• This topic has 7,707 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 2 hours ago by mark88.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 7,708 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • marcus
    Free Member

Mogrim – Yeah that’s what I thought when I entered in June.
    Cheers ajf and ciron. Knowing a few people are watching your dot can help sometimes when the demons are trying to get in.

lunge

Never heard good things about waterproof running shoes – the water gets in anyway, and then you’re stuck with it. Not an issue when you’re cycling, but a pain when you’re running.

Couldn’t agree more, not a fan of them at all but some are, hence mentioning it.

simon_g

Adidas do good cheaper-end trail shoes, used to be called Kanadia, now looks to be “Galaxy Trail”. Under £40 at sports direct. I find them comfy enough for shorter road runs too.

nickc

Great to hear of all the folk taking up running, well done!! Training for the Manchester marathon at the moment, motivating myself to run the wet and dark is my biggest stumbling block. Funny how it’s fine once you’re out!

lunge

Training for the Manchester marathon at the moment

Waves, me too!
    Well, I say training, due to injury I’d not run since mid November, starting on the treadmill this week, did 1.5 miles yesterday and the injury didn’t flare up but need to ease up slowly. Not ideal, I was up to 15 miles at this point before my last one.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hope that side of the hill isn’t as boggy and mossy as the Knockendon side and has fewer hidden burns (the Dalry road is where we fly rockets from, just along from the dogging, erm picnic site).

Aye, it’s every bit as bad, but steeper!

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ll be at Manchester too. A month into training here, really enjoy this time of year with mileage ramping up and planning the tune-up races etc. Not quite so much fun by mid-Feb when I’ve had weeks of trudging up and down the road in rain and gales! But a treadmill and flexible hours is a huge help, I can nip out for a run between the showers or just have an evening jog in front of the telly.

will
    Free Member

Good idea for a thread!

First of all, a few bits for motivation:
    – Read “Feet in the Cloud” about the Bob Graham Round and the history of fell running.

– Watch https://www.inov-8.com/blog/run-forvever-film-nicky-spinks/ double bob film

– Watch: https://vimeo.com/247954077 Ramsey Round, Scottish 24hr round.

Anyway, I love fell running/big mountain running. There is something so simple about just running up a mountain! Although, at the time, you’re on your arse.

This year i’ll be doing loads more running, living in Scotland it’s not always possible to ride, and running is the obvious, and quick option.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Marcus’s Pennine Way looks awesome, no way I’d do it in winter but what a challenge. Really best of luck with that, I’ve you manage to write a report I’d be delighted to read it.

I’m in two minds joining the Strava Group.. I might… 😕

Some proper intermediate challenges by a lot of folks, this looks good and something to build on. Try not to do too much too soon and beware you will get some sort of injury at some point, then feel cheesed off about it.. but we all get niggles so just rest and keep mindful that the injury will heal and you’ll be back running soon enough..

Good thread.

Have we decided which thread to keep all this in one place yet ?

nickc

May as well keep this one going?

theotherjonv

bookmarking partly because I’m a few weeks back into running, and (whisper it) just getting to that point where it is no longer indescribably hard, although it hasn’t yet become easy* either, so i want to follow what’s being said, but also want to watch that Nicky Spinks film later.

* yeah yeah, never gets easier you just get faster. YKWIM, where you can go out for a run without worrying about whether you’ll pull something / die of exhaustion within 15 minutes.

PS – joined the Strava club, only just started recording my runs (one so far) and forgot to turn it off once back home – so I didn’t really do 8.5mins/km, more like 5.5/km and then 15 mins before i realised.

surfer
    Free Member

May have a go at a BGR later in the year…. There, I’ve said it!

And I suppose if we are setting targets, sub 17:00 for 5k and 36:30 for 10k. In my 54th year they should be achievable if I can stay injury free…

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Going to start running again this year after a good few years. I did get fairly serious about it a few years back and had entered The Wall ultra after a few other trail marathons and off-road events, but all the training got me down, did not find it fun forcing myself to go out. Then buggered my knee, struggled with running since.

