The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season
  • Bunnyhop

sprootlet – thanks so much.

I’ve skied q bit of off piste, however usually when the snow has been fab. I’ve had quite a few injuries in the last decade and a full week in bad snow would probably finish me off.

Having also had many lessons in skiing powder and off piste, it’s my head that’s gone. The fear of falling badly and doing myself an injury is too great. I’ll still ski the slack when good snow permits, but days of skiing in stuff like concrete off piste is no fun.

Premier Icon Digby
    Subscriber

Eyeing up a (long) week to the Aosta valley doing a couple of days in la Thuile, Courmayeur, Cervinia and a day in Pila.

La Thuile, Courmayeur & Pila are all pretty close and [depending on your pass] offer days in neighbouring resorts. Trying to tick them all in a week sounds like quite a bit of driving though – as others have said especially if based at Cervinia

Anyone done anything similar to this? We’re mainly off piste skiers and will probably take the skins so we can explore out of the resort boundaries.

Courmayeur and La Thuile are perhaps the closest geographically – you can actually tour off the back of Courmayeur (from the ‘Arp’ lift) all the way down to the La Thuile valley but this would mean either 2 vehicles or someone hitching back to Courmayeur but it makes for a great day out.

Loads of other touring opportunities around Courmayeur inc Helbronner side, Val Veny and Val Ferret. La Thuile doesn’t seem as popular with touring but you can heli from there and also cross over into La Rosiere in France.

Others have mentioned Gressoney and I absolutely love it there! The touring potential is huge and you can stay at one of the mountain huts (Refuge Mantova 3470m) and head upto Piramide Vincent @ 4215m – relevant experience and/or guide required.

Gressoney can get frequent storms with massive snowfall but late in the season it can also get really warm really quickly which has earned it the nickname ‘Grass-and-Hay’ …

tetrode

Does anyone have any good tips on where and when is the best time to get some good deals on last season’s clothing and equipment? I need to pick up a new jacket and snowboard pants/bibs since the ones I have are falling apart. I also want to finally invest in some boots of my own since every rental boot I’ve had has been an absolute nightmare.

nbt

tetrode wrote:

Does anyone have any good tips on where and when is the best time to get some good deals on last season’s clothing and equipment? I need to pick up a new jacket and snowboard pants/bibs since the ones I have are falling apart. I also want to finally invest in some boots of my own since every rental boot I’ve had has been an absolute nightmare.

Abuot two months ago, at the end of the last season

What size are you? I’ve got some Westbeach snowboard pants that I bought and didn’t really get on with…

Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

I noticed Decathlon have some kit on sale.

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

Have you tried many brands of boots?
    I know Flow and Vans fit my feet well and the sizes are always spot on for me so I’ve no problem buying over the internet from places like Absolute Snow for instance.

Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

We’re heading back to the 3 Valleys (Les Menuires) again in Feb. First time there with the kids. We are going with Neilson Ski again, as they do a great job occupying the kids, if they’re too tired/don’t want to ski in the afternoon.

SamB

Does anyone have any good tips on where and when is the best time to get some good deals on last season’s clothing and equipment? I need to pick up a new jacket and snowboard pants/bibs since the ones I have are falling apart.

There’s a load of Spyder kit discounted on Sportpursuit atm. Still a bit on the pricey side but I’ve been using a jacket + salopette combo from there for years and they’re still in good nick.

Speaking of using kit, I am extremely excite for this season. Last year I managed 2.5 weeks, this year it’s looking like just over 3 – couple of days in October in New Zealand, then pre-season in Tignes, a week with friends in 3 Valleys in Feb and hopefully a week with work people in March. Having said that, I am actually on the hook to organize all of those myself. I worry the work one will be like herding cats (30 of us trying to sort self-catering!)

tetrode

What size are you? I’ve got some Westbeach snowboard pants that I bought and didn’t really get on with…

I’m 34 waist but I don’t really buy used clothing, thanks for the offer though!

Have you tried many brands of boots?
    I know Flow and Vans fit my feet well and the sizes are always spot on for me so I’ve no problem buying over the internet from places like Absolute Snow for instance.

