• This topic has 7,709 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by temudgin.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,281 through 3,320 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • alanf
    Free Member

Great work TF and good luck at York

johndoh
    Free Member

So… tonight I am going to do some speed work. Can anyone point me in the direction of some simple guidance for the hard of thinking so I can get out and do something meaningful.

Cheers

turboferret

johndoh – fartlek is probably the best bang for buck, and has been described pretty well by a few posters recently. Doesn’t have to be super structured in terms of distance or repetitions, as long as you are stressing the right systems repeatedly. I’d say something along the lines of a 100m sprint followed by the same distance very slow jog. Repeat 10 times ish, it’ll start off fairly easy, and get progressively harder. Make sure you are nicely warmed up first, and have a decent gentle jog afterwards to shake out the legs. If your legs feel utterly ruined the following morning you’ve done well 🙂

An alternative to doing this on the flat would be on a decent hill – sprint up, jog back.

johndoh
    Free Member

Cheers – I have no choice but to have hills due to where I live so I might just base it on ‘jog down hill, turn around and run hard back up’.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at going to a Sutton Runners session for a while now but thought I had to be able to run 10K to be able to join in. Met some friendly chaps at the Nonsuch ParkRun on Saturday and they said all abilities are welcome. So, I plucked up my muster and turned up last night, got a very warm welcome, free membership, free shirt and went off to some hill rep sessions. Gulp.

30 minutes of running fast up the hill then slow down the other side. Ha!, thought I, not a chance, what with me gammy leg, old bones and having run a km to get there. But, I gave it a go and to my surprise I did the full 30 minutes without stopping, gave it some beans up the hills, was pretty knackered by the end, but boy did it feel good! Total distance run was 6.3Km last night which beats my previous furthest by a km! I wasn’t the fastest by a long way – some of them just float up the hill, but by no means the slowest – a solid midfield I’d say.

If anyone finds training on their own boring then I recommend joining a running club. I would never have done hill reps for 30 minutes on my own, but with others around to chase and pace I got through it. BTW, Sutton Runners recommended as one of the friendliest clubs I’ve ever been to. Free membership still on offer for a short time longer…

bob_summers

Nice one Root. Must say I had misgivings about joining a running club after many years of being in annoying, stuffy cycling clubs. But I joined the nearest fell club to where my Dad lives and was pleasantly surprised, though only likely to get out with them a handful of times a year. Midweek evening club runs followed by pub dinner and beer are probably the reason I gained 4kg last time I visited, despite running every other day and doing three M and L fell races…

johndoh
    Free Member

Christ on a bike – that’s tough. Just over a mile on intervals and my legs are burning. And a spin session tomorrow lunchtime 😱😱😱

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I was put off running clubs by my bike clubs experience, but it’s nothing like it, full of brilliant humble people, no one gives a **** what trainers you have! 🤣

mogrim

Triathlon clubs are another possibility, I love training with mine. Again, all levels catered for and a very welcoming atmosphere. (You do need to be able to swim, though, which obviously could be a barrier to some).

On that subject, and looking forward to the weekend: this Sunday sees the last race of the season, a half-ironman by the Med in Spain. Going with 5 other members of my club so should be a good weekend 🙂

lunge

That, my dear STW, is how to start the day.
    5 miles down quiet canals into work. The air was cool and crisp, the morning sun was coming up, there were birds on the canal, it was just glorious.
    Every morning should be like that.

dashed
    Free Member

Kinda the opposite for me last night! 5 miles up and down the Thames through central London dodging commuters and tourists! Enjoyed it in a strange sort of way 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I enjoy a wee dodgefest through the city centre, dunno if I’d fancy it every day though!

Went to a local bootcamp last night, just to try and get a bit of cross training in really, and to expose how poor my core and upper body really are.

Brutal. Hill reps were no probs, core stuff was horrendous. After 30 minutes, death was preferable.

I’ll be back next week. 🙂

lunge

Went to a local bootcamp last night, just to try and get a bit of cross training in really, and to expose how poor my core and upper body really are.

Brutal. Hill reps were no probs, core stuff was horrendous. After 30 minutes, death was preferable.

I’ll be back next week.

I know this feeling well. I’m off to circuits tonight, an hour of smashing self supervised by the fittest 50 year old you’ll ever meet. I bloody love it.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

This looks good for those that like shorter distances. I’d do it as it’s the park I run in (Morden park) just down the road but I am away. Nice hill to run up and down.

https://entries.opentrack.run/2019/mastersxc/

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tempted to have a go again at the sub 20 min parkrun this weekend at the very un-parklike Troon prom parkrun.

johndoh
    Free Member

I can only dream of a sub-20 ParkRun. Saying that, my first ever PR was about 29 mins and I am now at around 24mins so surely I can?…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Absolutely you can, my first 2 years ago ish was about 30 mins.

Down at 20.42 now, but that was 2 months ago, been going mostly longer slower stuff, but some track sessions too.

We’ll see.

turboferret

roots – you’re obviously local to me, I’m Colliers Wood, and run through Morden Park on my way to Leatherhead every day. It’s a shame that XC race is the day before York marathon, otherwise I’d be keen

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve finally got some form back with a 19:27 parkrun last week, just in time for loch Ness 10k in 2 weeks..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff Al. 👏🏻

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Good luck nobeer! That would be quite an achievement in my book.

Turbo, that sounds like quite a long commute that I would think twice about cycling! I do quite like the park as you can vary the route endlessly.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

The suspense is killing me.

Meanwhile, on planet slow, I went out for a ‘quick’ lunch time run yesterday and got a 5k all time best of 25:27. It was around the park so a mixture of loam, pavement, hills, roads, dogs, etc, so I am a little bit more hopeful of getting a sub 25min park run sometime soon. I was quite knackered by the end but feel ok today, legs and all.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good time roots, well done.

