• This topic has 7,709 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by temudgin.
Viewing 40 posts - 7,001 through 7,040 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • lunge

Can anyone share their favourite intervals?
    I’m leading a track session tomorrow, mixed abilities so will be doing the intervals to time rather than distance. Ideally something simple as that’s what I am.
    We’ve normally done things like 4 mins on/3 mins off x 6 or 2 mins on/90 secs off x 10.

spawnofyorkshire

For something different I’ve done a kind of ladder interval session before. Recovery time between is up to you, but something like
    1 min
    2 min
    3 min
    4 min
    4 min
    3 min
    2 min
    1 min
    with rest in between

turboferret

I do absolutely zero gym or cross-training, but that doesn’t mean I would be a better runner if I did, just time constraints and probably laziness on my part prevents it.

I had an interesting session last week while on holiday staying on a farm.  One of the lads there turned out to be a keen runner, and asked me if I wanted to join him for a session one evening, which I was delighted to do, as I very rarely have any company for my runs, certainly not hard ones.  He said in advance that it was 10x1km @5:25/mile, which is about my marathon pace, so sounded good.  Starting the session it turned out to be alternating 1km @5:25 and 1km @ 6:45 x 10, so a total of 20km, at and average of 1:13 half marathon pace.  London marathon championship start qualification is 1:12:30 for a half for comparison.  Not something necessarily to take on lightly.

He started to fade on the 3rd and 4th rep, so we cut it short to just half the planned session, which was enough for me!

The session above is called up and down the clock at my club, and is a solid one.  Going by time everyone starts and finishes at the same time, so the slower ones still get the same recovery period.

surfer
    Free Member

I do absolutely zero gym or cross-training

Me neither. I think if you have time you should do another running session personally.

I do a similar session every week. This week:

w/up about 15 mins
    3 min Tempo, around 20 seconds slower per mile than my 5k pace
    1 min recovery
    The below 6 times
    2 min at 5k race pace
    2 min recovery
    15 min w/down

I also try to add a session in at some point of sprints. say 10 x 150m accelerating to full speed, this can be tagged on to the end of a 4-5 mile run and as I get older (im 57) I find my basic speed (I ran 25 secs dead for 200 and sub 54 for 400m when I was much younger) is disappearing.

Rest of my week is steady running with a longer run on Sundays to make up about 35-40 per week.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I don’t do gym work I’m sure but proper runners usually do.

I do a bit of plyo (basically sets of hopping along) which I believe helps a bit. On a flattish bit of road after I’ve set off on a steady run, I do x hops per foot, y times each side as a set. Jog for a minute or so, and repeat z times. Up to maybe 60-80 per foot in total. It’s not intended as a big workout or anything, just a bit of strengthening of the achilles etc and hopefully put a bit more bounce in my stride (or, more realistically these days, slow the inevitable decline).

If I did a lot of hilly races I’d do hill intervals, but I don’t, so I don’t.

thecaptain
    Free Member

My club generally does (did) a mix of 1-3 min intervals, adding up to 18 in total. Chase-backs are a good way to keep people together, at the end of a rep you stop where you are and do the next one in the reverse direction, ideally finishing together at the start line if you pace it well. Needs a suitable location where all can be seen and heard.

mogrim

Ladder is a good workout.

Other suggestions:

200m in a minute. The longer you take, the less rest you get. Repeat 8 times.

2×4 min / 4x2min / 8x1min (or similar).

spawnofyorkshire

I don’t do gym work at the moment, but do go indoor bouldering regularly. Seems to do a good job. Doing it properly you’re building a lot of leg and core strength

Bazz

Hi all, I’m on the look out for a cheap pair of trainers for use on the treadmill, will only get used 3-4 times a week for a maximum of 30km and strictly on the treadmill, would usually just go for something from Decathlon as there gear seems to suit me quite well but thought i’d see if anyone had seen any bargains around, budget of around £40.

Thanks.

lunge

@Bazz, Reebok Floatride Energy aren’t much more than that and there’s some good discount codes available too. Really good shoe.

