• This topic has 7,709 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by temudgin.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,721 through 3,760 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Should I do it?

After trying and failing to get a London Marathon place for about 368 years, I have given up and am considering entering the Manchester Marathon instead. And I have also always wanted to do a Tri and have just been alerted to the York Triathlon in August (I will just need to do some swimming lessons to sort out technique as it’s rubbish). However I already have a place in the GNR in September. Would a marathon in April followed by a Tri in Aug and a half-marathon in September be a bit of an odd combination in terms of training?

dashed
    Free Member

I’ve got a bit of a marathon itch. Don’t think 2020 will be the year for me though as doubt I’ll have the chance to put the mileage in. I was never really a runner until a couple of years ago and generally do a couple of 10k ish runs a week, plus one or two shorter ones. I’ve done a half marathon distance fell race but that’s literally the longest I’ve ever run so doubt I’d be able to do a full mararthon distance without some serious training.

Going to try and get a GNR entry for 2020 though and maybe a couple of other halfs and longer fell races and go from there…

Sorry – no help to your training question johndoh – just got me thinking 😉

turboferret

Just had my London 2020 championship entry application approved 🙂

Now the simple matter of running a hundred miles a week between Christmas and the end of April…

johndoh
    Free Member

Going to try and get a GNR entry for 2020 though

It’ll be harder than usual as it’s the 40th anniversary so I’d get in early if I were you.

lunge

Would a marathon in April followed by a Tri in Aug and a half-marathon in September be a bit of an odd combination in terms of training?

Nah, I think you’d be fine, particularity if the tri was early August and the half in late September. Once you’ve run a full marathon you’ll find half’s very enjoyable and something of a pleasant distance to run.

mogrim

Would a marathon in April followed by a Tri in Aug and a half-marathon in September be a bit of an odd combination in terms of training?

What lunge says, you’ll be fine. I’m assuming you’re just doing the events for fun / personal satisfaction, if you’re aiming to win then it’s a different matter. (FWIW this year I’ve done a couple of trail marathons, an ironman, 3 half ironmans, and a couple of other local shorter trail races… I don’t bother the winners, and they don’t bother me 🙂 )

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m assuming you’re just doing the events for fun / personal satisfaction, if you’re aiming to win then it’s a different matter.

Yeah just for fun (although I will be training hard to get okay times for an old bloke). Normally I just do my regular running (parkruns, occasional longer weekend runs, two or three 10ks then one ‘big’ event so was just concerned I might be trying to train for too much).

mogrim

was just concerned I might be trying to train for too much

You’re getting the “dangerous” event out the way first, if you don’t get injured building up to a marathon you’ll be fine for the rest. (And there’s no particular reason you should get injured, just that it’s higher risk than the others). Post-marathon start building the cycling, and maintain the running fitness by doing 15-20km long runs and some interval stuff. Lay off the swimming in the week before the marathon, but otherwise keep doing it.

dashed
    Free Member

It’ll be harder than usual as it’s the 40th anniversary so I’d get in early if I were you.

It’s just a ballot isn’t it? So chuck you name in the hat then cross your fingers. Failing that, sign up for a charity place and commit to raising an amount of money for chosen charity.

Or is it not that simple?

will
    Free Member

r8jimbob88 – A very good time for Sunday! I did the event too (including Saturday) and ran the whole thing with my wife. Got to say it was a brilliant event, well organised, and a good route. I could hardly walk after Saturday, so not sure where I found the ability to do Sunday.

Came away with joint 3rd (12:28 for the 60 miles) which meant she got 1st female, and course record by over an hour. Successful weekend!

No running at all last week (part recovery, part time, part cycling) and none this week as away for work, so need to get a long one on Saturday.

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s just a ballot isn’t it? So chuck you name in the hat then cross your fingers. Failing that, sign up for a charity place and commit to raising an amount of money for chosen charity.

Or is it not that simple?

It depends on how you want to do it. If you are just doing the ballot then yes you just put your name down and wait but if you are doing it for a charity many of them are already allocating their places as they have already been given their allocation from the organisers.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Santa Dash today. Was hoping for a too 10 and came in second! Not really a race but it’s likely to be the only time I ever trouble the podium.

