Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 392 total)
  • The UFC/BELLATOR/MMA Thread.
  • wiggles
    Free Member

True, I meant more someone who can exploit his weaknesses rather than he doesn’t have any, just seems to smother everyone and not give them a chance, but there’s still some guys that have a decent chance!

jimjam
    Free Member

wiggles – Member

just seems to smother everyone and not give them a chance, but there’s still some guys that have a decent chance!

Yeah he’s relentless, and brilliant but his opponents can* choose to pull guard work a sweep from deep half, roll for a knee or turtle/give their backs in order to advance or work from those positions as opposed to constantly fighting the take down against the fence or getting mauled in half guard. Khabib’s opponents seem so fixated on getting away from himm that they invariably become exhausted in the clinch.

Dos Anjos was actually able to somewhat stifle Khabib by pulling guard, he also had a couple of decent guillotine attempts as well as a kimura attempt, he went for deep half sweeps and imanari rolls to escape and made them work.

There are people with dangerous guards**. Additionally someone with good elbows** might be able to do what Travis Browne did to Josh Barnett and Garbriel Gonzaga as they worked for take downs.

*Obvious caveat regarding it being easier said than done.

**Ferguson.

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

Not impossible for sure the elbow thing, but Travis Brown has got so much leverage and height which is why they work so well (Jones has great success with elbows for the same reason).

Khabib’s got to fight Tony now for sure. Great match up, and even more so now if his nutrition/weight cutting is under control as we’re being lead to believe.

Another tough night for Holly. I like her but can’t help but think retirement is probably not too far off.

Jackson/Wink now have something like 19 losses in a row in UFC competition. Don’t think anyone saw that one coming!

arrpee
    Free Member

Just watched Nurmagomedov vs. Barboza for the 2nd time.

Wouldn’t have been surprised to see Barboza’s corner stop the fight between rounds. He got the moral compensation of making it to the end and landing the head-kick in the last round, but at what a cost.

Agree that Tony has the best chance against him, but I couldn’t feel optimistic after watching that. Also remember that Lee had some success holding him down before he ended up knackered.

jimjam
    Free Member

arrpee – Member

Agree that Tony has the best chance against him, but I couldn’t feel optimistic after watching that. Also remember that Lee had some success holding him down before he ended up knackered.

Lee is a half decent striker but Tony was beating him up on the feet. Lee is a traditional collegiate wrestler in that he times his takedowns off his opponents, Khabib on the other hand just uses his strikes to close the distance to initiate any kind of clinch, then chain wrestle to win the takedown.

Ferguson was elbowing Lee even when he was airborne, and he was aggressive with elbows off his back, ultimately allowing him the triangle. Michael Johnson also had good success early in his fight with Khabib by feinting the knee every time Khabib looked to shoot, keeping him on his feet allowed him to connect with Khabib and hurt him.

Khabib’s game isn’t massively complex – clinch at all costs. Work for the takedown. Control posture, by removing posting arms, ground and pound. He’s just relentless at it. Daniel Cormier and Ben Askren have similar styles. Over commitment to the clinch could see him vulnerable to guillotines too. I could even see Tony going for a jumping guillotine like Brian Oretega finished Swanson with – even if he fails he still ends up in guard.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pYMhEuF4FY[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xxfT301Ii8[/video]

Jeff Novitsky on with Rogan. Should be interesting.

BoardinBob

He’s been in before and it was great

jimjam
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkBXzkD6tis[/video]

This is perhaps the best podcast of all time. That is all 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Danaher. 24/7 rashguard.

ctk
    Free Member

Reminds me of Swiss Tony.

Joe was patient with all the questions!

pondo

And he needed to be! 🙂

ctk
    Free Member

I’ve got a few quid on the underdog double of Stipe and Volkan.

For me Stipe vs Ngannou is 50/50. Stipe knocks out more people than Ngannou

I know Volkan is a big underdog (and I’m probably throwing my money away) but I have a feeling that he might just sneak a hard punch out of the clinch and stun DC

Rumble stunned DC but didnt capitalise. Jones stunned him and did. (Yes both with headkicks but Volkan hits hard!)

jimjam
    Free Member

ctk – Member

Reminds me of Swiss Tony.

But instead of cars he deals in second hand death 🙂

Did anyone watch that podcast and not want to train jiu-jitsu?

ctk – Member

I’ve got a few quid on the underdog double of Stipe and Volkan.

Who the hell knows. There’s good odds on later round finishes – seems the odds makers are very skeptical that Ngannou can win past the 3rd. 7/2 on Oezdemir by tko seems like decent odds too. I can’s see him submitting DC or taking him to a decision.

31/10 for DC by decision seems like an ok bet. The rest of the cards looks like the UFC are really trying to stack the deck for home wins, which rarely works though.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Jimjam: thanks for posting that Daher pod cast.

