Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • The ultimate NIMBY?
  • matt_outandabout

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/parents-cry-foul-easter-camp-3428915

One resident complains about noise – having bought a house next to a school. And so the kids are inside.
    I think the council should investigate – apparently the complainant is related or friends with local Councillor, and so complaint came in via the councilor….

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

People in my village campaigned to have the yorkshire air ambulance moved from our local airfield due to noise disruption.

Baffles me when i see things like this and the school above.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXpLDoDCXbQ[/video]
    Song abour similar people

thestabiliser
    Free Member

THere are occasions when eff off you effing mingebag should be the correct legal/technical response from official bodies

hora
    Free Member

Easter Soccer….what day was the complaint about. Sunday?

Harry_the_Spider

Residents near us once complained about the match day crowd at the local rugby club. Didn’t they notice the enormous rugby club when they bought their houses or did they think it was a just a nice big lawn with a couple of stands?

Pillocks.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You cannot live next to a school and object to noise

The best I heard was woman complaining about an unsightly wind turbine that had been sited atop of Europes biggest rubber factory – it spoiled the view apparently.

When I lived on my boat someone bought a canal side property and then came to complain about my boat being parked on the canal and my car being on the road – they had not though that purchase through. interestingly they also said it ruined the view – my car was parked in front of a protaloo!!! Mt belly laughing at them did not help diffuse the situation

hora
    Free Member

Residents near us once complained about the match day crowd at the local rugby club. Didn’t they notice the enormous rugby club when they bought their houses or did they think it was a just a nice big lawn with a couple of stands?

Last time I was there I spotted cones outside a couple of houses. Maybe they were waiting for delivery of skips too?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Some years ago a local farmer received a noise complaint from a newly moved to the area city type who found the moo-ing of his cows troublesome.

I seem to remember it made it as far as court before being thrown out.

dannyh
    Free Member

Some years ago a local farmer received a noise complaint from a newly moved to the area city type who found the moo-ing of his cows troublesome.

Oh pull the udder one……….

Jamie
    Free Member

Some people will cause a beef over anything.

tomhoward

Our local pub (that’s been there for well over 100 years) keeps having to deal with noise complaints from folk who have recently moved in. To the point that after 930 patrons who are drinking outside on a summers eve will be thrown in to the pub. Because the doctor over the road has an early start.

kelvin

Reminds me of the guy who’s bought a flat near Manchester’s Night and Day live music venue…. and complains about there being live music at night.

failedengineer

Croft Race Circuit has had to dramatically reduce it’s number of race days and track days because of newcomers to the area complaining about noise. They move next to a race circuit – what do they expect?!

dannyh
    Free Member

Some people will cause a beef over anything.

Yes, but there is a lot at steak.

matt_outandabout

Some bits of the story are really intriguing:
    a) that a Councillor was supposedly involved in the complaint – and has not been named and shamed (yet)
    and
    b) the staff running the event for the kids did not feel in a place or supported enough where they could tell mrs_miggins_NIMBY to do one.

julianwilson
    Free Member

A few years back now they tried to get permission for a skatepark & trails/jumps near us. Despite the site being directly under a 70mph flyover, adjacent to a large sewage works and a main line railway and no less than 150m and four lanes of 40mph traffic away from the nearest dwelling, somehow the plans were objected to by ‘local’ residents on grounds of noise. 😆

That was way back though, similar (no, bigger and better) plans for same location are progressing nicely now. 😀

Oh and the residents of a new and ‘a bit’ nice (ie houses sell for 30% more than equivalent size houses nearby but not exactly posh) estate, built a full thirty years after the primary school it is situated next to are always complaining about the noise and parking of the school that was clearly there before anyone put a spade in the ground let alone when they moved in. In fact two or three of them went there as children.

dmorts

Noise is the industry I currently work in. All new developments (or change of use) should have a noise impact assessment done by someone like me. However in my experience these are rarely acted upon or even read. They’re merely a box ticking exercise. Anyone can do one so the depth and quality can vary. There also isn’t a robust method of assessment, although work is being done on this but will probably end up being watered down to the point of being useless

*cue a career guidance thread to be started by me shortly!

jam-bo

is that marsh mills?

hora
    Free Member

Whispers of drug dealing and muggings from old retired angry-types probably stopped it.

Some friends who live nearish us were told by the Council of plans to bring in free (FREE) residents only parking which would stop Man U fans block-parking in their area/etc on match days.

A couple of angry old bloke-types thought there was a hidden agenda and the scheme for their area was cancelled. Thus keeping match days-chocker.

Ours went ahead and its brilliant.

tomhoward

Hora, who was there first? Man Utd or you/your neighbours?

julianwilson
    Free Member

jam bo -yes.
    Although now i think about it, it has gone a bit quiet since they finished consulting on it in Plympton (library) a couple of summers ago. Lots of the other smaller improvements have happened or are happening like the legs of the main line railway bridge over the Plym being done up, those funny heritage trail signs and the flood defences towards the campsite, much of the site is now cleared (other side of the railway from old step-ups and current dirt ‘jumps’) but on reflection that might have been for works access when they were fixing the railway bridge: no trail digging there yet.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I worked in a factory many moons ago which was situated on the edge of an industrial estate. Houses were built the other side of estate fencing a whole 5 years after the factory was built. The residents then complained about the noise we were making. 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Hora, who was there first? Man Utd or you/your neighbours?

