Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The sensible response to littering
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

🥳👍👍🔥

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers OP that is gold!

funkmasterp

That’s brilliant

mattyfez

Lol! Brilliant!

MoreCashThanDash

Superb!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

HaHa, mint!

The sensible response to littering

I’d just ban McDonalds, which would stop a lot of chavvy shite strewn across this country at least.

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

You don’t **** about with the guardia civil! They must have known he was from a left wing voting family

CountZero

Saw that on Flipboard the other day, and I thought it was appropriate retribution; pity it doesn’t happen here.

FuzzyWuzzy

Ouch, the fine seems a bit steep – that said I wish fly tippers in this country got the same.

joeegg
    Free Member

I have a house in a small Spanish village and the residents association set up a small walled area next to the recycling bins specifically for things like fridges,old furniture,etc.
    Every couple of weeks a guy arrives with a big trailer and takes the stuff away.He’s on contract from the council and makes a bonus by being able to keep any money from the scrap value of the stuff.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Ouch, the fine seems a bit steep – that said I wish fly tippers in this country got the same.

I wonder if anyone littering being liable for that sort of fine would make a difference. You would think the chance of the average person being financially ruined for dropping a crisp packet or something might make them think before doing it!

FuzzyWuzzy

Was watching a TV program the other day and a guy got a £60 on the spot fine for littering (dropped a fag butt), he complained he was on benefits and couldn’t afford to pay it. Can’t say I had any sympathy (especially as he’d just walked past a bin).

13thfloormonk

I organise local litter picks every now and then, feels like the only sensible/practical response in Britain anyway.

You rapidly form opinions about litterers though, for instance I now judge smokers a lot more harshly as it seems to just be socially acceptable chuck butts away, there’s drifts of them everywhere and you just have to ignore them when you’re litter picking otherwise you’d never get anywhere. Lots of fag packets chucked on the ground too.

Energy drinks are the next worst culprit, loads of Monster and Red Bull cans.

McDonalds wrappers obviously.

Finally (and maybe it’s just our village, I wonder if it’s actually just one person!) that Red Berry Strongbow stuff, forever picking up empty cans (also Polish Lager, although I choose to believe that’s because it’s cheap, not because Polish people litter more than average).

Most of the above suggests kids to me, so maybe the solution is engaging kids with their countryside more so that they actually give a shit at a younger age. Enforced Duke of Edinburgh anyone? 😉

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I think that it’s unfair to blame Mcdonalds for some customers not disposing of their packaging properly .

jeffl

I’ve often thought about the practicalities of charging the companies products that people seem to liter the most. So for every big Mac wrapper that the litter pickers find McDonalds get charged a penny or whatever. Same for monster energy and red bull. Ultimately the charges would be passed onto the customers.

However that assumes that all customers litter equally and that by ramping up the prices people will be priced out the market for buying them. So probably a non starter.

Most sensible approach is snipers. Let your dog shit but don’t pick it up and bin it; shot to the stomach, slow and painful. Minor littering offence e.g. dropping a crisp packet; shot to the arm. Soon see littering drop off.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve often thought about the practicalities of charging the companies products that people seem to liter the most. So for every big Mac wrapper that the litter pickers find McDonalds get charged a penny or whatever. Same for monster energy and red bull. Ultimately the charges would be passed onto the customers.

…..who would then feel entitled to chuck it any where they like because “I’ve already paid for it”

andytherocketeer

£1 refundable deposit on every fag butt, redbull/monster/coke can, piece of chewing gum, maccy d’s container, etc. (edit: and gel wrapper)
    If you don’t take it back, then litter pickers, and anyone else can earn a living from your filthy habit.

Cougar

Was watching a TV program the other day and a guy got a £60 on the spot fine for littering (dropped a fag butt)

They’re red hot on this round where I live (Blackburn / Burnley), I know loads of people who have been caught out. Someone at work got a spot fine for chucking a butt down the road drain, even.

Cougar

£1 refundable deposit on every fag butt, redbull/monster/coke can, piece of chewing gum, maccy d’s container, etc.
    If you don’t take it back, then litter pickers, and anyone else can earn a living from your filthy habit.

I remember as a kid, spending the day wombling glass bottles to claim deposits back. Fill a couple of carrier bags, earn enough cash for an armful of sweets. It’s a shame they stopped doing that.

slowoldman

Every couple of weeks a guy arrives with a big trailer and takes the stuff away

…and lobs it off a big cliff?

willard

We have a system of deposit (Pant) on cans and plastic bottles here and it has, in my opinion, a huge impact on the amount of both that is seen on the streets. Not only do people have a financial incentive to recycle (over and above the Swedish mentality to recycle anyway), but also because just about anyone that is short of money will be collecting cans and bottles left out to get the money back for themselves.

There is generally less smoking here too, although snuss is frikking everywhere which is almost as bad.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The sensible response to littering’ is closed to new replies.