Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 531 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

I am going on my first skiing/boarding holiday for 20 years in March, Saalbach Hinterglemm. Struggled to find some suitable accommodation,

We left it late to book a lads trip to Saalbach In March and really struggled. We eventually found a place that I reckon could only have been a cancellation as it was perfect. so keep looking in case you get a similar situation.

grahamt1980

Just back from åre.
    should Ave been back yesterday but the rain on top of frozen roads and particularly runway caused the plane to need a good check over before flying again.
    interesting place åre, but the different areas felt a bit disjointed, and beginners would need to use the buses to get around a lot.
    But really enjoyed it and want to go back.

Bunnyhop

Just in case anyone doesn’t know – Ski Sunday is back this weekend.
    BBC 2 18.00

:O)

nbt

Woo, we get coverage of very nearly HALF the season!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/50871178

igm

One week done.

Another week booked.

NZCol

Just back from a week in Flaine, NY week so expected it to be busy – and it was. Stayed at Eos which was quite nice – pool etc useful and good ski in and out location. Snow was good at start of week after dump the week before but the whole weeks weather was warm and clear so snow was suffering a lot. Queues were busy over in Samoens and Les Carroz as not much snow lower down. A significant number of mentalist skiers bombing everything and some pretty average behaviour – honestly some of it was just dangerous. Pisteurs were onto it though. Nice area and would be a playground in fresh snow. Not sure we ever found the town centre though – odd place as purpose built and lacks a bit of soul for that reason.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Flaine is famous for its brutal architecture. Nice area but struggles in bad viz due to a lack of trees. Also has a few nasty holes to fall into if venturing off piste without guidance in some areas.
    When I worked in Les Caroz we had a poor snow season which was made worse by the various villages not combining their efforts and operating the lift system together. Lifties also all stoped for an hours lunch break on occasion which made getting back to work tricky on the odd times
    Just booked for NY next year! Got so fed up milling about at home this year. mottaret 3v all inc. full board on the piste. We can cancel up yo 30 days before at no cost, so nothing ventured till then.

Bunnyhop

If any of you are on ‘Snow heads’, you will see I’ve had a mini rant about lack of hygiene in ski resorts. Mostly from Chalet/hotel staff but also from guests themselves.

The lack of hand washing before eating or using facilities is notable in French properties, as they don’t always have a washbasin in with the loo,meaning people are too lazy to go back to their room.

As someone who suffers from a low immune system I don’t want to spend yet another skiing holiday ill, due to people not adhering to basic hygiene rules.

In the many years I’ve been skiing I’ve witnessed, kitchen staff coming in not bothering to wash there hands before preparing/cooking food.
    Children licking fingers and sticking them into cakes around the buffet table. Also Guests themselves coming in from a full day on the slopes, getting to the afternoon tea table and diving into the bread, jam and cakes without washing their hands.
    Maybe this year I will be brave enough to politely as them.

BoardinBob

The lack of hand washing before eating or using facilities is notable in French properties

Guy at the table next to me in Cervinia went for a big shit then went back to dinner without washing his hands (I was outside the toilet waiting to get in. No basin in the cubicle)🤮

jimdubleyou

went for a big shit then went back to dinner without washing his hands

Maybe he had some alcohol gel in his pocket.

(or maybe he’s a dirty sod. )

bombjack
    Free Member

Anyone else take both skis and board when they go away? I’m considering taking my fatish skis and a board when I visit Les Arcs in Feb. Haven’t been on a board in about 9 years as I fell out of love with it before my kids were born (held my instructor certificates prior, so was pretty handy) and have been really enjoying my skiing. But i’m starting to get the nagging idea that if my knees can take it, then boarding again would be a good idea. That and deep down inside I feel like I’ve turned to the dark side…
    Anyone want to convince me that it wont be a terrible idea? Getting the kit out there isnt an issue, I just dont want to take it out and not use it.

igm

Wife and elder son both did a couple of days on their boards the rest on skis at Christmas.

I was on the board younger son on skis.

Different days would have been better on the skis or board according to conditions.

ads678

If any of you are on ‘Snow heads’, you will see I’ve had a mini rant about lack of hygiene in ski resorts. Mostly from Chalet/hotel staff but also from guests themselves.

The lack of hand washing before eating or using facilities is notable in French properties, as they don’t always have a washbasin in with the loo,meaning people are too lazy to go back to their room.

