• This topic has 7,709 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by temudgin.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,481 through 2,520 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Roight…my old shoes have finally had it. They’re in bits. They’re my second pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire. Currently, they’re on “15” – think mine were 11 or 12, not sure. Normally I’d just buy the number under the current for a decent discount but I’m struggling to find a pair in my size – so may have to go for the current iteration, which will leave me lighter by a hundred quid or so. I think they’re a neutral shoe – is there anything else I should be looking at?

I guess what I’m asking is – “Do I just play it safe, buy the shoes I’ve had before or do I roll the dice and try something else?” I’m loathe to go to a shop and be bullshitted at by a sales assistant who needs to push a certain brand or model – but maybe that’s me being cynical.

bob_summers

First fell race, DNS. Got as far as Coniston en route to Keswick and blew a tyre on the hire car. No spare, hole too big to seal, RAC coming at 15.30 (called them at 9.30). At least the view’s not bad, plenty worse places to be stuck for 6 hours.
    The DNS might be a blessing. Not sure if the foot pain isn’t something more serious (plantar fasciitis ) until a physio tells me otherwise. Would’ve been a bad idea to risk it.

lunge

I think they’re a neutral shoe – is there anything else I should be looking at?

I’m classic “recommended what you’ve got” style, have a look at ASICS Cumulus (not the 19, 18 of 20) or Nike Pegasus. The latter is in discount in certain colours at Nike online, and both are at a discount at Sports Direct. They’re both good, solid, neutral shoes, I prefer the Nike’s but the Cumulus is a perfectly good too.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m a big fan of the Pegasus (Pegasi?) after recommendations on here. I’ve not tried tons of shoes though.

MrSparkle

Unlucky Bob. Although it may have been a blessing in disguise given the heat. Also that race is definitely not one to do carrying an injury. Hope you are on the mend soon, fella.

Spin
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that Bob. It was bloody roasting. Lots of folk struggled in the heat.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Inov8s have been a bit of a revolution for me.. really love them for running technical terrain.

Also, nike have just dropped their new trail slappers on the website, wildhorse and terra kiger. Tempted.

Kuco

Gingerrunner does a review of the new Nike.

firestarter
    Free Member

Well ive been out for almost two weeks with a painful knee and its feeling much better now so on Thursday I’m gonna give the 3 peaks a bash, like you do lol wish me luck. Itll be my longest and toughest yet

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Id love to check out that review but that chopped up style of video is just completely brutal. I cant cope with more than 30 seconds of it..

Whats the verdict??

bob_summers

Cheers Spin & Mrsparkle, gutted to miss it (came over from Spain not quite especially for it, but timed it to work) but would’ve struggled to get round. Did 10k today over Kirkby Moor and running on spongy moss and heather was totally pain free, but landing my bad foot slightly twisted off-camber had me yelping out loud a couple of times. Pretty sure now it’s not PF , back to the physio next week to get the skinny.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Latest two science of ultra podcasts are really good.

Worth a listen. – recovery and running economy and how to monitor and plan /grow

Did my running economy test last night on the treadmill 1hour at 8.5m/km and had minimal hr drift.

Spin
    Free Member

Suffered badly on the Teenager on Saturday but clearly everyone else was suffering too as I came in 9th overall and 3rd vet40.

Delighted with that but the real highlight was the handshake from Joss Naylor at the prize giving!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Swoon!

Bought Joss book recently, most expensive book I’ve ever bought, but he’s a bit if a hero of mine!

Well done mate!.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sound’s good Terry, I’ll give that a listen.

bob_summers

Nice one Spin!

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers Bob and nobeer.

Better luck next time for you Bob. They’re both excellent races.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I spent the weekend in Bethesda in Snowdonia and bagged my longest run yet! I was a little apprehensive as a shorter run earlier in the week really agitated a knee niggle that I’ve had for a while. I thought that if I just take it easy and stretch every now and then it’d be alright and fortunately it was! Did just over 30km and 1,480 meters of ascent. The wife dropped me in the middle of the Ogwen Valley where I headed East and then back over the tops to the West of the valley back to the cottage that we were staying in. Absolutely stonking day out, still some patches of Snow up there and I managed to avoid the crowds with an early 7am start.

Im still pretty sore!

surfer
    Free Member

I would always choose Nike shoes. I now run mainly in Hokas but that is due to arthritis in my large toe joint. If not for that I would still choose Nike shoes and unlike all you young fellas I actually had the originals in the late 80’s. Ran in pretty much everything else in the meantime but love the company or not for me they make the best consistently good quality running shoes ever.

turboferret

Good advice but its difficult as sometimes you may have to make a decision for example to run harder to stay in a group and get the benefits later as oppose to running alone. Your energy levels will also vary slightly as well as your motivation. If you were in a competitive race then you simply have to go with surges and pace changes to be in the mix at the end but in a race such as London you are not realistically racing for a “high” position so I think consistency of effort is key.