Stopped after 1km while an fellow Sutton Runner tied their shoelace, but I couldn’t have caught the winner.

Legs were A bit tired after a parkrun pb of 21:14 yesterday.

RDL-82
    Free Member

I have been slowly (being the operative word here, lost so much speed) getting back into my running as I’ve pretty much lost the cycling love these days.

Wondering if any of you have done the Tour of Tameside?
    I’ve done the first day (10k trail) of the four a few times but work commitments in the past have meant I’ve never been able to do more than that.
    For 2020 it’s looking like I’ll be able to commit to the full four days (Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) and I am seriously tempted to just go for it.

For those that have done it, or something similar (it’s a 10k/6m/half/7m on consecutive days and a mix of trail and road) how do you go about training?
    I’m doing my first half January 5th and have no issues with the other distances but on consecutive days with the fatigue etc I’m unsure how to proceed if indeed I need to do more than just suck it up come the time.
    For those sorts of short distances would people just start to do consecutive days running in training or would you go about it some other way?

My google skills are only bringing up stuff relating to ultras etc.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wouldn’t change my training for that, if you’re used running 4 or 5 times a week it’ll be fine. If not, then aye, get some consecutive days in.

Good time at park run Root. 👌🏻

RDL-82
    Free Member

@Nobeerinthefridge I’m not concerned regarding the short one just the half at present as it’s my unknown.
    Getting 3-4 runs in at the minute currently topping out around 8 miles.

I think I’ll do some consecutive runs just to see how it feels.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I know what you mean. If you’re Okay with the other 3, just go easy on the half, if at 10 miles you feel okay, push on?.

Best of luck!

RDL-82
    Free Member

Cheers. Not until June so plenty more training time.
    The half in January will give me an idea too.

Need a goal and the ‘Tour’ fits the bill.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oops, sorry, I’ve not read your post properly at all!.

Aye, just up your miles until the half isn’t an issue, don’t worry about pace, keep it slow, the pace will come.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Sorry if this has been covered before but does anyone have recommendations for a running jacket. Looking for something as breathable as possible but will keep the rain out for a couple of hours if need be

joshvegas
    Free Member

Well my grand plans for 2019 have amounted to about 13miles total 😁

duckman

Nova; OMM Kamleika ticks those boxes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

New park run opened near me this year. Finally got along.

Crathes castle park run is my localist one.

It started slow to which I’m thinking eh what do these folk all know.

Ran down the only bit of tarmac on the route. Turned right into the woods. Turned right again and boom we are battering up ankle deep in places slippy muddy 3/4km hill.

Winner runs a 17min park run normally at other local events he ran a 20.10

Came in 10th with 24:10.

Also day #7 of marcothon. And today’s was done with Eilidh in the buggy

RDL-82
    Free Member

Ha, no worries @Nobeerinthefridge

Intention is to keep increasing mileage and hope the pace comes with it. Seeing slight improvements already.

Fetchezlavache
    Free Member

After doing my first (one and so far, only) half marathon a few months back in Cardiff with a 1:57, as a 50 year old I’ve just gone for the ballot for the snowdonia marathon, as my first marathon.
    Am I mad? The phrase I see most often is “brutal”, though tbh reading what half of what you lot are up to it should be a walk in the park for some of you..

Any tips (assuming I get in which obviously I may not)? It’s late October so plenty of training time.
    Got my first trail race (Night Nobbler) this coming saturday, then next half in early Jan in E.London, and plan the Preselli Beast Bach and whatever takes my fancy next year, plus a few cycling events.
    Quite enjoying running tbh. Who’d have thought it?

lunge

I’ve just gone for the ballot for the snowdonia marathon, as my first marathon.

Me too! Not my first marathon, but my first hilly one. Really hoping I get in.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Another newbie (nearly 50) here…

Currently running 10k fairly regularly, my first half will be Alloa in March, then Mhor half in June and my first full marathon – Run Mhor – in August. Not sure if that’s too ambitious, but will just be running everything to ‘get round’ rather than aiming for a time. My training for the marathon will start after Alloa half, with the Mhor half just giving me a taste of the Mhor route… Presently using Garmin coach training plan for the half.