Bazz

@Lunge thanks for the reply, had a search and can’t find those shoes any where close to budget, however it got me looking in other places, do you know of the Reebok Energen lite shoes, would they be in the same vein do you think?

lunge

@buzz, my mistake, they’ve definitely been cheaper than that, though £60 (size dependent) with a 25% discount code (just Google it) isn’t far off £40.

Not used any other Reebok shoes so not sure I can advise on other models.

Have you got a Nike Outlet anywhere near you? I picked up some Pegasus 36’s for £33 last time I visited one, worth a visit if there’s one close.

Bazz

cheers, will look into those options.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Just wanted to pop in to say thanks for the Bob Graham Sounds podcast suggestion. Am on episode 5 now.
    What a charming series it is.

In return, can I recommend Adharanand Finn; The Way of the Runner podcast. Great writer with the most lovely calm voice.

peaslaker
    Free Member

Wife has just signed us both up to a trail halfie in November and printed out a 12 week programme. I’m starting from a pretty poor base but I’m genetically annoyingly good at getting fit (qs long as I don’t get injured) and I’m bloody minded.

Mo – Rest
    Tu – Easy run
    We – Half marathon race pace
    Th – Strength
    Fr – Easy run
    Sa – Intervals
    Su – Long run

I’m currently on the first Wednesday so busted out a quick (for me) 5k at a 4:30 pace. So will that be my halfie pace come race day? Feels like a stretch

lunge

@peaslaker, first thought is that that’s a lot of volume for someone who doesn’t run much.
    In principe it’s not a bad plan but I’d want at least 1, if not 2 more rest days to be safe.

peaslaker
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback @lunge. I’ve been very patchy this year; I’ve had two clumps of running significantly with big gaps in between (injury, distraction). I like running the half marathon distance (on trails usually) and have racked up 15 runs >15km this year but next to nothing in the last month and a half. Honestly I was very surprised to do that 5k this evening at that pace.

The volume I think is manageable and is actually more conservative than I’d run left to my own urges. I’m intrigued to see if I stick to the plan and whether the plan delivers any meaningful improvement. The November event will be a proper hilly trail, so pace will be an unimportant measure but I’d like to feel I arrived on the start line trained rather than winging it (for a change).

cat69uk
    Free Member

Heads up OCC at UTMB is on live now on Youtube. Amazing how quick they cover the ground, so good to watch.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Main race starts at 5pm UK time on YouTube. Time to feel inadequate !

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m looking for a 6 month marathon training programme for c.3hr 45mins.

If there’s a programme which is well regarded I’m happy to pay. I have a garmin watch which I can load training profiles onto.

I would much much prefer not to have a programme which is exclusively stated in miles and which I’ll then have to convert. I’m a km person through and through.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

mogrim

@lunge check this out, you might need to get a new mortgage though given your collection 🙂

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/31/23330865/lg-styler-shoecase-shoecare-sneaker-shelf-cleaner-ifa

@crimsondynamo
    last time I actually trained properly for a marathon I just downloaded one from somewhere or other – I think consistency is far more important that the details of any given plan, as far as I can tell all the free ones are basically the same.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I use a plan from an old copy of the Jack Daniels book, there are newer versions. 18 weeks with a potential extension to 24 which could fit well. But as mogrim said above, there’s any amount of stuff available on-line and it’s not rocket science. Build up gradually if you haven’t run that much before.

lunge

@mogrim, that’d definitely secure the divorce, though there’s every chance the £300 pair of Jordan’s that I just got hold of will do that too…

spawnofyorkshire

@crimsondynamo Look on the garmin connect app or on the website for one of their plans https://connect.garmin.com/modern/training-plan?type=Running
    It plugs straight into your watch and you can set your plan around either plain distance or heart rate based training.
    I used it for a few weeks when getting back into running, seemed fine and you can juggle stuff about in the schedule manager and it will adjust accordingly

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Great thanks guys.

I do a couple of half marathons a year but take a laissez-faire approach. I have only done one full marathon which was 2006, so I know it’s a big step up. My 2006 training strictly followed a Runners World programme (since lost), which was great for building confidence that I’d prepared as well as I could.