Man United is 1.2miles from my house. Tight wads would park anywhere that was free. Blocking residents access, drives even etc etc.

So should a sports venue have >2mile radius ownership/ability to spoil the area for everyone upto twice a week dropping takeway boxes, cans in distance streets and pissing against walls?

Thought not. Trafford Council drove the initiative. That says something.

hooli

Or the lady who used to complain about the light pollution the distribution centre I worked at caused. Her bedroom faced the rear doors of the warehouse that had to be lit up. Not only was the industrial estate there a long time before the houses but behind the warehouse was a motorway with more, much brighter lights.

When the warehouse manager got sick of the complaints he asked if he could pay for a blackout blind for her. Turns out she likes to sleep with the curtains open as she prefers it.

hora
    Free Member

Turns out she likes to sleep with the curtains open as she prefers it.

Thats me, I love being woken up by natural light/blue skies

dmorts

I worked in a factory many moons ago which was situated on the edge of an industrial estate. Houses were built the other side of estate fencing a whole 5 years after the factory was built. The residents then complained about the noise we were making

This is a prime example. It’s not the fault of the residents, it’s that of the local authority allowing either the housing to be built there in the first place or not ensuring a noise barrier or similar is put in place. A noise impact assessment was probably done (although may not have been) but then ignored.

CountZero

failedengineer – Member
    Croft Race Circuit has had to dramatically reduce it’s number of race days and track days because of newcomers to the area complaining about noise. They move next to a race circuit – what do they expect?!

Same at Castle Combe. Circuit’s been there for 100 years, poncy incomers from the city know there’s a race circuit there, you can’t miss it, but they complain about it and try to get it shut down anyway.
    Didn’t work, after a number of inquiries, the circuit put high embankments all the way around, which cut the noise, and improved the view for spectators. Far too many local businesses stood to lose a huge amount of money if the circuit was forced to close or cut back; a big weekend meet can have 5000 spectators on average, possibly a lot more, plus competitors, who need accommodation and food.

boxfish
    Free Member

People a few doors up the road objected to our plans to build a single-storey extension at the back of our place because “it would spoil our view”. Your view of what? Our house? Needless to say, their objections were ignored. 😀

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Friend dealt with a couple who complained to the planning department about a ferry terminal next to their block of flats – apparently they ‘had not been aware’ when purchasing the property that it adjoined the terminal and wanted action taken to reduce vessel noise and disturbance.

Terminal had been running for 160 years

dogbert
    Free Member

I live in a street just down from a school. I have no issue with the school.

The oblivious parents pissing about on their iphones while driving their 4×4’s with complete disregard for anyone caught under their wheels is a different matter

br
    Free Member

Croft Circuit came to mind too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Man United is 1.2miles from my house. Tight wads would park anywhere that was free. Blocking residents access, drives even etc etc.

Did you not ask neighbours of forse this?

So should a sports venue have >2mile radius ownership/ability to spoil the area for everyone upto twice a week dropping takeway boxes, cans in distance streets and pissing against walls?

No they are public places they club do no town and , just like Mc Donalds customers dropping litter it is not actually their fault

Dont get me wrong I would not like it but this is sort of the point. Its not a new thing you are objecting to its just new that you have been there.

jonnouk
    Free Member

It’s not as simple as that.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/4076123.Croft_Circuit_loses_noise_appeal/

The objection by the Watsons and Mrs Wilson was not to car and motorbike racing events, which take place on the track on about 45-50 days-a-year, but to “vehicle testing days” and “track days”, when members of the public drive cars around the track all day long at high speed.

Same issue over at Mallory park

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=42&t=1356798&nmt=RE%3A+New+operator+for+Mallory+Park

Read the comments from the dyed-in the wool petrol-heads. A lot are with the “Nimbys”.

NZCol

A friend at the council is dealing with someone who has been complaining about the larger numbers of native birds waking her up in the morning. Being that she lives next to a wildlife sanctuary that has been there for 14 years dedicated to breeding native birds must have escaped her attention. He says she is absolutely oblivious to the fact that when she bought her property she might have wanted to think about that.

onehundredthidiot

Let’s not forget the sanctimonious Sting. Who complained about the noise of planes flying out of boscombe. The RAF had been there long before him.

jonnouk
    Free Member

Let’s not forget the sanctimonious Sting. Who complained about the noise of planes flying out of boscombe. The RAF had been there long before him.

Really?! Sod all used to fly out when I lived/worked their.

hatter

Guess the flights don’t have to be that frequent for Sting to get annoyed.

Nothing worse than being 7 hours into a serious bit of tantric trouser maneuvers only to have a tornado come over just as you’re approaching Billy mill roundabout.

Harry_the_Spider

I bet that they did a few low ones over his house once they knew that he didn’t like it.

surfer
    Free Member

The local primary is only a few hundred metres from our house. Our two children used to go there and some of their classes were in Portakabins. Cold and leaky in the winter and they had been in situ for over a decade.

They replaced them with a permanent brick structure however a neighbour asked me to sign a petition because you could see the single story structure from his house about 60m away over his back fence.

I must have upset as he has never spoken to me since. The t***

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘The ultimate NIMBY?’ is closed to new replies.