Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 531 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season
  • jimdubleyou

Les Arc is looking good for xmas. So excited I could poo.

igm

Was looking at the Les Gets webcams last night and they had lights along the side of quite a few of the pistes – Tulipe for example.
    Never seen that before.
    Anyone know if it is for work getting the pistes ready or they are going to have evening skiing?
    Neither seems that likely.

toby1

So excited I could poo.

I’d suggest doing this before you ride, always harder with the pipes fully loaded!

Which one of the Arc’s are you in again Jim? I can recommend the cafe at the bottom of Arcabulle (the bubble as we call it) although I’ve avoided the lavish seafood platters in the past!

jimdubleyou

I’d suggest doing this before you ride,

Definitely, going with bib pants this year 🙂

We’re in 2000, was looking today, our accommodation is near the bottom of that little button lift.

Will give it a go, I suspect we’ll be in that area on the first day whilst we find our feet 🙂

bombjack
    Free Member

Another one for Les Arcs here, although I’m not out until end of Feb.
    Proper excited. Looks like snowmageddon this weekend!

tinybits
    Free Member

@bluebird Belle Plange in La Plange. Forecast has in fairness calmed down a little but still over 3ft by the weekend (on top of the 2-4ft already there)

Also pooing with excitement!

toby1

We’re in 2000

There’s a lovely boulangerie in 1950 if you are are the hunt for fresh baked goods. And there is a little lift between the 2 villages that runs till late should you end up in the ‘Irish’ pub in 1950 as well. As for the button, you will likely be able to get straight onto the piste from most of 2000 as it’s all purpose built.

Enjoy, Les Arcs is a lovely ski area.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Some nice skills on show👌 up there with the Korua vids.

dozofoz
    Free Member

Great vid. Just bought myself a Nidecker Mellow and will be riding it in Samoens in a few weeks. May not be quite shredding like those chaps though

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve a Nidecker Axis, first snowboard in 20 odd years. Amazed how good it is. Would also love to carve like that too.

bluebird
    Free Member

Trip booked: Obergurgl, 4th Jan. Anyone been? Any tips on where to head for the best riding?

smokey_jo

Been to obergurgl a few times. There’s a couple of fun parks over in Hochgurgl, one high up in Obergurgl at the top of the Festkogelbahn, and another lower down accessed from the Steinmanbahn lift.

I’m mainly a piste skier so can’t help much on what’s good for boarding.

Konigstall is popular when there’s lots of snow for off piste and it’s only a 10 minute walk from a lift, access from the Plattachbahn chair I think. Some bits in the Gaisbergtal too. You’ll probably need a guide for all of them.

New KirchenKhanbahn upper lift apparently gives lots of off piste access too. Lots of stuff off the schirmerbahn lift off to the sides.

Run to the bottom of Hochgurglbahn is a nice long red but if it’s warm it will be slushy at the bottom. Bumpy around the Nederhutte and top of Steinmanbahn from 2pm onwards.

Bus to Solden is free and only takes 20 minutes – not been yet myself – will probably this year though.

Other than the Nederhutte, there’s not much Apres, umbrella bar at the bottom of the Rosskarbahn outside the edelweiss is popular for a post ski beer but it can be a bit smokey.

Where are you staying?

BoardinBob

Hitting Glencoe tomorrow for some early season fun. They’ve had a fair dump over the last few days. Lower mountain fully open and I reckon they’ll get some mid mountain opened tomorrow

bluebird
    Free Member

@smokey_jo

That’s brilliant, thanks. We’re staying at Hotel Alpenaussicht.

smokey_jo

@bluebird so at the bottom of the Festkogelbahn then. If you do go for apres at the Nederhutte the run home can mean a bit of walking as there is a flat bit as you go past the Gottard Hotel on Blue 6.

You really need to keep speed up to get through to the Festkogel piste – alternatively ride back in the skidoo. They re-piste the run back from the Nederhutte as soon as the lifts close so there’s less accidents after a few Schnapps!

There’s a testing black(13) and unpisted red(14) from the top of the Festkogelbanh bubble – if you get fresh snow – head there if your looking for powder.

The unpisted red routes off the Hohe Mut are good if there’s fresh snow around too – Route 9 isn’t that great really but it can be a quieter route home – there’s a couple of narrow sections on it but it’s not too steep.

When they have the night-skiing they use the Festkogel bubble so you’re handy for that and for getting across to Hochgurgl.

Run red 12 gets a bit bumpy in the afternoon so if you’ve got heavy legs and you’re in Hochgurgl you can catch the free bus home.

The vorderer wormkurgl drag lifts are evilly steep and very exposed – difficult enough on skis, on a board – good luck!

If it’s windy most people head to the Steinmanbahn sector – there’s a few trees here with lots of routes through between pistes. The restaurant at the bottom is good for lunch too.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone else been watching “Ski A&E” on W channel? Quite an eye-opener as to the number of injuries on the slopes. Bit of light entertainment at 8pm of an evening 🙂

bluebird
    Free Member

The vorderer wormkurgl drag lifts are evilly steep and very exposed – difficult enough on skis, on a board – good luck!

I read this to my better half last night, and the response was, “Well, I think we need to see how hard it is.” 🙂

Thanks for all the pointers.

graemethejock

Anyone been to Zell am see?
    Going for a week in feb boarding
    Also anyone used drsno for a days guided off piste?

bluebird
    Free Member

New board ordered. Just over two weeks to go. Snow still falling/forecast. Getting excited!

cat69uk
    Free Member

Was in Zell boarding in January, had a great 4 days, lovely resort. Verbier mid Jan this year, excited!
    Any recommendations for mittens? Sick of cold hands!

jimdubleyou

Any recommendations for mittens? Sick of cold hands!