Going to start again slowly, and sign up for some of the Dartmoor and Exmoor trail running events. Liking the look of the half marathon on Dartmoor in July.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cool for keeping this one “running” 8)

aracer
    Free Member

Impressive targets – about the speed I was running 15-20 years ago (though my 10k pb is 35:30). I suppose I probably could get back to that, but it would involve training harder than I can be bothered with.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

surfer » And I suppose if we are setting targets, sub 17:00 for 5k and 36:30 for 10k. In my 54th year they should be achievable if I can stay injury free…

Impressive times, cap doffed!.

My best time of a few years back was 47.47 for a 10k, But even though I was marathon training at the time, I was still pretty over the weight I should have been.

Setting myself the target of a sub 40 min 10k this year, should be achievable with the weight loss I’ve had and plan to continue…

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I can ride a bike for hours with no problems but every time I try running I end up injured.
    I’m currently planning on getting back into doing some running, albeit slowly, and building up to doing a local off road duathlon later this year. I’ve quite liked the look of it for a while but now I’ve got the time and space to run I’m hoping to see how I get on with training up to it.

grahamt1980

Sub 17 for 5k? I wish i could do that.
    My aim is to finally crack 20 mins. Been at 23 for a while but not been running consistently for a while.
    Biking and boarding have been getting in the way

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Since I started back last month, I’ve gone from well over 30 mins down to 25 for 5k, hoping to go sub 20 when the extra motivation of parkrun helps and I get a bit quicker.

aracer
    Free Member

That’s what tends to happen – especially if you have got good fitness from biking so it seems fairly easy to go out and run far/fast. As you’ve realised, the trick is start slowly – I’d suggest actually starting even slower than my injury recovery I’ve outlined above as I’ve got a lot of background in running so for me it’s just a case of avoiding overstressing some very specific things, the basic running ability should still be there (and I’ve got very good fundamental running form, which most beginner runners won’t have). As mentioned plenty of times, C25k isn’t a bad plan even for fairly fit people not used to running – if it all seems far too easy, then that’s fine.

breadcrumb

I usually go for a run, pick up an injury then knock it on the head for another year.

I’ll head out one morning but force myself to take it steady over a short difference. Not run 6 miles flat out.

stever
    Free Member

I’ve joined just so I can be top of the Leader Board. Come on now, someone else should have that – I’m rubbish 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Ran 15:47 for 5k and 32:22 for 10k in my younger days, injuries are the problem now 🙄

djglover
    Free Member

I have a BG round planned for early June with a mate. Will hopefully aim for a sub 20hour time.

Need to start some training soon as I have had an 18 month hiatus from running with one short comeback this autumn.

If my training is going well then I might have a stab at a sub 3:30 3 peaks.

ferrals
    Free Member

notmyrealname – Member

I can ride a bike for hours with no problems but every time I try running I end up injured.

Same, had weak achillies since I was a kid. This year my plan is to keep off the tarmac for a while until I’m used to it again. Plan to just do laps of the fields with the hope the soft ground will lessen the impact. Plus I’m only really running to build up the ability for cx so the more mud the better!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Sub-17 looks a long way off to me too. Sub-18 should be on the cards on a good day (and 38min for 10k). But I prefer, and am relatively a little stronger at, longer events. Don’t be fooled by slow parkrun times though, most of those courses are quite tough/slow, and a flat accurate 5k could easily be a minute or more quicker.

mogrim

I’ve joined just so I can be top of the Leader Board. Come on now, someone else should have that – I’m rubbish

Ner ner ner 😆

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Big change of focus for me this year, after a 100 miler, A Day in the Lakes Ultra and the odd marathon last year…. I’m going to try and qualify for “age group” at the OCR World Champs.

They are going being held just the other side of town to me in sunny Brentwood.

I’ve done ok previously without specific training, so its going to be all about 10k training, a fair bit of body weight training and actually learning some obstacle technique.

Oh and there’s the small thing of going back to American Football !!

Not much need for last years back to back marathon distance training runs for that. Although helmet and pads haven’t gone on yet, I may well realise my old body cant take it any longer and I’ll be back to ultras.

stever
    Free Member

Ner ner ner

Well that lasted well. I’m off 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

Ran 15:47 for 5k and 32:22 for 10k in my younger days, injuries are the problem now

I always wondered how fast you actually were! Your 10km PB looks quite a bit faster than the 5km. Was one on the track?

