Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • The MTB Tyre Tread Quiz – how well do you know your rubber?
  • stwhannah

How many times have you ridden along a trail and looked down to see tyre tracks that you could identify? Have you impressed your riding mates with call outs of “See that tyre track down there? That’s a Magic Mary that is”. Now you can put your tracking skills to the test with our tread pattern quiz. Please log in to access this quiz! It’s free to do so – head here.

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

The Tyre Tread Quiz – how well do you know your rubber?

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

sillyoldman

9/11
    Don’t know if I should be miffed at getting two wrong, or ashamed at getting 9 right.

Yak

9/11. There were a couple of lucky guesses but most were ok.

weeksy

6/11

At least 10 out of the 11 were guesses.

schmiken

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>9/11 here!</span>

one_bad_mofo

But where’re are the Tioga Farmer John, Panacer Smoke and Onza Porcupine?

Riksbar

That’s not an Onza Porcupine…

I remember the days when not only could I recognise the tyres, I would have known who’d been out riding that day.

kayak23

5/11
    Safe to say I’m not a tyre nerd.

MrAgreeable

No Conti Vertical Pro? This place has changed…

lawman91

Full marks here, I need to get out more!

colin9

5/11. More of a nerd than I hoped.

jd13m
    Free Member

was this just an excuse to play with playdough? 😀

ta11pau1

5/11 – failed on most of the XC tyres and the non mainstream brands.

fathomer

6 and the only one I didn’t guess was the DHR2!

kelvin

I only got 3/11. Haven’t heard of, never mind seen or ridden, most of the others.

endoverend

9/11 = demi-nerd. To be fair most of these have way too much tread for my tendencies. Give us any xc race tyre made in the last 30 years and you’ll see full nerd alert.

Davesport

Mainly guesses, got 5 correct but enjoyed the quiz. More like this please.

chiefgrooveguru

9/11 – and my only two guesses were both wrong. Nerd.

funkrodent

6/11. More than expected. A couple of educated guesses and lots of (mostly wrong) common or garden guesses

nickc

6/11 about what I expected. I got the obvious ones. I’ve not even heard of some of those tyres though, let alone recognize their tread pattern

AlexSimon

9/11 and the only two I got wrong were tyres that nobody should buy, so feel fine.

tomparkin

7/11

I think the multiple-choice approach makes it easier to guess right in some cases if you’ve got any idea whether a given tyre is a beefy mudspike or a svelte XC slipper.

I got the Magic Mary right, which is main thing.

jimthesaint

10/11 – Bloody WTB Ranger ruining my 100%

lawman91

Yeah the multiple choice makes it a lot easier, it’s more a process of elimination. Some I could guess without any hints, maybe 2 I only got because I knew it wasn’t the other options given, not because I knew what the tyre was actually in the picture!

mulacs

2. Sigh.

zbonty

2/11 Nearly all guess work. I do have some Maxxis DHR in the shed so that doubled my score!

tomhoward

4. Meh.

reluctantjumper

7/11. Not bad but not great either. I am slightly out of touch with tyres though.

I remember the days when not only could I recognise the tyres, I would have known who’d been out riding that day.

I got busted for going out for a ride once when I was 13 and meant to be grounded by one of my dad’s friends. He wanted to know my route as my tyre tracks went in a different direction to the regular rides! Caught all because I used an odd combination of tyres at the time (Farmer John Nephew up front, Smoke rear)! Next ride I studied the other treads in the mud and the next tyres were what everyone else was using.

landslide

I absolutely refuse to believe in non-round-knobbled Onza Porcupines.

ads678

4/11 only one I was confident about was the DHR. Only tyre I actually have out of the list is a magic Mary and I got that wrong!

P20

6/11. Fun little quiz. Thanks

matt_outandabout

6 correct.
    *Sigh*

danieljohnreynolds

8/11 – happy at a decent level of nerdery but livid I got the Eddy Current wrong after it even being in the Hannah/Benji video. CST – who? And i missed one of the other randommer ones!

belgianwaffle1

10/11 – not bad I’d say

cynic-al
    Free Member

4/11. 20+ years ago I’d have nailed it

bigblackshed

0/10

All I know is that tyres are mainly black and round and have some knobs on them.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.