Yeah boots are the thing I definitely will need to try on first. The rental ones I’ve had have been either Burton or Thirty Two. They’ve both been way too stiff and just didn’t fit my feet, made my toes numb after a few hours. I get on well with regular Vans and DC shoes, the Vans Ultrarange ones being the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever had and I don’t think I’d ever want to wear anything else! So from that starting point I would love to find a place to try on some Vans boots.

toby1

Depends where you are tetrode, SkiExchange near me is worth a visit, but it’s near Cambridge (skiing Mecca obviously). Good boot fitters are well worth paying for in my experience.

toby1

And now for a question, I’m very loosely thinking of buying some skis. I have 2 weeks planned next year at the moment and will squeeze in more of I can. I’m a piste skier at the moment, about 8-9 trips in having not learned till my mid 30’s. Last few years have been about improving technique and going slower after honestly being a bit of a liability going too fast with too little control.

I’ve hired every time before, but hiring a decent pair in Chamonix opened my eyes to how carp a lot of hire skis are and now it’s hard to go back! This is inspite of hiring more expensive supposedly better skis.

So opinions on Some 2017 K2S?

Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

Some good deals in S&R at Hemmel last week.

Very nice Burton jacket £350 down to £100 or so, was tempted but managed to walk away

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

So opinions on Some 2017 K2S?

I have K2 105s – they are great skis and even at 105 they ski well on piste
    Not sure that your link is a brilliant deal though, without bindings and for 2-3 year old model – in summer

I also wonder a bit whether your next few ski weeks might see big progression and maybe you’ll decide what you really want to do – all piste, loads of powder or whatever

I bought my 105s so I can take them along as a good general ski but if there’s no chance of powder (and maybe lots of ice/rocks) I can rent a pair of piste skis, insure ’em and ski the shit out of ’em. It’s harder to do the opposite and rent wider skis in resort IME

If I were you I’d find a shop that’ll let you try a few brands over your fortnight and form more of an opinion on what you want

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Need to keep an eye on this for any kit deals, as MrsMC is taking a group of Scouts and Guides to Kanderstag in February. She’s started having snowboard lessons at Tamworth – 48 years old and left sided issues from her cerebral palsy.

Hard as nails my Mrs. Think the instructor is earning his money though!

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

Demon board shorts will be a good investment for her, will save some bruises

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

Can anyone give me some info on Japan? It’s the last year before my kid goes to school so time after this will be very limited and I’m not getting any younger so it’s a bit “now or never”. Looking to go somewhere with bottomless POW!™ without spending 3 days of the holiday getting there.

Alternatively, somewhere over the Pond – Kicking Horse is top of the list.

nbt

@jimmy – have a scout around snowheads, there’s loads of info over there

Premier Icon graemethejock
    Subscriber

Hello,
    Im off to Zell Am See in feb for a week. Anyone been and how would you rate it for boarding? Is it possible to get over and back to Leogang from there I understand a new lift/piste was going in. also any recommendations for a guide for some off piste if possible…
    Cheers Graeme

giant_scum

With the spectre of repayment of Contractor Loans still hanging over me, it’ll be what Scotland has to offer.
    Hopefully better than the 3 days we skied last season. Although 2.5 of the days were pretty good if slightly challenging visibility wise, still don’t know what Glencoe looks like!
    Have put out the suggestion to my the OH and youngest daughter of taking the caravan to Glenmore in February. We live in probably the only local authority region that doesn’t take a full week off for February half term!

Alternatively, somewhere over the Pond

Big Sky, and s couple of days at Bridger.

giant_scum

@graemethejock
    I was there 2 years ago, there was one boarder with us think there were a few bits where he had to push himself along.
    Not sure if the new lift linking to the Saalbach area will be ready for this coming season, there is a webcam for it!
    We booked a taxi to take us over to Saalbach and it was something like a 20 minute journey.

nbt

There’s a lovely caravan club site in Braemar (actually, it may no longer be a Club site – in fact no it isn’t https://www.braemarcaravanpark.co.uk/)

It’s on the edge of the village, and right on the road up to Glenshee. You can also get over to the Lecht in a reasonable time. I’d say that staying in Braemar for Glenshee and The Lecht would be better than Glenmore for Aviemore – the funicular is out of service for the foreseeable so there’s only surface lifts there and they can get very busy. Like mahy others I’m not entirely sure that the current management team at Aviemore actually understand or want the snowsports market

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

As far as I know the new lift/piste from Zell to Viehofen (Saalbach) opened last Winter.
    I’ve boarded there a bit, can’t remember any flat bits, some proper flat out pistes though.

toby1

Thanks @scaredypants – It was only as I was posting the link I noticed they were 2017’s. I get your points too.

