Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 392 total)
  • The UFC/BELLATOR/MMA Thread.
  • jimjam
    Free Member

All the other sports have their continuous rolling threads, and with the six or so mma fans on here this should run to literally pages. Figured there was no time like the present to start a thread like this, what with all the happenings.

GSP declares he’s a free agent! Ronda Rousey is coming back to fight Amanda Nunes at UFC 207! UFC 205! (did McGregor get ko’d in sparring?) Oh and Bisping defeated Hendo at 7am.

Discourse! (or not).

jimjam
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZW0XwvyDj8[/video] 😀

arrpee
    Free Member

Ah, good shout.

The fight I’m most interested in at the moment is Dos Anjos vs. Ferguson. That said, I’ll most likely be watching it from behind a cushion.

They’re both utterly terrifying pressure fighters. Dos Anjos is arguably the more defensively savvy of the two (despite the recent loss to Alvarez; too recent perhaps?), but Ferguson has an unbelievable ability to eat up punishment and keep coming forward like the undead.

Watch how many shots Barboza lands on him here, before he eventually tires and gets submitted:

[video]https://youtu.be/9YXuYfTa340[/video]

However, I can’t post a video of Ferguson without doing the same for Dos Anjos. Here’s arguably his best performance against the then champion Anthony Pettis. Textbook example of how a pressure fighter can deal with a skilled outfighter like Pettis:

[video]https://youtu.be/tk3z92sohNY[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

arrpee

Ah, good shout.

The fight I’m most interested in at the moment is Dos Anjos vs. Ferguson. That said, I’ll most likely be watching it from behind a cushion.

I think Ferguson could well win it – which would be a spectacular fall from grace for Dos Anjos. Ferguson is rangey and durable, and if RDA wants to close distance with him he’ll wind up in the clinch and possibly going to the ground where I feel Ferguson is more dangerous. If it turns into later rounds it could become a standup match, to Ferguson’s benefit.

arrpee
    Free Member

Well, that didn’t disappoint. Amazing, close fight, but Ferguson was a cut above. I’m a big fan of Numagomedov, but I don’t see how they can deny Ferguson the title shot after that performance and the quality of his winning streak.

Of course, Nurmegomedov has to get past Johnson next week before this even becomes a debate, and Johnson seems an awkward opponent for him on paper.

McGregor vs. Alvarez seems like a bit of a side show to me at the minute, but I’ll be happy to be proved wrong.

jimjam
    Free Member

Yeah, great fight. Mildly annoyed that I didn’t put money on it as it played out almost exactly as I’d imagined it would.

McGregor vs. Alvarez seems like a bit of a side show to me at the minute, but I’ll be happy to be proved wrong.

Well, side show / main show….either way it’s the big show. Cannot wait.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve been threatening to get into watching the whole UFC thing, where do you actually watch it?

The thing that puts me off a bit is the whole out of the ring drama and oddly the way they number the competitions remained me too much of the WWF/WWE.
    Oh and the small number of fans of the sport who wear funny t-shirts with the sleeves missing and seem to want to punch everyone in the high street.

BoardinBob

UFC Fight Pass or BT Sport

jimjam
    Free Member

P-Jay
    I’ve been threatening to get into watching the whole UFC thing, where do you actually watch it?

BT Sport as Boardinbob says. UFC’s own youtube channel is generally a good source of older fights. Like any other copyright material there’s obviously a myriad of ways to stream that are not strictly legal.

The thing that puts me off a bit is the whole out of the ring drama

That’s just hyping the fight. The idea that two people who will fight don’t like each other sells better than hugs and kisses. Sometimes it’s contrived. Some times it’s real.

Oh and the small number of fans of the sport who wear funny t-shirts with the sleeves missing and seem to want to punch everyone in the high street.

The Tapout brand is licensed in the UK by Sportsdirect.com. No worse than soccer fans at any rate.