I immediately checked for the nearest BJJ dojos/clubs whatever they’re called!

jimjam
    Free Member

swedishmatt – Member

Jimjam: thanks for posting that Daher pod cast.

I immediately checked for the nearest BJJ dojos/clubs whatever they’re called!

Ha! Awesome. Generally clubs is the preferred term and just instructor or coach. BJJ doesn’t really stand on formalities that much. Danaher is unusual even in his use of traditional Japanese terminology.

BoardinBob

The ngannou hype train hits a stumbling block! Stipe was pretty much written off before last night. Chuffed to see him prove them wrong

Jamie
    Free Member

Good to see Stipe snatch the belt off Dana and get his corner man to put it on him.

arrpee
    Free Member

Good to see Stipe snatch the belt off Dana and get his corner man to put it on him.

Absolutely. Stipe was still clearly pissed off at the press conference, and with good reason.

ctk
    Free Member

Glad for Stipe, I was rooting for him but also expected him to win. I wonder what next for Stipe and Ngannou? Werdum vs one or the other I reckon. Dana wants DC vs Stipe!

Jamie
    Free Member

Dana can piss off.

DC won’t go up to heavyweight as Cain is coming back.

Stipe vs Ngannou 2 maybe?

Or maybe every champion should just take over a year off and get boxed up by Floyd. Seems WME are cool with that.

jimjam
    Free Member

Well that was beautiful. As per my earlier post, Boston fighters 3 for 3. Annoyingly I missed out on £900 thanks to Rob Font and Stipe. Hey ho.

Jamie
    Free Member

Also, a shout out for DC’s, the other one, superb mean girl commentary style.

jimjam
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

Also, a shout out for DC’s, the other one, superb mean girl commentary style.

Volkan’s face at the press conference…can’t help but love DC.

arrpee
    Free Member

DC fighting Stipe for the heavyweight title in July, apparently.

Can’t watch; don’t want to see either guy lose to the other.

Clearly the best fight for both though, I reckon.

Jamie
    Free Member

I guess Cain ain’t coming back, or ar least for a while

Unless it was a ridiculous amount of cash offered, and after all the bullshit money fights so far, this is one I can get behind. This is going to be some proper wholesome MMA coming up with then doing TUF as well.

I guess DC retires after this.

jimjam
    Free Member

if DC and Stipe can get a big pay day and DC can finally get the stigma of Jon Jones off then I guess it’s all good. DC has a very real chance of winning imo.

jimjam
    Free Member

I haven’t watched all of last nights card (putting it on now) but I did watch Mirsad Bectic vs Godofredo Pepey….great fight. Check it out. The winner is my no1 future prospect 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

All I’ll say is the way the winner of the main event finished the fight was stone cold killer.

ctk
    Free Member

Yep looked like he really meant it!

arrpee
    Free Member

Oh, for ****’s sake.

And wait, Holloway’s going to fight him now? Wasn’t he injured about a minute ago? Rough night for Max, I reckon. I’d love to have seen him move up to Lightweight and fight Khabib, but not at such short notice and coming off an injury.

jimjam
    Free Member

Urgh. FFS

arrpee
    Free Member

I like the fight, just not so soon. Poses Khabib some of the same problems as Tony – range, pace, durability. Arguably a better fundamental striker than Tony? If it were anyone but Khabib, I’d also meniton his takedown defence. Not as dangerous off his back as Tony. Still, he’ll be quids in if he wins and sets up a rematch with McGregor

jimjam
    Free Member

arrpee

I like the fight, just not so soon. Poses Khabib some of the same problems as Tony – range, pace, durability. Arguably a better fundamental striker than Tony?

I don’t think Holloway will enjoy anything like the same size advantages he did at lightweight but I also like the fight and think it’s a fascinating match (shame about the time frame). Max switches stances all the time so if he can control the distance and not get pressed against the cage he could well get Khabib with a headkick / overhand left while he stalks him. Barboza got a few off against him but didn’t land clean. Beyond that I don’t fancy his chances if Khabib gets it to the ground. Holloway is ranked as a purple belt in BJJ, Khabib had his way with Rafael Dos Anjos who’s a high level black belt.

The rest of the card is pretty awesome, but still…..Tony Khabib would have been something.

ctk
    Free Member

No doubt MCG would have stepped in if khabib got injured lol.

jimjam
    Free Member

Daaang. Have to say I would have been even more interested in this.

arrpee
    Free Member

Hey, UFC! Want some leverage?

Three fights now cancelled as a result. Just as well he can afford a decent lawyer.

BoardinBob

Cocaine’s a helluva drug

mikey3
    Free Member

WWE is helluva sport.

BoardinBob

Holloway is out now.

What a disaster of a card.

jimjam
    Free Member

Surely there must be a sum of money that’ll convince Anthony Petis to step in?

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 392 total)

The topic ‘The UFC/BELLATOR/MMA Thread.’ is closed to new replies.