• This topic has 1,994 replies, 143 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 1,995 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season
  • Digby

Phew. I thought I was the one that had jinxed it.

To be fair … it probably was you! 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Was that aimed at me, nbt?

😉

If it’s any consolation, I have a roaring hangover this morning.

nbt

gosh flashy, whatever gave you that impression? I adore reading your stories of skiing fun while I sit at my desk, know I won’t get away again this season…

😈

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

Sorry .

Not sorry.

GrahamS

To be fair … it probably was you!

BURN HIM!

Just in case.

swavis

I remember being in Banff a few seasons ago when it was less than ideal, we took a day trip to Kicking Horse and it was horrid, not quite boiler plate but pretty bad. We were just glad to get back to Sunshine & Lake Louise.

We were up the Lech this afternoon and had a great time doing laps of the Falcon, I wish we could’ve stayed longer but had to get back for the kids, better than an afternoon at work though 😉

We’ve booked up to go to Val di Fassa in the Dolomites next year, anyone been?

GrahamS

We’ve booked up to go to Val di Fassa in the Dolomites next year, anyone been?

Yep was there two years ago. Cool place. Scenery in the Dolomites is stunning, though I did find the runs were mostly suited to people wanting to put a lot of miles in (or do the circuit) rather than being interesting runs in their own right.

Good holiday though. I’d go again. Great being able to drop into little villages for lunch.

Bunnyhop

I’ve just been catching up on snowheads. The Pyrenees have pinched all the snow.

Some of the lifts are completely submerged.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve never seem as much snow in my life in the western Pyrenees. They managed to open six of the twenty nine pistes today. And the road at midday after a few days with the road closed due to avalanches. Fortunately we had some classic x-c skis in the cupboard and spent our time scooting around the only bits of the resort without steep slopes above.

nedrapier

50% off everything Trew Gear at the moment. Google the website. I’d post a link but (HELLO?!) I’m on the phone on a plane to Tromsø.

Trew Gear is really good kit. Nicely designed and built to last. Great value at 50% off. Not site what postage and tax will put on top, but if you’re in the States, or know someone who is…

Ask Flashy nicely, he might bring some back

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Too late, ned, am already at the airport. Staring wistfully at the mountain range that runs parallel to the runway.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

BURN HIM!

Someone needs to burn.

The brochure:

The reality (or as one Australian resort worker on the bus put it “Most vertical ice in North America”):

[url=https://flic.kr/p/roudAf]DSC00250[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r7Kg4L]DSC00272[/url]

P.S. Grum, if you could let us in on a few of your secrets, that would be amazing. I have the exact same camera, and get variable results. Aperture not being able to process Fuji RAW and the weird way that it seems to flip between jpg or jpg and RAW depending on which mode you are in are a bit of a hinderance at the moment.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Anyone in Les Menuires / Val Thornes. This is going to take some moving;

link

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That happened on Saturday didn’t it? Transfer day and the road was closed to coaches. 😯

We’ll be driving up there on Saturday. There is a route for cars avoiding the main road. Hopefully it’ll be shifted by the weekend.

swavis

GrahamS – Member

Yep was there two years ago. Cool place. Scenery in the Dolomites is stunning, though I did find the runs were mostly suited to people wanting to put a lot of miles in (or do the circuit) rather than being interesting runs in their own right.

Good holiday though. I’d go again. Great being able to drop into little villages for lunch

We’ll be there with the wee ones so that sounds perfect, thanks 😀

GrahamS

Cool. They have some great facilities for kids. Our eldest had first ski lessons there when she was two.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dd, yes. The rock has gone now, they dynamited it and repaired the road I understand

A few more photos here and a video

GrahamS

Impressive. That would have taken six months in the UK (if it happened outside London).

davetrave
    Free Member

I’ve never seem as much snow in my life in the western Pyrenees.

Oh yes indeedy! Just back from a week in El Tarter – the middle few days were a pain as the lifts and pistes above mid-station were closed because of the weather, but by the end of the week, with so much undisturbed pow pow… Wow wow! IGMC…

There must have been well over a metre of fresh snow. Off-pisting 46 degree slopes in the trees, awsumz…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No apologies, but here’s a few more pics from Montana!

You know what they say about the sky in Montana? Well, it’s not a lie. The sky is MASSIVE!

Epic nu-skool clothing!

Epic old skool fartbags!

On an ordinary week day as well, not a retro day! Glorious!