BoardinBob

1 year ban for Jon Jones 🙄

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

1 year ban for Jon Jones

I can’t say I’m disappointed with this. I can’t stand Jones’ smug personality and shitty attitude. He’s probably the best we’ve ever seen however he’s got progressively more boring in my opinion.

He’d beat Cormier again and I think 205 is more interesting without him.

greentricky
    Free Member

Oh how DC must be chuckling at that news

jimjam
    Free Member

BoardinBob

1 year ban for Jon Jones

Apparently this is just from USADA, NAC have yet to deal with him. Whatever suspension will be back dated to July. I’d be surprised if this is the end of it though.

Quite sick of Jones’ bullshit. I wish the UFC would release him with the caveat that he can only fight in Japan at heavyweight.

arrpee
    Free Member

Seems the source of the banned substances was, in Jones’ words, a ‘dick pill’. Perhaps he was hoping that it was some sort of cure.

Notter
    Free Member

Nearly time folks, biggest and baddest card ever!! I’m most intrigued by Woodley v Thompson, both amazing fighters and I just can’t call it because of their respective styles.
    The Polish battle has been building nicely through the week too 🙂

arrpee
    Free Member

Most commentators picking Wonderboy over Woodley, which makes sense. However, we’ve seen Thompson get hurt by a big punch before (e.g. Ellenberger). He did well to smother Ellenberger and recover in that fight, but Woodley seems a much nastier finisher.

Feeling nervous for Nurmagomedov against Johnson.

Of all the championship matches, Jedrzejczyk seems the easiest pick. Shame she’s been acting like a dick all week in front of the camera.

Any predictions for McGregor-Alvarez?

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Flew into New York a few hours ago… knackered but heading to the garden to watch the fight soon… mac in round 2

Notter
    Free Member

Enjoy it Chris!!
    I hear you arepee with Thompson, but if woodley lands in a swarm then he’s down, that’s what makes it prospective fight of the night for me with their styles. If wonderboy keeps his long range he’ll pick woodley off.
    Conor? I think he might just do it but it’s going to be way harder than he thinks (in public anyway!). Goes past 3 then Alvarez will have him imo.

Notter
    Free Member

Jedrzejczyk’s been trying to be the female Conor this week with her bluster! Been quite amusing

Notter
    Free Member

Wow……..

BoardinBob

Aye, impressive

moose
    Free Member

Control, discipline and patience. Alvarez didn’t really have a say in that fight.

Notter
    Free Member

Alvarez’ post fight comments are interesting in how he didn’t stick to his game plan, the pressure pre fight was getting him after all. Really good interview of John Kavanagh on YouTube (Ariel Helwani) from earlier in the week, Conor and SBG really are showing everyone else how to do it.
    Conor’s precision is unbelievable!

moose
    Free Member

Notter, I’ve seen that, I’m not sure it would have made a difference, Conor was calm and measured, his strike rate was ridiculous, Alvarez just didn’t look like he had any answer at all. Ironic since he criticised Conor’s choice of opponents, then he folded like all the rest.

Pigface
    Free Member

Classy post fight interview

seosamh77
    Free Member

looked like a mismatch tbh, alvarez bearly in the fight at all.

Notter
    Free Member

Which is mental when you see what Alvarez did to Dos Anjos, not that it’ll happen now but imagine what Conor would have done to him!! Looking forward to Woodley Wonderboy 2!

arrpee
    Free Member

Impressed by McGregor there. Definitely expected Alvarez to be more competitive. Eddie looked really rattled; mental warfare effective again? Problem for McGregor is the he’s now arguably got himself appointed captain of a wrecked ship, in that he now probably has to face Nurmagomedov or Ferguson.

And Christ, did you see Khabib last night? Monstrous. I could go a long time before seeing Johnson get punched in the head again.

jimjam
    Free Member

arrpee

Impressed by McGregor there. Definitely expected Alvarez to be more competitive. Eddie looked really rattled; mental warfare effective again? Problem for McGregor is the he’s now arguably got himself appointed captain of a wrecked ship, in that he now probably has to face Nurmagomedov or Ferguson.