Slept in this morning, my abs are in bits after that bootcamp on wed night! Had to roll sideways out of bed.

Wasn’t feeling the love, decided to just go steadier and have a wee tempo instead, 21.57.

My own fault, I’ll be ‘readier’ next week.

duckman

Did the Glen Clova duathalon today, Mrs Duck is a triathlete and convinced me to enter. The roadie bit was a good laugh, but when I got off the bike after 17 miles;it felt like I was using somebody elses legs…somebody shorter who had never run. Which was a pity as the run part was Mayer and Dreish, two Munros.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Horrible, truly horrible, getting off a bike and running.

Well done sir.

turboferret

The first time trying to run off the bike is indeed a unique experience, and often a bit of a surprise how unpleasant it feels! However a with few brick sessions under your belt it becomes much easier

duckman

Cheers guys; the sympathy that wasn’t forthcoming domestically mentioned these brick sessions. However that would suggest the remotest possibility I would do another one. Baws to that caper, never the twain shall meet.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😂😂😂

crewlie

Did my 1st Parkrun at the weekend, don’t have an accessible one at home, so joined the Aviemore one whilst we’re up here. Lovely, encouraging and welcoming folk, a good way to start a weekend.  I was aiming to be under 25mins for the first time, so was quite surprised to get 23.11. Not sure at my age I can get much better, but quite happy with that after just a year of running.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb Mark, I don’t think there’s a more scenic parkrun in the UK.

Spin
    Free Member

Anyone else been dot watching at the Glencoe Skyline today? I had a few buddies in it.

johndoh
    Free Member

Did a 5 miler on Sunday – 50/50 on and off road with some really narrow bits meaning I got stuck behind people walking a steep stepped section but really happy with a 41:30 (I was expecting more like 45 mins due to the terrain and climbing). Makes up for last week’s disappointment at the ParkRun.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight hijack but I’m after advice if anyone knows their stuff on hamstrings. Last Thursday while out running I felt quite a pull and then throbbing pain on my left upper hamstring at the glute. So I walked home. I saw a physio on Saturday morning and as I’m running the New York marathon on November 3rd she said it was a slight tear and best not to run it . She’s given me some strengthening exercises and told me to just swim for a few weeks. I was planning on just taking ibuprofen and painkillers and taking it easy around New York. What’s the worst that could happen? Obviously apart from losing all our Thomas cook flights this morning r😩

bob_summers

I was telt off on here for running on ibuprofen. Not great for the kidneys over longer events.

My leg is absolutely buggered. Knee got better but left me limping around on a sore lower leg, outside of shin, ankle, heel. Just speed-hobbled to catch a train and now can’t put weight on it at all. Rather puzzled to say the least.

mogrim

Final triathlon of the year yesterday, a half ironman in Castellón just north of Valencia – and fulfilling the image Brits have of Spain it was hot 🙁 It was almost certainly the flattest triathlon I’ve ever done, which probably explains the final time. But what a nightmare run! 4 laps of a 5km loop, at 30-35C with all the humidity you expect from a seaside run… a nightmare. The last couple of laps were particularly bad, as my right foot started to blister. Still, managed a sub 5 hour time, and despite the heat 1:38 for just under 20km is quite satisfying 🙂

Next stop, a mountain marathon in a month’s time. Best get training then…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Running Clubs?

Aye, I was put off running clubs by my bike clubs experience, but it’s nothing like it, full of brilliant humble people, no one gives a **** what trainers you have!

I enjoy running on my own, just me and my feet.

I then entered a couple of local events (QECP Marathon, Meon Valley 100 etc.) and found running with small groups quiet enjoyable. I had misgivings thinking the fittest would be chatting and expecting answers from the gasping.. but not so. The fitter more experienced tended to go out for a run and enjoy it, pace equally to the group and hold back more when the less experienced faltered. In a similar way to a cycling club I joined.. so not quite that different.. though I’ll agree to the kit you run in.. no-body really cares as long as it fits you and you’re not hanging out of it at inconvenient moments on the trail… which has to be said is a marked contrast the the cycling club – where it seemed the price ticket on your bibs or the latest Pro-Top was the thing to be seen in.. even if there were 5-6 others dressed in the same combos…

So then I joined a small eclectic trail running bunch who run specific courses with tailored “sessions” built into the run. Quite surprised myself initially, then unfortunately the hernia came and I had to hang up my runners for a while… but they still kept in touch during the off period and I’m happily back out with them, like I’ve never been away.

I once read, and have been quoted this “you never see a grumpy runner” I think that’s quite true. But I have witnessed plenty of grumpy cyclists.

But Clubs are all about a mindset, if you like the “pull” of running in a group they can be a great social pace whilst not feeling particularly well or suffering out on the trials, conversely I do still prefer running on my own. Maybe one day I’ll find a running buddy.. I doubt I’ll meet them whilst I’m out on my own… more likely meet someone whilst out with the small group.

turboferret

Nice one Mogrim – anything under 5 hours is solid in my book 🙂

mogrim

Cheers TF, nothing like as good as your results though!

Plans for this weekend? I’m volunteering at a local trail race, means getting up at 5am on Sunday to do the complete track, checking all the markers are in place before the race starts at 9:15. Can foresee a long siesta after lunch 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

This weekend I’ll be mainly cheering the sweetheart on at the Glasgow Half Marathon, hopefully I’ll get a long run in on saturday.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Well knee pain seems to have been cured by a bit of a lay off, tried a slow 20k, and a managed a 20ish min tempo 5k last night without any adverse effects. Will see what the weather’s like, might do a park run and hopefully a mountain run.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,281 through 3,320 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.