents wouldn’t be bothered to do anything with it. This does mean that her friend had the opportunity to try biking, absolutely loves it and so now rides with us. I will be collecting them both from school today and we will head out to the trails for a few hours of fun!

Someone mentioned above that it could be harder for smaller girls as strength might be a limiting factor. I would say the opposite can be true once they’ve got a bit bike fit; biking is a great leveller. There are hills around here that some of my low to moderately fit friends can’t get up without pushing the last little bit, my daughter at seven and on 20 inch wheels goes up that in fourth gear now and they wouldn’t try and keep up with her down a fast technical trail, especially if its a bit slippy.

When we are on the trails, I’ve not had any of the appearance comments as some have had, usually its exactly the opposite; people tell her she is brave and amazing on a bike!

I just wish more girls had the support and opportunity to try something that could really change their lives. It makes me wonder if people have undertaken qualifications and started a club at a local school for example? I realise some staff at schools have done that, I mean people who have completely different careers… the flying squirrels group in the US looks amazing 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 439 total)

The topic ‘There were no girls riding bikes where I grew up’ is closed to new replies.