Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • The ultimate NIMBY?
  • Rich_s

Similar to the Sting story was Patrick Stewart having a minor grump about his house in the Dales being affected by aircraft entering and exiting Wensleydale in the early 90s.

Didn’t take long for the pilots to work out where he lived and fly just that little bit closer… Probably why the RAF only have 4 and a half planes these days.

martinhutch

Probably why the RAF only have 4 and a half planes these days.

Photon torpedoes?

hora
    Free Member

Didn’t take long for the pilots to work out where he lived and fly just that little bit closer

Seriously?

😆

nedrapier

Let’s not forget the sanctimonious Sting. Who complained about the noise of planes flying out of boscombe. The RAF had been there long before him.

Should have just been happy that he moved in after the Vulcans moved out!

pondo

I done a bit of motocross back in the day, and that sport has been devastated by this issue – tracks, even long-standing, well established tracks, have been shut down all over the shop. The pity of it is, they don’t normally get massive amounts of use (I’m hazy on this but think there’s a 12 day annual limit on using the land for that kind of thing, I dunno, without planning permission or something).

In all fairness, the sport didn’t help itself because there was a big push towards four strokes mebbe ten or twelve years ago, and the noise from them things travels further – especially the earlier ones that weren’t as well silenced, and before noise was so clearly such an issue.

Also have a very shady recollection of a race track (Cadwell springs to mind) that faced closure or restriction based on noise complaints from a family (or relative of a family) that moved to the area because one of them WORKED at the circuit. Crazy.

konabunny
    Free Member

You’re all wrong. Noise/light/smoke is either a public nuisance or it isn’t. It doesn’t matter when the people affected by it became affected by it. You wouldn’t put up with a neighbour treating you badly just because the old sucker put up with it.

built a full thirty years after the primary school it is situated next to are always complaining about the noise and parking of the school that was clearly there before anyone put a spade in the ground

I bet the traffic volume of the school thirty years ago was very different…

pondo

Thirty years ago, yeah – last week? Not so much.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My “neighbour” appeared at my door about a month back asking me to sign a petition to stop them building houses in the field behind the field opposite my house.

I said well 2 things , i dont think i have a right to sign that as i did my research before i bought and those plans were lodged before i bought and 2. i think it will be good for the area as it will bring in services – the builders have been told they have to bring in mains sewarage from the village(communual) septic tank atm for us , new water mains and upgrade the electrics as the transformer on a pole is at the end of my drive and is strained with just the 15 of so houses we have on it ….

Im not entirely sure he was actually a neighbour as ive never seen him before and like i said there are only 15 or so of us….

Tbh i thought this was going to be about the land owner chunt in stirling putting up screw topped fences to keep folks off his estate. Dick

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I used to work at a national sports stadium, which was established well over 100 years ago. It used to take over 140K fans (wikifact)and now does around 52K. Depsite the stadium predating all of the local residents many still called the stadium each and everytime there was a match or concert to complain about the noise!

zbonty

A local nightclub thats been there since the 1970’s had various nights ruined as it was deemed too noisy.. by the (probably deaf) residents of the old peoples home newly built behind it.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Quite a common one that. Ooh, it’s a great, vibrant, city centre location, let’s buy the flat opposite the club and then petition to have it closed down 😈

See: Ministry Of Sound

zokes
    Free Member

Yes, but there is a lot at steak.

Stop milking it…

bigjim

A friend at the council is dealing with someone who has been complaining about

I used to work for the council parks department, and couldn’t believe the number of complaints people made about crazy things like “the tree over the road from my house is dirty”, or “the leaves are landing on my lawn”, etc, etc. Every one required investigation, visits, and so on, it just sucked up so much time and money. Then there were the serial complainers who were basically full time finding things to complain about. Bit sad really.

jonnouk
    Free Member

I done a bit of motocross back in the day, and that sport has been devastated by this issue – tracks, even long-standing, well established tracks, have been shut down all over the shop. The pity of it is, they don’t normally get massive amounts of use (I’m hazy on this but think there’s a 12 day annual limit on using the land for that kind of thing, I dunno, without planning permission or something).

I’ve taken up Enduro/hares and one thing that strikes me as odd is the disregard to noise by some people who turn up. There are time-limits when engines can be turned on yet quite a few take no notice of it and get warming up their engines on the limiter the moment they arrive. It’s not like these courses are dedicated racetracks, they’re private estates and farms.

I’ve also heard that noise wasn’t really an issue until 4t became the norm; i’ll take a lungful of 2t smoke over an earful of 450 4t fart-cannons any day.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘The ultimate NIMBY?’ is closed to new replies.