• This topic has 1,994 replies, 143 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 35 posts - 1,961 through 1,995 (of 1,995 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season
  • stevomcd
    Free Member

Digby, no, still got the big exam to get through, plus a couple of other minor hoops.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Steezy.

[video]https://youtu.be/7SCuxR-gMO0[/video]

I have only ever tried out a practice rail, and fell off and broke a rib.

igm

Anyone get anything in the end of season sales?

Sweet Protection Supernaut salopettes here. Goretex Pro material, shell only, with zip-off braces and many many pockets. And the biggest vents ever. Eye blinding “Apple Green”.
    £185 delivered from that there SportPursuit.

Liking them. Roll on next year.

scotroutes

It’s too soon to let this thread go.

A drop in temperatures and snow showers next week should keep us going into the May BH weekend.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

peabrain
    Free Member

Yup, I believe it is getting better and better up there. I haven’t been since the easter hols but my oldest son is up constantly especially now it is study leave

I think we might go for one last blast on may day monday. Shame they are closing after then…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Went for a final weekend in Norway last week. Slushy madness . Fair few lifts open and such good fun.

Alas now it’s time to wax the boards and put them in the basement for 8 long long months. A very depressing thought .

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Heh, Whistler is open until the 7th of June 😯

Really weird with the bike park being open 2 weeks early.

Mix of folk in shorts and full face helmets and spring skiers and boarders

colp

Might be going to Leogang for a DH week at half-term, so a day at the Kitzsteinhorn will be on the cards, season ain’t over yet!

scotroutes

Last weekend of the season on Cairngorm Mountain coming up. Still a fir bit of snow around too!!

Spin
    Free Member

You and me Scotroutes are speaking to deaf ears. Hardly anyone on here is interested in the awesomeness that is the Scottish backcountry. Their loss.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d love to be up there!

Longest lived STWS&ST evah? I think it might be!

Soon be August and time to start the 15/16 edition! 🙂

Spin
    Free Member

I’m afraid to say I’ve lost a bit of interest myself but it looks like there will be quality stuff to be done in Scotland well into June. Assuming you’re willing to earn your turns.

igm

I just bought fleece trousers to go under the Sweet Protection Goretex shell salopettes I bought. £3.59 a throw at Decathlon – at that price it seemed rude not to.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Spin – Member
    You and me Scotroutes are speaking to deaf ears. Hardly anyone on here is interested in the awesomeness that is the Scottish backcountry. Their loss.

What would you like us to say?

Spin
    Free Member

What would you like us to say?

You don’t need to say anything. It was just an observation that there are lots of folks on this thread who are clearly keen skiers but very little chat on the excellent backcountry skiing to be had in Scotland.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Okey dokey

mugsys_m8

Forgot about this. We had a great time in the Lyngen Alps in N Norway. If you are into offpiste/ touring then the Lyngen Alps or the Troms area in general isn’t really worth going to……. 😉

Photos of our rubbish trip

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nice

nedrapier

Very nice! – need a better look through them later.

Where did you ski? I recognised Storgalten and Russelvfjellet, but not much of the rest.

Limbering up to editing the video I took – I’ve chosen a tune and worked out how to convert the timelapse jpegs into a movie, so that’s some progress!

Still, I expect freeridenick will beat me to it with his, despite my 5 week head start!

nedrapier

Spin – If I was close enough that the scottish backcountry was a viable weekend drive away, I’d be out there all winter, but it’s far enough from me that e.g. Chamonix is only an hour further in the car. Picking Cham because I’ve got a bunch of friends there with a few spare rooms between them.

I’ve never skiied in Scotland and I am keen to, but there’s a lot of competition in the same journey radius – ‘plane or car, and it’s never stood out well compared to other options on the table at the time.

mugsys_m8

We did (in this order and the order of the photographs):
    Kavringtinden (white out backed off on the corniced ridge)
    Daltinden
    Russelvfjellet
    Storgalten and Stetinden (the day of the trip)
    Fajerflellet with some friends we met up with
    Buren
    A brief outing on Kjollen before the plane in a serious hoolie.

Video here the friends we met up with on Fajerfjellet here: Video

mugsys_m8

We did (in this order and the order of the photographs):
    Kavringtinden (white out backed off on the corniced ridge)
    Daltinden
    Russelvfjellet
    Storgalten and Stetinden (the day of the trip)
    Fajerflellet with some friends we met up with
    Buren
    A brief outing on Kjollen before the plane in a serious hoolie.

Video here the friends we met up with on Fajerfjellet here: Video

mugsys_m8

Has this video about Scottish skiing been done here?

Frenchies do Scotland

piemonster

Soon be August and time to start the 15/16 edition!

Get to ****, that’s too long to wait.

Talk has started here in the lair of the pies about North America. Although after some of the reports on here I’m not sure about that.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Fonna in Norway is having trouble opening the summer camp because of 13 feet of snow

http://snowboarding.transworld.net/news/norway-resort-gets-pounded-with-13-feet-of-snow-in-june/#QtzdeMJwGEpZg6gj.97

piemonster

@Howsyourdad

Are you based in Sweden.

Any thoughts on Åre for Christmas week?

Other than expensive!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@piemonster sure I’m up for it. You bring all the British stuff like Quality Street and Christmas Pud and I’ll drive up with all the booze Oh wait I see… um, awkward …

I think Christmas or not, Åre is brilliant. It doesn’t have the vertical feet , but it is steep and challenging. However that means if it doesn’t get the snow the slopes can be icy and exposed , as it’s often windy. For example this year was very poor with snow.

If it’s good, it’s wonderful and empty even at Christmas and the boarding is fantastic . If the snow is poor it’s a tough place to be.

cchris2lou

Booked the flights to Geneva for Christmas week .

not sure i want to book to les gets again after last year lack of snow .

might try Morzine as easier to get to Avoriaz if needed .

piemonster

You bring all the British stuff like Quality Street and Christmas Pud and I’ll drive up with all the booze Oh wait I see… um, awkward ..

LOL

GrahamS

Apologies for the Facebook link but here is a nice little video of someone doing a slightly sketchy ski descent of Tower Gully on Ben Nevis yesterday (14th June):

https://www.facebook.com/hamish.frost/videos/10153429251648921/

piemonster

Trenchy

grum
    Free Member

Thoughts on this transceiver anyone? Seems to get pretty good reviews.

https://www.theoutdoorshop.com/3-plus-transceiver.html

Viewing 35 posts - 1,961 through 1,995 (of 1,995 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season’ is closed to new replies.