Again any tips useful 🙂

mogrim

@subduedsupernova

Sorry if this has been covered before but does anyone have recommendations for a running jacket. Looking for something as breathable as possible but will keep the rain out for a couple of hours if need be

Running jackets are rated by water resistance + breathability, a decent jacket will have at least 10,000/10,000 rating. There are loads out there, I’ve got Ternua jacket (a quality Spanish brand), no idea if it’s available in the UK.

Suggestions here: https://www.northernrunner.com/blog/the-best-waterproof-running-jackets/

Personally I’d get the Innov-8, it’s a British brand and has a good reputation.

Edit: should say that’s just the first link I found searching for “trail running jacket 10000”, other sites are available. And also Raidlight is a good brand, albeit French not British.

mogrim

in other news today was a public holiday in Spain, so to make the most of it 3 mates and I went up a local mountain. Damn it was cold, very windy at the top – almost to the point of getting blown over. Lots of snow and ice too, thankfully I’d remembered to pack my crampons. Good laugh though 🙂

fotos gratis internet

Spin
    Free Member

a decent jacket will have at least 10,000/10,000 rating

I find jackets with that kind of breathability really struggle with runner levels of sweat. Be fine for occasional use or to pass race kit check but for regular or extended use there are plenty of fabrics that do better.

mogrim

I find jackets with that kind of breathability really struggle with runner levels of sweat. Be fine for occasional use or to pass race kit check but for regular or extended use there are plenty of fabrics that do better.

Oh, definitely. 10,000 is a minimum, but as I have no idea of the budget…

import
    Free Member

Can I ask a shoe question?
    Has anyone tried the Salomon Sense Ride 2’s?
    I’m looking for a winter shoe which can handle a 50:50 mix of pavement and very wet and sliddery muddy parkruns/bridleways.
    The Sense Ride 2 looks close enough to Speedcross type grip with some cushioning – does anyone have any experience with them, or better suggestions?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I find jacket ratings to be a load of shite.

I have an outdry TDMB jacket that doesn’t “breath” yet it has been the best running jacket I’ve had in terms of being sweaty.

Anyone know any good routes starting from kenmore up to about 10k ?

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Has anyone had any experience with using trainasone app for a first time marathon?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Say what you mean Terry! 😂

I’d agree btw, you wonder where some of their figures come from.

mogrim

It’s a decent starting point though.

Spin
    Free Member

I’d agree btw, you wonder where some of their figures come from.

I don’t for one minute think they’re accurate but in my experience the jackets I’ve had with higher numbers breathed better and vice versa.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Anyone know any good routes starting from kenmore up to about 10k ?

Loch Tay Kenmore? Up the road toward Amulree and back? Savage climb on a bike, that.

turboferret

On the jacket front, my Gore Active Shell has been amazing. Incredibly light and thin, incredibly breathable, fully waterproof. Not cheap, but has had pretty much daily use for about 6 months of the year for a couple of years now.

On the running front, I’ve been finding my lower abs have been getting absolutely trashed recently. I tried to do a partial situp while measuring the inside of my chimney and just couldn’t, was just left in a world of pain. Coughing while running has been particularly unpleasant too. Not sure what’s causing this, not something I’ve encountered in the past…

lunge

Am I the only one who’s never really got on with jackets? Maybe I sweat to much, maybe I’ve not found the right one, but I’ve never really felt the need.
    If it’s raining I get wet, both from sweat and the rain.
    if it’s cold then I wear a baselayer to suit.

dashed
    Free Member

Running jackets – been using of one of those new North Face Futurelight running jackets for the last couple of months. Really like it but two caveats – firstly, I didn’t pay anywhere near full price so that obviously impacts on my view of “value”. Secondly, I don’t think any fully waterproof jacket is breathable enough for coping with the amount of sweat generated when running.

The Futurelight is good, but not perfect. I did 5k this morning in about 6 degrees, dry-ish and breezy with just a t-shirt underneath. Fine around the body where I was wearing t-shirt, but definitely condensation against my bare arms. Really waterproof though, plus lightweight, comfortable etc. I’ve got a much lighter Inov-8 windproof / showerproof jacket I’ll normally wear if it’s not raining too heavily. Much more breathable but much less waterproof.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,721 through 3,760 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.