• This topic has 1,107 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by igm.
Viewing 28 posts - 1,081 through 1,108 (of 1,108 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season
  • Premier Icon whatnobeer
    Free Member

https://vimeo.com/258354745

Don’t think we can embed from Vimeo, but this is a sick little edit from a couple of local shredders. I’ve skied 2 of the lines, though not with as much speed, a lot more turning and less air than these 2.

Premier Icon nedrapier

Afternoon all.

Just back from a week in Chamonix. Mixed week, some truly awful skiing, some staying in the valley working on the laptop cos it was raining, a day of top Bin GM laps in 30cms of powder, some great fun ski touring, and a thankfully injury-free slap in the face from the mountains on the last day.

Lorne’s write-up:  http://www.lornecameron.com/  Lots to dwell on and digest.

Careful out there, kids!

Premier Icon Digby

Interesting write-up nedrapier … thanks for sharing the link!

Really pleased to hear you’re ok!!

Heading out to Chamonix myself for a week this Saturday! Seems that the Spring thaw/freeze stability has been late to arrive this season …

Premier Icon nedrapier

Cheers Digby, it was a much more valuable experience than the 8 or 10 turns I missed out on!

How was your week in Cham?  Get much done?

Premier Icon Digby

Saw FreezePro shop also posted Lorne’s write up of your ‘experience’.

My week in Cham was good thanks – although we spent much of it in Italy. Did a splitboard tour of Gran Paradiso (4061m) & Pyramid Vincent (4215m)

Premier Icon igm

2019 part 1 – booked.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Free Member

where/when?

Premier Icon smokey_jo

We’ve gone for Les Gets in Jan and Obergurgl again in March – I think the missus has got a crush on the instructor she had this year!

Premier Icon igm

Lets Gets at half term. But only 3 of us. Our eldest is doing Courmayeur with school.

Part 2 is to be States/Canada at Easter. Probably somewhere out of Calgary.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

Cervinia booked for New Year. Might try a cheeky week for later in the season too.

Premier Icon grahamt1980

Deciding on either austria or la tania in jan. Then hopefully a trip to äre in March

Premier Icon NZCol
    Free Member

LG booked for 29th December. Freestying it this year so will prob do less skiing and more hanging out with LittleMissNZCol

Flights booked for asSecond cheeky 4 day trip in February. Just need to decide on resort 🙂

OK, so where should a single bloke (as in going on without the family rather than single single – if you know what I mean) go to learn to snow board for a week in March. I’m a very average skiier so thought I’d give boarding a bash. I’m going to treat myself to a week away with lessons every day to give it a good go. Flying from Scotland, so GVA, MUC and MXP are all doable easily enough. Wheredya recommend?

Premier Icon TheDTs

Somewhere in Austria, or Chamonix which has a good bunch of Brits about so finding a group would be easy.

Serre Che (Via Turin or GNB) would be good, some good ski schools, UCPA and a great ski area and lift improvements due for next season.

March would likely be quiet but check the Euro holiday dates to be sure you don’t end up in resort with the whole of Paris..

Other news, booked up for a big three generation family trip to Les Arc for Easter, 12 bed Chalet Altitude, Driving.

Easter is late so hoping for another season like this year…

CFH, Time for a new thread??

Premier Icon CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Patience, Grasshopper, patience…

New season thread soon! Compiling some news/kit/etc to kick it off with!

@oldtennisshoes
    , why not just learn to be a better skier? The progression will be easier, and all the cool kids are skiing these days. As above, Serre Che via Turin is ace. Hook up with Petit Paul at Ski Connections if you can, a great instructor and a great guy.

Thanks guys. Improving my skiing isnt a bad idea, but I’m board curious, so may need to get that out of my system.

Serre Che would be nice, but flights from Scotland to Torino or Grenoble are less frequent than the others. I’ll have a shufty.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Free Member

March conditions in the Portes du Soleil have been excellent for the last three seasons.

a little over an hour transfer from GVA. (highly recommend: http://www.alpnavtransfers.com/ )

the team at https://www.esf-montriond.com/ are fantastic for both skiing and boarding. The Slope options around Lindarets (in the woods), up into Avoriaz or over into Chatel means you can always find appropriate terrain for your lessons in just a couple of lifts.

Zeb and Amie are returning to the Chalet Montana this winter – which is oorsum newz – and so very good value single person accommodation in a very convenient location is nailed on.

https://www.chaletmontana.org/

Chalet Montana has its own navette bus stop at their front door from which you’re a five minute ride to the ski station at Ardent

The Winter ’17 Bus Timetable

And https://lamarmottedor.com/ in the village keeps winning the Morzine Source Bar of the Year awards (they weren’t nominated this year to give other bars a chance 😉 )

Premier Icon CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hadn’t spotted March as a time in your earlier post!

Not Serre Che, then. Flights aside, it’s not the highest, so could be a bit of a lottery! What about Les Arcs 2000? Not a pretty location, but nice and high and lots of great terrain.

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

When does the 18/19 season thread start? Counting the sleeps already 🙂

Premier Icon grahamt1980

Just booked for les gets in January.

First set of ski lessons for our 3 year old then

Premier Icon NZCol
    Free Member

First tracks of the season – Zermatt glacier this morning. 6:30am lift and 3.5 hours of cruising around. Snow was quite nice before 10am. Back down, jaunt on bike up to glacier, quick shower and lift up hill for beer and rosti ! Awesome start to the season 🙂

edit: I wouldn’t have bothered but the chap we are renting an apartment off is an instructor and was keen for a slide so managed to find me a set of spare boots roughly the right size, skis etc and my pass was only another 26f to upgrade. Zermatt is without doubt the most expensive place on the planet !

Premier Icon wallop

Zell am See in Jan for the annual lads trip! Avios point to use up so business each way as well. Ding!

Premier Icon dashed
    Free Member

@oldtennisshoe
    What about UCPA? They do inclusive weeks with accommodation, full board, gear hire and instruction. Like a posh, French version of YHA. Loads of singles there and sociable places.

La Plagne for Feb – first time for many years with tour operator – generally hate the organised nature of the things, the reps, the waiting for everyone to get their shit together before the bus can leave etc etc. But with a 1 year old in tow, we’re going for the Esprit Ski option with childcare etc.

Then Les Gets in March for 11 days – missed my PDS trips for the last couple of years, so looking forward to getting back.</div>

Premier Icon dashed
    Free Member

double post

Premier Icon nbt

Wallop wrote:

Zell am See in Jan for the annual lads trip! Avios point to use up so business each way as well. Ding!

I think I see a flaw…

Premier Icon wallop

Token 😄

Premier Icon igm

Bye bye 17-18.

The snow was good.

Viewing 28 posts - 1,081 through 1,108 (of 1,108 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season’ is closed to new replies.