Viewing 11 posts - 521 through 531 (of 531 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just checked on the PdS (app), from where we returned on Friday and it seems Avoriaz is trying to squeeze one last day out. Surely they’ll be “ordered” to shut up shop soon?

BoardinBob

No, they’re officially closed.

ocrider

It turns out that Andorra haven’t just closed the lifts. They’ve closed the border

thegeneralist
    Free Member

NZCol
    Can you elaborate a bit on the house purchase being binned please. I’m interested in your take on this to feed into our house purchase.

Ta

Edukator
    Free Member

I think NZCol is wise. I’ve seen property prices crash in ski resorts twice in the last 30 years. I bought in the mid 90s dip, there was a run up to 2007 (paper values tripled) then a crash with values halving, and it’s hapening again right now. Buy in two years time and only somewhere high.

I was in Les Arcs last week, by thursday Pierres et Vacances were shutting up, and the big gondolas were shut. In the accomdation I was in every booking for the coming months was cancelled by late friday when I left. I left to pick junior up from ENSA in Chamonix which was shutting half way through his training course.

I’ve just taken junior to Toulouse airport for the last flight home to Berlin before the border closes to non-essentail trafic tomorrow. 1700km driving in a couple of days of thanks to CV19, it’s nice to stop. I hope feeling shit is just the fatigue.

Edit: I shouldn’t complain I got one powder day and another day out on rando skis.
    Edit 2: and junior’s not complaining because he was doing 40 hour + weeks for ESF in the French school holidays; not much snow but great weather meant full classes.

nbt

Well, we were supposed to be in Italy this week – a cheeky week in Courmayeur so Mrs NBT could try her new boots that we bought in Feb. That got canned when Italy was affected, so we were thinking of France or Switzerland. We’d actually decided not to go to the continent before they closed too, but had pencilled in a long weekend in Scotland. Should have been driving up to Stirling tonight, then on to Glencoe and Nevis Range, staying in FOrt William. Sadly, I haven’t dared stray more than 20 yards from a toilet since Saturday so that plan’s been abandoned as well.

There does seem to be a good snow base so we will have to see how well it lasts, perhaps Easter might be an option if things are looking more optimistic by then.

Other than that, it’s next season – if it happens. Wouldn’t normally ski in school holidays but am tempted to book for Christmas, then I know we’re sorted before the transition agreement ends on 31st Dec. Probably high in the Tarentaise – Tignes, Arc 2000, La Plagne maybe

highlandman
    Free Member

Fresh snow again today at both Nevis & GlenCoe, with tremendous depths on the upper mountain. More snow is forecast and temperatures are staying respectably low into next week at least.
    Photos from the avalanche service on Aonach Mor from last Friday attached; risk remains Cat3 at the moment. It has already snowed a fair bit more since last week and even in these images, the summit cairn on the exposed flat top of the mountain is completely buried!

Sunshine!

toby1

I’m not alone in missing the snow, this fun and his daughter sounds just like you’d expect an annoyed teen to as her Dad skis over the sofa!

No idea how to embed a facebook video and can’t find it on youtube.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=610732869513751

Bunnyhop

Ski Sunday are showing a special ‘best of’ this week.

BoardinBob

Was supposed to be flying to Turin today for a couple of weeks in Cervinia☹️

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Swedish resorts are shutting this weekend after advice from the government. Main aim being to stop the easter rush of people from stockholm coming up here and spreading the illness. I’ll be out on saturday fro a splitboard and sunday for some piste bashing, then no more this year.

Viewing 11 posts - 521 through 531 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season’ is closed to new replies.