I’ll go with the Garmin programme given that it’ll talk to my watch.

lunge

Sound the PB claxon.
    Had a very pleasant morning at the Midlands Counties 10k road race yesterday in Derbyshire. Lovely, flat course, lots of fast people to chase and bagged a 37:33 PB. Top 20 in my age group as well so very pleased indeed.
    Feel very stiff this morning mind you.
    Might celebrate by buying some new shoes. Adidas adizero Pro 2’s for £120. Hmmm…

mogrim

Congrats on the PB @lunge, that’s a decent time! You definitely deserve new shoes, whether you actually need them or not is a different matter 😀

I did a slightly unplanned 53km ultra on Friday night: we’d sort of been chatting about it on a WhatsApp group, but I’d completely forgotten about it until they reminded me on Friday morning… whoops. Didn’t have anything particular planned for that evening which was fortunate. It was the first decent long run I’ve done since doing the 100miler at the beginning of July, and I was quite pleased at how I felt at the end of it – tired but not completely shattered.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Good effort @lunge. I’m a way off my best after a leisurely summer but will be starting to ramp up in October. I’ve got a flat 10k at the end of Sept as a benchmark (Lancaster).

sportsshoes.com was selling the nike magic shoes cheap recently. I bagged a pair.

spawnofyorkshire

@lunge – congrats on the PB!!

We live in very different running worlds @mogrim! I love that you can just bang out an impromptu 53km on a Friday night. I was busy getting sloshed and having a curry on Friday

I dragged myself out for an interval session round the park yesterday which I enjoyed even though it was incredibly humid and claggy! This was the first time properly doing HR zone intervals and it worked nicely for me. Felt like I’d worked hard but I wasn’t completely broken at the end of it.
    I’ve been out on the XC bike a bit more recently and enjoying it, feels more like a trail run than when i drag out the heavy enduro bike. I’ve got it in my head that I want to do another ultramarathon next year, but also get an MTB marathon under my belt too.
    My own personal achievement is that I’ve now lost 10kg in weight, down to 92kg, and another 7kg to go till I’m back to my pre-master’s degree weigh-in (I stress ate my way through 2.5 years of an MBA!!!)

stevextc
    Free Member

sportsshoes.com was selling the nike magic shoes cheap recently. I bagged a pair.

So what’s the cheapest I could get something for casual running (road/fields) that isn’t going to wreck my bad knee? (torn meniscus)

I stress casual as I’m just doing it to accompany my lad who started doing a morning run and I have no intention of doing anything more serious as it’s just not worth wrecking my knee and not being able to ride (again).

We did something like 10k this morning and I just wore my 5 tens as I don’t have anything else…

If he starts doing anything beyond a casual 10k before/after school I’ll just buck out or take a bike but he’s as likely to just give up in a few weeks.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Is there a way to maintain marathon /ultra fitness or at least 75-50%?

I’ve done a few over the summer and whilst I don’t want to be following an intense 16 week plan, I think it’d be a shame to lose the running efficiency I’ve built up.

I was thinking of one more ultra in November then keep ticking over winter. Is it an autumn recovery mesocycle i need to read up on?,

lunge

@stevextc, 3 suggestions.
    Nike Pegasus Trail 4, £80 ish, but are an almost perfect shoe for what you describe.
    Reebok Floatride Energy 4, £75 at retail but loads of discount codes flying around that’ll take 20 or 30% off that price. They’re a really nice, no frills, cushioned shoe.
    Nike React Miler 3, £64 for a solid cushioned shoe.
    You can clearly spend less than that but the above are all “proper” running shoes that’ll do the job and not mess up your joints.

lunge

Is there a way to maintain marathon /ultra fitness or at least 75-50%?

@mrsheen

I think so.
    Drop your mileage a touch but make sure you keep one quicker run and one longer run in per week. Marathon training, depending on the person, if often 50+ miles and 6 days per week. Drop down to 35 or 40 mile, 4 days per week and you’d be fine I reckon.

thecaptain
    Free Member

@stevextc, I mostly get whatever is cheap on sale. As long as it’s a running shoe, there’s no real reason to go spendy. sportsshoes has stuff from about 35 quid up that looks ok to me.

As for @mrsheen’s question about keeping up fitness…..well at the 50% level it’s easy enough, just do a bit of jogging and other exercise. Depending what you mean by 50% of course, my current race pace is certainly more than 50% of my peak ability but that’s hardly a challenge 🙂

All summer I’ve been cycling quite a lot and jogging a little, I’ve knocked out a couple of 10ks that are around 2-3 mins off what I could do at best. Which is pretty pedestrian but I’ll be ready to train properly by late autumn.

