• This topic has 1,107 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,108 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

Thinking of a week in Le Praz with Skivo2 who include instruction. I’ve been with them before but ages ago. I just wondered if anyone had been with them recently ?
    Recommended ?

Yeah….I’ve skied with them the past two years. They have some very good Instructors, some better than others, but its a good set up and nice people.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Painey, in that case you could always try this guy: http://www.whiteroomsnowboarding.com 😳 😳 😳

I’m based in Sainte Foy, but ride a lot in Tignes/Val d’Isere and really happy to come up and ride/guide up there.

Col Pers is cool BTW. Main line is a bit mellow, especially on a snowboard, but there are some steeper variations which are really good.

nedrapier

Thinking of a week in Le Praz with Skivo2

Skivo McDougal? I think I’ve heard of him.

Painey
    Free Member

Col Pers is cool BTW. Main line is a bit mellow, especially on a snowboard, but there are some steeper variations which are really good

Cool, cheers. I don’t mind it steep.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Thoughts on toddler leashes / harnesses?

Sweajnr (3.5) doing well on the bunny slope but I can already foresee that his desire to go fast is going to out pace his ability / strength to stop. My instinct is not a good idea as probably teaches bad habits etc but I’ve recently seen some that attach to the boots and so avoids the issue of pulling them off balance etc.

Anybody got any positive experiences?

TheDTs
    Free Member

I’m sure to get a flaming for this but, we used a retractable dog lead on ours for a couple of runs when they were very little.
    It was a good confidence booster for the kids (& Mum)
    They had a harness on anyway, which is great for getting on and off chair lifts and for holding on to them when skiing with them between legs. Also good for getting tired and stroppy kids on the ski bus.

With the lead it was quite good as you can stay back a bit, not take any weight off them and just have it there to stop them if required. Just used on very quiet runs, we didn’t want anyone bombing between us and snaring them!
    I have a couple of harnesses & a dog lead we no longer need, if you are interested.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Some images from the first few days of Whistler.

Blackcomb opens tomorrow but it’s currently pishing down with rain almost all the way to the top, so tomorrow could be an interesting day!

nbt

@whatnobeer

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct7Ke_vH_vU[/video]

(just kidding , though I am DEEPLY, deeply, jealous)

Digby

@whatnobeer … very nice indeed!

Watch out for those ‘tree wells’ 😉

Enjoy!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Anyone using Flow bindings? I’m looking at a package and for a bit more can get Flows. I’ve always fancied them, the lack of buckle faff is very appealing. I thought they’d be more prevalent than they are.

Also if anyone has a Salomon Pulse board I’d be keen to hear your thoughts, everything points to it being a great board for the money.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

don’t do it they suck. They suck less than they did, but they still suck. This is a FACT .

Pulse is soft to mid flex I think, haven’t ridden it but I imagine won’t be stable at speed but will be a laugh and will turn and spin good. a fun board.. No carves though I doubt, especially if paired with flows 😀

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yeah, friends don’t let friends ride Flow.

Got my first turns of the season in yesterday. After I picked up my free season pass. Having a LOT of good moments right now! :mrgreen:

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll save a bit not buying Flows. Pity the idea doesn’t work in practice, I also see clip in has been sacked too.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

More help required please. I’m a lapsed boarder and haven’t done much since the 90’s, a few days here and there. Back then I seem to remember choosing a board really by whatever came up to your chin and adjusting slightly for fun or fast. Seems to be more to it these days.

I was all set to buy the Salomon Pulse as mentioned above and I’d looked at their Rhythm bindings, the shop I’d been browsing had a recommend me a board type contact page which I duly filled in, mentioning the Salomon board. The shop has suggested three other boards(Salomon Sleepwalker, Burton Ripcord, DC Ply). How much of a factor is weight? Lots seem to be made of a boards flex and wotnot, could the Salomon be too light for me? I’m 90kg+. I reckon I could have got everything boots,bindings and board for the same price as the boards that were suggested though I don’t won’t to buy something that is unsuitable.

All I’m planning for is a couple of days up north if we get any snow and some indoor stuff to get some practice in, most of the reason I was looking to get kitted out on a budget.

igm

Where are you based? If you’re near an indoor slope Ellis Brigham generally have demo boards.

Don’t listen to me though – I like my Flow bindings. I also have Now bindings and I have had Drake and Burton. But I like the Flows. But then I’m just cruising really.

Digby

Back then I seem to remember choosing a board really by whatever came up to your chin and adjusting slightly for fun or fast

In terms of sizing, weight and foot size are probably more pertinent these days.

Most decent board manufacturers will state a weight range or maximum weight.
    If you take a boot size > UK10 then you might want to look at a wide board. Broadly speaking a longer board gives you more ‘float’ in powder whereas a shorter board is more ‘maneuverable’.

To be honest if you are only doing a few days here and there and in a fridge then I wouldn’t worry too much. even at 90kg+ you don’t need float for riding in a fridge and a short board can allow for shorter radius turns*

As igm says: Have a look at rentals from Ellis Brigham. And have a look at the 2nd hand market – you don’t need to spend a fortune to have fun

… but please … avoid the Flows! 😉

*subject to board design

whatnobeer
    Free Member

(just kidding , though I am DEEPLY, deeply, jealous)

Don’t be, it rained all the way to the top last night so today was like an ice rink!