I seem to remember someone on here mentioning a 5km time in the low 15s, but I can’t remember who it was.

I’m hoping to run 15:59 for a road 5km in July. It’s a big (unrealistic?) goal; I’ve run a 16:21 Parkrun in 2014, but after tearing my achilles ~20 months ago the fastest I’ve been recently is 17:06 5km / 34:51 10km. I think a big part of it will be how disciplined I can be about losing some serious weight. I’m 65kg now and reckon if I could get close to 62 I’d be halfway to sub-16 already…

bookwyse
    Free Member

Started running in April with a beginners running course. Ended the year on 984 miles, 5 1/2 marathons, Beachy Head Marathon and a 50km Ultra on 17th December.

Have got both a 70km (Brecon to Cardiff in February) and then 100KM Race to the Stones in July booked as well as smaller events.

Will also be aiming to try and get a sub 3.30 marathon at some point this year as well!

moonsaballoon

Much like others a young family means a quick run is easier than a big ride , tend to be a bit inconsistent though as in the summer will tend to get early morning rides in .
    Had a good spell last year where I lost a bit of weight and got my park run down to 23:40 on the flat one an 24:12 on the hilly one and did the glasgow green morun in 51:12 . This year I would really like to do the glasgow half but I say that every year and end up sticking with 10kish length stuff , just need to get the entry in to force me to keep at it

surfer
    Free Member

@finbar

That 5k was on the track (plenty of short 5k courses around!!) Did run 15:49 on the road though (Croxteth park) The 10k was the Leeds Abbey dash I think, not sure of the year, between 93 and 96 probably. I also ran 14:58 to win a 3 mile race around the same time which is around 15:3? pace.
    Sub 37 at 53 would be nice….

Speed is everything Finbar, fast 400’s, short recovery stuff, best with a group. Who do you run for?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’ve recently returned to running. I’m hoping to break the 43min mark for 10k and go for the elusive sub 20 for a 5k. I’ve just joined the Strava group.

karn
    Free Member

Just joined the group – been running for about 18 months, but only seriously for the last year.
    finished my 1st 1/2 marathon in September in 1:53:42.
    goals this year-
    sub 20 5k
    1:45 1/2 marathon
    Olympic distance Triathlon (50min for the running section)
    getting the wifey to do C25K !

finbar
    Free Member

Surfer – Leeds Abbey Dash, of course! That’s definitely on my to-do list. I bet a 32-low time got you about 50th place or something in that race back then 😀 ?

I train with Sheffield Running Club. I’m not doing any speedwork yet – I’m still building up mileage and confidence in my recovering achilles – but I’ll take your advice on 400s as soon as I can. It’s interesting as I’ve not read much elsewhere to suggest that short intervals are that helpful for distance running… I guess the short recovery is what makes it relevant?

surfer
    Free Member

I used to do lots of track stuff when I lived in Liverpool with a great bunch of lads at Kirkby track (Liverpool Pembroke) The general standard was fantastic, lots of lads who had run (or went on to run) internationally and was a bit of a Mecca for visiting athletes so Tuesdays and Thursdays were epic sessions. I just hung on until my eye balls popped!! Moved away for a bit and trained more on my own. The out and out speed sessions are hard to do on your own but I did adapt the longer sessions which were more stamina based so often did 24×400 at around 75 second pace with around a 90 sec recovery.
    Plenty of nice places to run in Shefield a clubmate of mine Sammy Rashid works at the university there. Excellent O/50 runner.

finbar
    Free Member

Haha, I know Sammy from my time in the Shef Uni athletics club, and I see him at Parkrun every now and then. He seems to oscillate between running some quite average times and being mind-bendingly quick! Didn’t he get an England cap for vets cross country a few years ago?

Totally agree that having ludicrously quick people to train with try and hang onto is key.

surfer
    Free Member

He’s pretty handy, top bloke. Had some good battles with him, hopefully some in future….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

so often did 24×400 at around 75 second pace with around a 90 sec recovery.

I assume this is to develop speed?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 7,708 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.