And Christ, did you see Khabib last night? Monstrous. I could go a long time before seeing Johnson get punched in the head again.

McGregor beat Alvarez so handily it almost seemed anticlimactic. Absolutely amazing performance when you consider the run Eddie was on. As for Khabib, I can’t imagine there will be much desire at the UFC to substitute there most popular and lucrative asset with someone who has very limited appeal.

I think they’ll do Ferguson v Nurmagomedov to decide the no.1 contender status. Ferguson is extremely dangerous off his back, lanky and durable. No way Khabib just rains down blows from half guard.

Meanwhile Conor will be eyeing up the most potentially lucrative fights available with the likes of GSP, Mayweather, maybe Woodley or Ceronne at a pinch.

honourablegeorge

Third fight with Diaz next year, I’d guess

arrpee
    Free Member

Rousey vs Nunes tonight. So many question marks over Rousey’s state of mind and her camp’s ability to address her shortcomings. Nunes looking very relaxed; tempted to say she’ll get it by an early tko. That said, it’s easy to forget how dominant Rousey was up until the Holm fight. Lots of commentators also reminding us of Nunes’ tendency to tire early.

More interested in Cruz/Garbrant. Rooting for Cruz, but he’ll basically have spend 5 rounds defusing a bomb. Similar story for Dillashaw against Lineker, albeit for a shorter duration.

steveoath
    Free Member

Dont like rousey’s attitude “undefeated is a state of mind” etc. But dont see her losing to Nunes. I think she wins here, Holly beats Germaine de Randamie in feb, then she can avenge the loss, get two titles and retire. Reckon Garbrant will get Cruz inside 2 rounds to be honest.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have a mancrush on Dom Cruz. The bits from embedded etc with him and Dojo have been great.

Plus stuff like this…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i65KNnr81MQ[/video]

arrpee
    Free Member

I share the Cruz man-crush. I don’t usually go in for the pre-fight trash-talking, but Cruz has just been masterful. You just know that his arch, slightly camp delivery winds up his hyper-masculine opponents no-end. Cutting about with the wee poodle also looks like a similar calculated move.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well, shit.

I did not see that coming. Cruz didn’t seem to be 100% in his game plan. Trying to out strike Cody wasn’t the best idea. That’s not to take anything away from Cody, he fought a really good fight, and deserved the win.

ctk
    Free Member

Ronda must be gutted. Still a great division for the women even if she retires. Nunes is awesome.

Jamie
    Free Member

2hrs sleep in the end, but was worth it.

208 looks like garbage, tho.

greentricky
    Free Member

Did not see Cruz getting shown up like that

Did Goldie shit on dana’s desk or something? Last night and no big send off

jimjam
    Free Member

Garbrandt looked great. Hard to tell if Rousey’s standup was really as bad it looked or if she just got wobbled with the first shot and was incapable of doing anything thereafter.

Did Goldie shit on dana’s desk or something? Last night and no big send off

I think the lack of a big send off is indicative of a big corporate product that’s always acted as if it’s far more important than any of its individual parts. But saying that I’m surprised Rogan didn’t say something. The broadcast I saw was heavily edited, maybe he did. Presumably he’ll comment on it in his upcoming podcasts.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think the lack of a big send off is indicative of a big corporate product that’s always acted as if it’s far more important than any of its individual parts. But saying that I’m surprised Rogan didn’t say something. The broadcast I saw was heavily edited, maybe he did. Presumably he’ll comment on it in his upcoming podcasts.

True. Just see how they treated Jacob “Stitch” Duran. Still would it have killed them to have just done a 1 min package with a few highlights in it. Very little outlay to stop everyone thinking they’re a bunch of heartless ****s.

As for Rogan, you see Big John’s reaction to him calling Means’ knee legal?

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 392 total)

The topic ‘The UFC/BELLATOR/MMA Thread.’ is closed to new replies.