*makes note to sharpen edges*

Bunnyhop

Father Christmas has come early (I’ve been a very good girl).
    Volkl Attiva Sol arrived, luckily not down the chimney. 😀

I’m hoping they’ll be the equivalent of a Full suss, to be all singing, all dancing and turn me into a skiing goddess.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

This time next week I’ll be in Leogang/Saalbach! Looking like my early season cheap gamble is going to pay off

choppersquad
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend some decent but not expensive sunglasses for snowboarding?

wallop

Saalbach looks super at the moment, you lucky thing! We went Christmas ‘14 and it was pretty dire 😆

giant_scum
    Free Member

Any of the skis half decent in this Black Friday sale

http://www.skishopweb.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=659_660_673

Made a return to the slopes last year in Scotland and of to Austria in January for a week. Not sure what length I would need I am about 6’1” and my weight is the wrong side of 15 stone!

igm

Cheap sunglasses, choppersquad? There’s a song about that you know.

dozofoz
    Free Member

^
    Skishopweb.com mentioned above is a counterfeit site.

If it sounds too good to be true my friend…

Digby

Can anyone recommend some decent but not expensive sunglasses for snowboarding?

Unless you’re touring I’d forget the sunglasses and buy some goggles that fit with your helmet if you’re wearing one.

Glasses invariable don’t offer the protection from glare (unless they are the Jublo Glacier glasses or similar), make your eyes prone to watering when you pick up speed or the wind is blowing and they tend to go flying off when you bail …

Goggles for sure … 🙂

Duane…
    Free Member

Quick location question. What would you all recommend out of:
    Chamonix in mid Jan
    Chamonix in mid March
    Arinsal, Andorra at any point

In terms of snow base, snow fall, weather conditions, and fun-level of pistes/off-piste.

Thanks!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Duane:

Cham in Jan for sure, out of those options.

I’d probably go somewhere else though.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Thanks digby.
    Goggles on my Christmas list then.

Duane…
    Free Member

Stevomcd – thanks.

Change of question – if you could pick any European ski resort, where and when would you go, taking into account price (on a tight budget – accom, ski pass, travel from London), snow/weather conditions, and fun-ness for middle level skier and snowboarder.

Thanks!

drlex
    Free Member

Following on from choppersquad’s q – what’s good in goggles? Aldi at £7.99 too cheap? Family trip, and unlikely to get repeat use for a few years. Think I had Smith ones a decade ago on my last trip.

Duane…
    Free Member

Expanding on above question – thoughts on package holidays VS sorting it all my self (Airbnb etc) in terms of price? And any recommendations for package deals?

Thanks!
    Duane

choppersquad
    Free Member

I did notice that Sports Direct had some cheap No Fear goggles that seem heavily reduced. Worth a go?

sprootlet
    Free Member

Hi Choopersquad
    Depends on the lenses really, if they are grey they will be fine in bright conditions but awful if overcast.
    For general use try and find ones with pink or orange tint, this helps with definition in flat light.
    Anon helix come with 2 lenses-mirrored for sunny and persimmon for flat light. They’re good value but may be out of your budget.

jam-bo

Expanding on above question – thoughts on package holidays VS sorting it all my self (Airbnb etc) in terms of price? And any recommendations for package deals?

Thanks!
    Duane

If your prepared to slum it a bit, then the UCPA/Action Outdoors packages are hard to beat.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Hi Duane
    We’re doing a package and a DIY this year. Cost wise might not be too dissimilar by the time you factor in flights/transfers/food/driving costs.

We got a bargain luxury holiday for 13th Jan with skiworld (50% of list price), try iglu ski for the offers then google the accommodation name and have a look at the companies actual website as the prices may be different. Depending on budget le Ski do good chalets.
    I didn’t particularly enjoy Chamonix if I’m honest but it’d be boring if we all liked the same things.

Digby

I didn’t particularly enjoy Chamonix if I’m honest but it’d be boring if we all liked the same things

Absolutely – a lot of folks don’t like the fact that the ski areas in Chamonix Valley are really spread out and it can be a real grind on busy buses.

All kinda depends on what you like I guess. Personally I love Chamonix, but I do appreciate it might not be to everyone’s taste and conditions have been pretty mixed there for the past few years.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. Any recommendations for other package sites – I have been on a UCPA holiday before which was fun – but can’t find any prices that beat those on skiweb.co.uk

Looking for a week or so from mid Jan, including flights from London, transfers, ski pass – prices so far of around £500 self catering (half board would be ideal), to places like Flaine, Le Grande Massif.

Any tips to get better?

Thanks!

Edukator
    Free Member

Snow on the way for the Alps and Pyrenees. Should be enough for the festive season. 8)

YoKaiser
    Free Member

After a weekend of staring at boards and reading and watching reviews I’ve plumped for a Nidecker Axis with Drake bindings. Its a bit smaller than recommended for my weight but not outlandish, hopefully a bit more nimble for indoors.

Just need boots now. Do people still size up? I remember getting a half size bigger for thick socks before. This is something I’m going to have to get out and try on though.

NZCol

Had a glisshop moment on Friday – was planning new skis for her lady ship but also got a touring setup and new avi gear. Skint but total was circa -56% from everywhere else !

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,108 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season’ is closed to new replies.