I would normally agree with this, however on Sunday I might find myself in the position of actually doing some proper racing in London 🙂

Clapham parkrun PB on Saturday 15:35 I think is a reasonable indicator that I’ve got a bit of form at the moment. Nice easy week and then smash myself at the weekend! Bit disappointed that the lovely sunny weather is departing as I go well in the warm, but for most it should be pretty much perfect marathon weather.

flyingmonkeycorps

No running for me this weekend as I was up walking in the hills with the family. Planned on getting out today but ended up getting up at 5 and being late for work on baby duties, so I’ll not have time. If not tomorrow then I’ll definitely (probably) be out on Thursday.

Good work those who were out this weekend, that sounds like a cracking run @r8jimbob88! And good luck for Sunday @turboferret

bikebouy
    Free Member

Normal hacks for me, still bogging along 10k’s and avoided QECP because it was just going to be a “little” bit busy 🥴

Helping out at London this weekend for my mate Jonny the UltraBloke.. His warm up? Well he’s been running 🏃‍♀️ into Town from his home in Beaconsfield  🥴 And home again – 40miles 🤮 a mix of canal and minor roads, twice a week.

All the very best to all who venture onto the streets of London at the weekend. Hope all your nerves translate to energy 👍👍

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’ll smash it this weekend TF!

lunge

Really good weekends running, 7 miles Friday, 5 on Saturday and an 18 miler in the sun on Sunday. was meant to rest on Monday but the weather was to good so did another 6.5 then as well. The even better thing was that, as the weather has been dry recently, all the farm tracks and paths are dry, hard and great for running. Almost all the miles, bar a mile at the start and end, have been off road which has been great and has really helped stave off the monotony of the long run.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Saw quite a few of these on the trail at the weekend, basking in the sun. Bit more care required with footfall!

stever
    Free Member

Like an idiot I’ve entered a marathon next week – can you actually taper if you’re not really doing the mileage? 🙂

turboferret

Of course – it’s called an inverse taper 😀

Not always 100% effective!

You’ll be fine, just pace yourself and prepare to walk downstairs backwards for a few days afterwards

MrSparkle

Next bit of training for the JNC. A group of us are having a go at the Abraham’s Tea Round on Saturday.
    https://www.georgefisher.co.uk/news/2018-08-01-abrahams-tea-round-starupdatestar-july-2018/
    Needless to say, the weather forecast is sh*te. It’ll be nice to see a few new fells and hopefully have a good day on the hill with some friends with no time constraints.

firestarter
    Free Member

Well I ran the Yorkshire 3 peaks yesterday, I say run but it was a run and walk and a crawl at various points lol glad I did it but I wont be rushing back, my legs are in bits today the stairs are a real struggle

flyingmonkeycorps

Good job @firestarter, I’ve walked it a couple of times and that was hard enough. How long did it take you?

Has anyone noticed Nike Pegasus’ being a bit slippy in the wet? I went out for a lunchtime run today and felt a bit all over the place on the wet pavements, more so than I was in my old shoes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Maybe just due to a long dry spell? It’s not rained here in Ayrshire for a few weeks, always gets slippy first rain after that.

firestarter
    Free Member

Flying monkey strava said 5hrs 21 moving but watch said it was 6hrs 41 all in what with photos, eating, gates, refilling water, getting breath back route finding and map reading for a number of lost people. Pleased I did it but more training before the next attempt lol I also opted for the more scenic official challenge route rather than the fell race route as it’s a nicer route

flyingmonkeycorps

@firestarter that’s not bad at all, nice job.

@Nobeerinthefridge
    Yeah you’re probably right actually!

Spin
    Free Member

strava said 5hrs 21 moving but watch said it was 6hrs 41

Once you fall below a certain pace Strava interprets that as having stopped. I don’t know exactly what pace it is but it’s certainly pretty easy to fall to that walking up steep slopes like the climb up Ingleborough.

Great day out isn’t it? I did it a week or two ago with my wife who’d never done it before and she loved it too. We did have great weather though which helps!

firestarter
    Free Member

Yeah watch was buzzing a bit on the ingleborough climb, yeah it’s a great day out

doordonot
    Free Member

I’m doing the Stroud half marathon, which is in October. It’s a road event which I generally avoid because I find 13 miles of tarmac quite punishing. However, it’s to pace a friend who’s doing his first half. Its been a couple of years since I last ran a meaningful distance (marathons and ultras) so I’m winding down to more manageable dashes.

What other race/challenge recommendations are there for xc half marathons in June/July? Somewhere scenic would be nice. Something a bit different. I’ve not done a fell race so might have a go.

flyingmonkeycorps

That climb up Ingleborough is brutal at the best of times, I had to have a little sit down just walking up it.

MrSparkle

Was contemplating a trot round t’Peaks as part of my training but so far I’ve been able to get up to the Lakes every weekend so it’s a bit more relevant. It’s a good old route though. Good luck to anyone doing the race on Saturday.
    Regarding the Strava thing and elapsed time versus moving time – if you save it as Run type – ‘race’ you will get total elapsed time. Just in case you weren’t aware.

firestarter
    Free Member

Ah no I wasnt thanks

Spin
    Free Member

Good luck to anyone doing the race on Saturday.

I decided to skip it this year having done it the last 2. They call it a fell race but it’s really a trail race, you need to be a proper runner to do well not a hill plodder!

Viewing 40 posts - 2,481 through 2,520 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.