I don’t think you really lose running efficiency with time off, the speed has always come back quickly for me when I’ve re-started training. However now I’m well over 50 I anticipate this might get more challenging.

stevextc
    Free Member

lunge

stevextc, 3 suggestions.
    Nike Pegasus Trail 4, £80 ish, but are an almost perfect shoe for what you describe.
    Reebok Floatride Energy 4, £75 at retail but loads of discount codes flying around that’ll take 20 or 30% off that price. They’re a really nice, no frills, cushioned shoe.
    Nike React Miler 3, £64 for a solid cushioned shoe.
    You can clearly spend less than that but the above are all “proper” running shoes that’ll do the job and not mess up your joints.

Cheers, exactly the sort of answer I needed. I’ll start looking 🙂
    I’m not motivated enough to research (probably because I know I’ll never be able to do it “properly” again) so it’s more of a motivational thing for the kid if I go along (I can see him slipping now its getting wetter and darker)

I was quite surprised by the results on me… a very flat, slow 6mi/10km in terrible shoes and my knee is fine but really felt it on my quads and calves next day (unless that was delay from the Enduro I did Sunday??)
    CV I didn’t really feel anything (we were going really slow) but I was really quite pleasantly surprised with the knee

lunge

I was quite surprised by the results on me… a very flat, slow 6mi/10km in terrible shoes and my knee is fine but really felt it on my quads and calves next day (unless that was delay from the Enduro I did Sunday??)
    CV I didn’t really feel anything (we were going really slow) but I was really quite pleasantly surprised with the knee

Textbook “cyclist goes running” reaction. People normally worry about their joints when running, but anyone new to running will almost certainly have more muscular issues, calf’s particularly can react badly. A bit of stretching after the run (not before) will work wonders.

stevextc
    Free Member

thecaptain

I don’t think you really lose running efficiency with time off, the speed has always come back quickly for me when I’ve re-started training. However now I’m well over 50 I anticipate this might get more challenging.

It’s strange you brought that up as I was feeling that and saying the same to the kid.
    I’m not anywhere close to the country that the ballpark is on to what I would be doing at 18… that would doubtless kill me.. in terms of fitness but I felt I was putting in 1/2 the effort he was without thinking.

TBH I had not expected that at all as he won the school year 1600m by a long way ???

I mostly get whatever is cheap on sale. As long as it’s a running shoe, there’s no real reason to go spendy. sportsshoes has stuff from about 35 quid up that looks ok to me.

I’m wary as this time last year I was off the bike a lot with my knee. I’m not rolling in it so cost is important but not at the risk of my knee. I’m not going to be going far or fast… and I’d love to hit some trails (my childhood was fell running) but I know my knee won’t take that so I’m pre-banning myself of even going over to Peaslake…

I’m dependent on MTB for quite a lot (extended physical** and metal health) and it was quite a difficult time not being able to ride.

**I’ve got auto-immune/joint issues that almost disappear with cycling but reappear really quickly – that then leads into a catch-22 spiral if I’m not careful .. which then affects mental health which…

stevextc
    Free Member

Lunge

Textbook “cyclist goes running” reaction. People normally worry about their joints when running, but anyone new to running will almost certainly have more muscular issues, calf’s particularly can react badly. A bit of stretching after the run (not before) will work wonders.

Yeah… I didn’t feel anything during the run itself.. (which was actually really good news) but yep a bit of stretching would have been wise!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Stretching may help a bit but it’s hard to get round the problem of DOMS when a cyclist starts off running. Short easy runs (really short, really easy) with a gradual build is your best bet. If you’re only going to run once a week it may be challenging…2 or 3 times should work much better.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Besides the ASICS outlet and sportshoes.com, where else should I be looking for a bargain pair of trainers?

Only running 20-30km a week max, so not looking to spend £100+

Always had ASICS outlet shoes but the two pairs that arrived today don’t quite seem to fit as well as previous pairs.

Viewing 40 posts - 7,001 through 7,040 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.