Self catering??

grahamt1980

I haven’t got ski’s, but will likely be taking my ski boots and hire ski’s for a day or so when not boarding on our next trip in a few weeks.
    Good being able to do both.
    I do still prefer boarding though

stcolin
    Free Member

Heading to Mayrhofen at the end of Feb. Bit nervous as I’ve only been to Tignes before which is pretty snow sure. We have passes for the whole Zillertal area, so hopefully plenty to explore. First skiing holiday for me that isn’t UCPA.

Need to get to the chill factor for a practice.

Bunnyhop

ads678 – on the one year we went self catering, it was myself and 3 guys.

The loo was separate from any hand washing facilities, meaning once or twice I had to remind the boys to go and visit the sink in the bathroom in another part of the apartment. They took it well, but I still got ill on that holiday too. Rolls eyes.

Bunnyhop

It hasn’t snowed here in the Tarentaise since Christmas. Finally snowfall is forecast for Friday.

toby1

Finally snowfall is forecast for Friday.

Flying in to Chambrey on the 25th and heading to Meribel, hoping this isn’t the only snowfall between now and then!

Edukator
    Free Member

Maybe this year I will be brave enough to politely ask them.

Sounds like you’d enjoy self-catering, we’ve never used catered accomodation. I saw a programme about where the bugs were in a typical restaurant (and other places). The toilet seat was one of the lowest counts, some of the bad ones I can remember were the door handles, the cash, the credit card machine… . You’re more likely to contaminate yourself getting cash out of the bank than using the toilet in a restaurant. Don’t worry about what others are doing, just make sure your own hygiene is impecable.

timbog160

Week in Flaine – gotta be half term I’m afraid due to a 15 and 12 year old but hey ho. OH has just mentioned about resort staff striking – anybody know anything about this?

Stoner
    Free Member

Bit late for a report, but we had excellent conditions for 4 out of 5 days over Christmas in the PDS. Plenty of good condition hardpacked base, a bit of fresh on top, but most importantly blue sky and sunshine and perfect temperatures.

View post on imgur.com

Half way through the break I realised my 19 Yr Old Northwave snowboard boots had had their soles ripped off sometime last year after the glue had failed. Knackered, but still comfy as slippers. But time for a change.

View post on imgur.com

A quick browse on ebay while I was out and by pure dumb luck these Salomon Launch Boa SA in my size were just about to close, New, in box and delivered for £65. Bargin. Fit a treat, and light as a feather compared to old boots.

View post on imgur.com

New board and absolute hoot. Ridiculously fast, carves nicely, but doesnt catch when flatboarding. Really sympathetic. Again, excellent VFM (€385) for the spec. http://pathron.com/products/snowboards/carbon-gold/

View post on imgur.com

Just booked flights to go back out with Mrs S for a long weekend in Feb. Just needs a fresh dump before then, I gather there’s been little new since Xmas.

smokey_jo

Hoping there’s a bit more after this weekend in the 3 valleys too,in 1650 for a week from the 27th.🙏

chrisdb
    Free Member

Just booked flights to Geneva for a long weekend mid March, now trying to decide where to actually go. Chamonix is the current favourite.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Whistler for a long weekend with sweajnr coming up. Our first time outside the local resorts.

sprootlet
    Free Member

This one is for Timbog – the snow is holding up very well in Flaine and there is 27cm forecast tomorrow afternoon/night. We’ve had 10 days of cold temperatures and blue skies, lower runs in the villages of Carroz and Morillion have some stones but they’ve worked hard at keeping them in good condition.
    If you are staying in Flaine during 1/2 term and have the GM pass then I would ski in Flaine first thing before heading out for a tour of the villages. The lift queues to get to Flaine start to build from 10 ish and the Grand Van lift back is massive from 3.15 ish.

We’ve not heard anything locally about the lifties striking but will ask and let you know

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

enjoy @sweaman2

i buggered my ankle getting off the lift helping my son, who is a little nervous on a certain lift with a high ‘drop’ from the seat. Still, he enjoyed the scooter ride down, best part of the day he said.

2-3 weeks of non white wave surfing for me 🙁

Rockape63
    Free Member

Ooh nasty HYD!

Off to Courchevel on Saturday…..can’t wait! I see the temps are dropping considerably and some snow forecast, so looking good!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i’ve actually timed it quite well, not much snow here at the moment so hopefully I will be fit and firing for when they days get a bit longer and we get some more of the white stuff

Ringo
    Free Member

Can anyone please recommend me a place to go next year early January. On a tight budget. Does bansko have snow in late Dec early Jan?

chrisdb
    Free Member

Tignes is good early Jan. snow sure and you’ll get some bargain deals for chalet or apartments if you go first week after new year.