Hestra heli ski – or anything with the single finger and the mitten pocket. They can actually be too warm for me sometimes.

Removable, washable liners too.

Edit: these – https://hestragloves.com/sport/en-gb/gloves/alpine-pro/30572-army-leather-heli-ski/560/

TheDTs
    Free Member

+1 Hestra, Army 3 finger here. Better dexterity than mits, very warm.

bluebird
    Free Member

I rate Dakine Titan mitts. I snowboard so I’m not keen on leather palms as they can get wet, not really a problem if you ski.

nbt

I have Dakine Titan gloves, they’ve been great, I can see that the mitts would be warmer. Hestra heli is the normal go-to though

TheDTs
    Free Member

High 3 Jimdoubleyou!

Stoner
    Free Member

@cat69uk try these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Goretex-Waterproof-Extreme-Weather/dp/B07JJNVBTP/
    great value for money,very warm and stay dry. Three pairs in family Stoner now. Original tip off was an STWer a few years ago IIRC.

colp

Anyone been to Zell am see?
    Going for a week in feb boarding

It’s linked to Saalbach now via Viehofen so part of a mahoosive area.

Great little burger place by the lake.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

That would be me @stoner. They are fantastic , I get messages every now and again from satisfied nazi glove wearing STWers!

eskay

Arrived in Levi (Finland) this morning and got on the (nursery) slopes for a couple of runs. I was surprised how quickly it took me to get back into it after a 7 break.
    Got back onto the proper slopes soon after and looking forward to a good day tomorrow and ice karting in the afternoon!

BoardinBob

My mates in Cervinia for Xmas and I’m joining him on Friday.

Phoned me earlier to say his board was stolen today outside one of the mountain restaurants. Stopped for a coffee, put his board alongside multiple other skis and boards. Came back out 10 minutes later and it was gone.

Absolute scum. It’s not a common board so chances of it being mistaken identity are slim

He has insurance through RBS but I’m imagining the theft cover will be void as it wasnt locked up and was out of his sight?lets be honest, no one locks their skis or boards up when they stop for a drink etc.

jimdubleyou

I always lock my board up if it’s on a rack.

You don’t see many T.Rice Pros (at least in Europe). Mine’s a great board, I’d be absolutely gutted to lose it and locking it takes two seconds to do.

Just spent last two days in crappy weather up at Arc 2000 – wet snow, windy, not many lifts.

All of that has been made up for an awesome day today, fresh snow, blue skies proper bluebird day.

Found my limit trying to ride switch in foot deep powder, which is a good day in my book 👍💪🏂🤟

grahamt1980

Yup, we lock our boards, normally end up locking them together and round something to make it bloody awkward to make off with

MSP

I am going on my first skiing/boarding holiday for 20 years in March, Saalbach Hinterglemm. Struggled to find some suitable accommodation, the usual hotel booking sites don’t seem to have much coverage in the ski resorts. Anyone got recommendations for better sites or tips to find places in ski resorts?

oldtennisshoes

Booking.com and Airbnb are my 2 staples. Pretty mainstream, so I guess you’ve tried them? You could also try homeaway

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Original tip off

🤣

csb

@Howsyourdad1 what is the sizing like on these wundermitts?

oliverracing

Anyone done a weekend trip using the Caledonian sleeper to Fort William to get there for ~10am to ski for the day? Not got any holiday left for this season and spotted I can the do the reverse 7pm Sunday evening to get back to work on Monday. This should give 2 days (or 1 2/3 to be precise) of skiing for £145 although will have to sleep in the chair which I imagine won’t be overly comfy!

I’ve probably missed something obvious but it looks doable as long as I can get to crewe for 11pm (easy) and on the return I may a little late for work but nothing crazy.

The other option to get a weekend fix is to wait for good snow and skin up on the lakes or maybe do a day on the Raise tow assuming it’s not a members only weekend.

oldtennisshoes

The fort William sleeper gives you easy access to Nevis Range and less easy access to Glencoe. It’s definitely worth considering. Just remember that it doesn’t run Saturday night in either direction. I also think that the sleeper should actually be called the dozer. I’ve never had a good nights sleep on it. The recently refurbed carriages may be better. If you can, get a berth in the centre of the carriage, being over a bogey is not good.

You can always get to CairnGorm on the Inverness sleeper, but even if there is snow, uplift is going to be problematic with the train currently borked.

oliverracing

Yeah I’d ruled out Cairngorm from the lack of train up and Glencoe from the long walk from the station, also lack of cheap accommodation at the lift.

Yeah lack of sleep is my main worry, can’t justify a cabin as can do a all inc france weekend for similar money (can get to London/Birmingham airports easily). Will have to see nearer the time if the snow is worth it!

sweaman2
    Free Member

Been a leisurely start to the season with low snowfall over all.  Despite that Sweajnr managed to ski some “fresh tracks” one day at Nakiska.

https://i.imgur.com/7X3nmQp.jpg

And sweamrs has continued to enjoy practicing racing gates on her fast GS skis (which apparently only really start to work at 60kph+

I spent a few days at Sol Mountain lodge doing some backcountry touring during the first proper storm of the season with over 1m of snow in 5 days!!

We’re going to try Whistler for the first time in a couple of weeks.  This is the last year sweajnr is free to ski there and he’s of an ability where we’re no longer just shadowing on greens and so can do some proper exploring.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season’ is closed to new replies.