This was at the top of Bradley Meadows, a little out of bounds, and a boothike up, and just over the lip was a glorious, untracked powder field which then led in to glorious untracked tree lines back down to the base station. Stunning.

20mins from Bozeman to Bridger Bowl. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend skiing there! 8)

Edukator
    Free Member

Don’t leaver it too late if you haven’t skied yet:

igm

Stop it. I go at Easter.

GrahamS

Two mates have just spent the day at Cairngorm. They got 6cm of fresh overnight. That’s more than Whistler has managed in about three weeks.

I’m. Really. Happy. For. Them.

*chews through lip*

dashed
    Free Member

Just back from a week in Gressoney and catching up on the thread and pics. Here’s one from me, never a bad start to your morning 🙂

Taken on a Lumix LF1 after I too got sick of hauling the DSLR around!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok, (reassuringly quality) bags nearly packed, fresh snow this week, temperatures low enough to keep snow in good nick forecasted next week, bad back sorting itself out. I’m going to allow myself to get a little bit excited. 🙂 Six bloody years…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Fingers crossed I’ll be in Zermatt in 10 days …

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Norway was nice. Relentless snow every night, POW madness I tell thee. However I can confirm that Avocados are very expensive

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DD, make sure there are pics! And, have a bloody great time! Back in time for the rugby?

I had a two year break, and getting back on snow felt brilliant, just brilliant.

Dashed, that looks OK, I suppose. I mean, just OK. 😉 (LOVE IT!)

I know we’re a little way off, but once again I have to extend my MASSIVE thanks to everyone on this thread. It’s an annual highlight for me, over the last couple of years it’s given me vicarious ski trips through your adventures for example, but every year, it’s a beacon of what’s ace about STW. People sharing their experiences, opinion and enthusiasm with a great sense of humour.

Everyone, give yourselves a hearty pat on the back and a cold beer.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Steady on some of us have still to go on our first trip of the season 😮

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Steady on some of us have still to go on our first trip of the season

Get a wriggle on!

She’s nearly here!

😉

wallop

Hey Flashy – get thee to Instagram and do a search for #retroski 😆

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Quick PSA. Sportspursuit have Dakine heli pro rucksacks at £41.99 at the moment.

Does anyone have experience of Blue Tomato? Do Ellis Brigham price match them? I’m after a Jones Aviator 160w, but the wide boards are not reduced in the EB sale yet.

Stoner
    Free Member

Even in a sale EB are ridiculously expensive. I last used Blue tomato nearly 10 years ago I think. Seemed OK at the time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Love the retroski stuff!

Funny thing about the fartbag couple above was that they were skiing on an ordinary midweek day, were late 20s to early 30s, and didn’t seem to be doing it for the giggles. I got the feeling that was just the kit that they had. Brightened up an already bright day!

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Normally I’d agree, but the non-wide aviator at EB is the lowest price I can find at the moment (plus I can pick up from the CasVegas store)

[Edit] Do prices tend to drop any further than the current March sales?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I must say that snowboarder looks like a right t*t. I imagine he had a TechNine board and an irrational hatred of skiers.

GrahamS

Quick PSA. Sportspursuit have Dakine heli pro rucksacks at £41.99 at the moment.

And those fancy schmancy Split Rollers too: £63 for men’s 65L, £65 for women’s 100L.

igm

I used Blue Tomato last year for a Jones Mountain Twin.

No problems and probably the best delivery tracking system I’ve ever experienced. From their shop/warehouse to the local depot, regional depot, their airport, my airport and so on – about 15 or so tracked stages right to my desk at work. Fantastic.

Of course a good tracking system is no reason in itself to buy from them and they may have changed couriers.

And Flashy, it’s not spring. It’s not going to be spring until after Easter. Hopefully. Although someone is mowing grass outside at the moment. Cold weather, think cold weather.

nbt

Nevis range up in the top 5 for freshies this week with 30cm of new snow.

5 pyrenean resorts in the top 10 for total snow depth. Spring might well be on the way but there’lkl be skiing in the pyrenees for some weeks yet. this is how Gavarnie looked at the weekend after the last storm

Dimanche 1er mars, la station de Gavarnie-Gèdre sera partiellement ouverte avec un tarif unique à 15,50 euros :Pistes…

Posted by Gavarnie – Gèdre on Saturday, February 28, 2015

GrahamS

Nevis range up in the top 5 for freshies this week

Blimey that’s not something you see every day! (sauce?)

Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 1,995 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season’ is closed to new replies.