I found with rentals normally they didn’t move unless you wanted them to, with the ski’s in Cham, they were hard to ever stop moving even when usually you’d be stood still, not sure if this was a condition of ski, something about the model, recent waxing or what. Would be glad to know what people think?

NZCol

I’d agree with nbt, the Cairngorm access is a shambles – the Day Lodge T and the M1 T bar are not pleasant lifts ever and esp. the M1 for kids is almost impossible so depending what’s open and covered it can be massively limiting. I got my 6 year old up the M1 but only because I used to teach skiing FT and am happy using my leg as a defacto poma bar. Id stick to the ‘shee, lecht, glencoe or NR.

giant_scum

With regards Cairngorm not being interested in Snowsports, I think the installing of a Snow factory is quite an investment.
    My youngest is 14 and quite used to Pomas and T-bars, although I’d be in tears by the end of the day using drag lifts.
    Will have a look at the Braemar campsite and see what options are available over at Fort William.
    I’ll need to consult the driver to see if she would drive the Glenshee road to Braemar with the caravan!

tinybits

Looking to book at week at Val Thorens for a week before Christmas (kids break up early) then another week in possibly Sainte Foy prior to Easter.

New skis already bought, Atomic Vantage 90’s, ideal for persuing the nippers around the semi off piste stuff and then a thrash at the end of the day when they’ve got tored and are chilling in the bar. Mrs bits has some new K2 Tough Luvs as well, need to buy some maintenance kit as I’m new to ski owning!

nbt

Where are you coming from? unless you’re coming from The Lecht, it’s fine – we towed from Blairgowrie over the Glenshee pass and had no issues. I’d imagine the Ballater road up the river valley would be easier. When we moved on to Aviemore we went round via Pitlochry rather than use the Lecht Road

On the other side of the country, The Invercoe site in Glencoe village gives good access to Glencoe and Nevis ski areas

Trip report on skiing all 5 areas by caravan – https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70789

kittyr

Whoop whoop I have 10 days backcountry touring in Canada booked, and probably going to get a week touring in the Pyrenees in march as well.

Premier Icon Digby
    Subscriber

Pyrenees is also on my list of ‘possibilities’ for the coming season … as is Norway, Greenland and Italy …

NZCol

The Snow Factory at Cairngorm is simple there to manage the lack of snow at the bottom of the Car park T Bar, and if they move it up the hill a bit (they have an application in) to create a crappy beginners area further up. It’s not strategic, it’s pure panic to have SOMETHING available.

Stoner

Morzine summer “destockage”. Ace.
    Boys sorted for the next few years for €90. Bargin

Them’s some fast planks!

Stoner

Serviced and not too shagged too. No Idea what year. But for a little over the price of one boy’s ski hire for a week…. it’s a no brainer.

Of course now I definitely won’t be able to keep up with them.

nbt

Brighton is a great little resort, had some fun times there. Not sure about the ski bike though

bombjack

Dad rang – fancy a week skiing after 1/2 term without the kids? I’ll pay.
    Mmmm, let me think…
    10 mins later he’s booked us both in for a week in Les Arcs staying at Club Med.
    Never skiied Les Arcs or La Plagne before so am super pumped for a new area to explore, some of the terrain looks awesome.
    Happy days.

toby1

@bombjack, Les Arcs is fun, been there 3 times in the last 4 years. There’s some good stuff on the LaPlagne side, but it can be more skied out if there hasn’t been much fresh stuff. There’s also plenty for all abilities and I prefer the Arcs side of the bubble.

The ‘Irish’ bar in 1950 is about the only nightlife though, although the Club med may have something civilised think it was just about being finished last time I was there. I think that’s the closest to the Club med hotel of the villages.

nbt

There are FIVE club meds in paradiski – two in La Plagne (fairly close to each other in 1800 and 2100) and three in Les Arcs (Peisey Vallandry, Arc 200 and a brand new on in Arc 1600)

toby1

@nbt, wow, I hadn’t realised there were that many, aren’t they all quite pricey as well?

Essentially Paradiski will have plenty of skiing for you bombjack!

nbt

they’re not cheap, that’s for sure. Prices vary – I think the La Plagne is one of the cheapest in the entire range, closely followed by the one in Arc 2000. The on in Arc 1600 is one of the most expensive.

Reasonably good value though as they include lift pass and lessons if required (not equipment hire any more). I understand that you can also arrange to take lunch at one of the other Club Meds in the area, though I’m not sure if that’s just if you;re in a lesson

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.