Beagleboy

Ringo, I snowboarded in Bansko for around 10 years and it was always a bit dicey whether they had snow or not Dec/Jan. They’ve got a lot more snow making kit nowadays though. We went either just before or just after the mid-term holidays in February and the conditions were always fabulous.

As a budget destination, I don’t think it can be beat. I’d be back there in a second if I was allowed, but the whole week of intensive care in a very dodgy Bulgarian hospital followed by repatriation in an air ambulance (funky wee 6 seater jet, very cool when minced on morphine), means that my wife, who doesn’t accompany me on winter holidays, has pretty much banned the ‘B’ word from our household.

I’m off to La Plange in a fortnight with my mate to ski. The ‘snowboard’ word has also been banned from our house.

Prices as I remember from four years ago….

We used to drive down to Manchester and fly return to Sofia for around £250 on Easyjet

The ski pass was around £170 for 6 days

We used to hire a 2 bedroom apartment via Alexander’s Letting Agency, I think it was in an apartment block called Damianitza, which was only a 10 minute walk from the gondola and was £250 in total for the week (i.e £60pp for the whole week).

Food and drink worked out about £15-20 for a three course meal and all the drinks you could manage.

The mountain is a bit wee, but has plenty of off-piste through the trees and the powder days can be magical on a snowboard. I’d honestly go back in a shot, I really liked the place. You just have to remember it is a budget destination and is therefore a bit ‘rustic’ at times.

C.

john_l
    Free Member

Had a fantastic week in Bansko a couple of years ago, snow was then best I’ve seen anywhere, it just didn’t stop!

Great atmosphere in the Happy Ending bar every afternoon and a couple of very good nights in a bar with a resident band and fireworks!

Also got to witness the local facilities first hand after one of the guys we were with cut his foot open – I would definitely not want to be treated in local a&e!

Beagleboy

Yep, Bansko’s a brilliant budget destination. I’d thoroughly recommend the Loghouse restaurant for it’s fabulous food and mind boggling value. Just try not to have an accident there, that’s when you get to see the not so great side of it.

I was initially brought off the mountain to the first aid centre at the Gondola station then immediately sent to the local A&E. I actually saw the nurse drop a cannula on the floor, wipe it on her apron before shoving it in my arm! I was then transferred to the regional hospital, where I was looked at, then sent on to the main spinal injury unit in the capital, in an ambulance with a broken gurney, where the driver folded down a chair on the other side of it and got me to brace my arm against it so I wouldn’t slide off. The litany of horrors and humiliations that followed, would need to be described over a pint or three. All in, I got a fairly extensive experience of their healthcare system. The doctors and nurses were awesome and did all they could for me, but the facilities and conditions they were working in was truly frightful. That’s why nowadays, whenever I hear someone droning on about their bad treatment from the NHS, I get a little…exasperated.

Brilliant place, but just be aware that budget prices mean budget facilities in quite a poor country.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I went to Bansko 10-12 years ago and I wouldn’t go back. . Things may have changed. Maybe i should go back?  So confused

Bunnyhop

It’s snowing at last.

Hoping to get 10 cm tomorrow.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Bulgarian skiing?
    Good opportunity to post this (Not Bankso)
    Edit. NSFW Sweary content.

ElShalimo

Slight diversion: has anyone seen any good deals on lobster/3 finger mitts recently?

I’m looking for some, men’s size 10/XL. Budget is approx. £50

colp

Can anyone please recommend me a place to go next year early January. On a tight budget. Does bansko have snow in late Dec early Jan?

Flights to Salzburg the first week of January after New Year are usually buttons.
    Lots of apartment availability.
    Get yourself to a Hofer (Aldi), do a week’s shop, eat in most nights.

jaminb
    Free Member

Hi all a snowboarder new to this thread. Can anyone recommend a snowboard shop in SE or london that can give me some desperately needed advice on new boots. My ankles and calves hurt so much last time I went I missed out boarding on the last day and didn’t want to go last season.

We are going for a week at the end of Feb and this feels like last chance saloon for my snowboarding holidays if I don’t sort out some comfy boots. Out gioing are some lightly used 7 year old Vans.

Also anyone know of any decent websites or operators who can sort out accommodation for four – we have flights to Geneva booked but not to worried about resort or accommodation type.

thanks

TheDTs
    Free Member

@Jaminb,
    Ellis Brigham, Covent Garden (There are other EB in London area) good fitters in ski boots, suspect they get the same level of training in Board Boots.

Have always thought that the Pierre et Vacances site is as good as any. Never found the info on location very useful on Air bnb. (With kids that matters!)

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season’ is closed to new replies.