Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 247 total)
  • The rise of rudeness on this forum ?
  • rOcKeTdOg

Secret squirrel has hit the nail on the head for me
    +1 etc

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Hope I haven't tempted fate … just posted a simple tecchie question 😕

(IOW, what's simple for others isn't necessarily so simple for me!)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Also agree with the Squirrel.

Cougar

Do you remember when the internet started? Everyone was nice to each other

I do, and I can very much vouch for the fact that this wasn't the case. (-:

hora
    Free Member

Can we all stop liberal breast-beating and hand-wringing now? 🙂

pk-ripper
    Free Member

blimey, that was a load of right-on, back slapping, my idea of the internet is better than your idea of the internet.

Here's a picture of a dog dressed as Yoda.

ps. hora smells.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmmm a dog that dresses like me it be.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog

jahwomble
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Right.

The only time I get really really annoyed is when I try and contribute something valid and someone tells me I'm an idiot and I've been easily led by some nonsense. That really winds me up, since my personal life is largely taken up by an impassioned search for knowledge, truth and understanding…

So that's basically TJ. I think he's a decent enough bloke, but he just refuses point blank to accept anything I say if I disagree with him, because he seems to think I'm genuinely stupid.

And when I point out that he is just not quite as well informed as some other people, he goes quiet and then comes back a few months later to do the same damn thing.

Do say:

"Well that's an interesting idea, that's not how I understood it – perhaps you could clarify and maybe we can both learn something"

Don't say:

"You're an imbecile!"

I did threaten to punch him, but I was in no way ever going to do this clearly. And he knew it too. It was just catharsis 🙂

nickc

I like very much the dog dressed as Yoda. It's as if it knows it looks stupid, and is internalising the whole degrading episode.

It makes me laugh.

BigDummy
    Free Member

my personal life is largely taken up by an impassioned search for knowledge, truth and understanding

This is almost Poddy-esque in its grandeur. I approve.

🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

my personal life is largely taken up by an impassioned search for knowledge, truth and understanding

judging by the evidence with mixed results :o)

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Do you remember when the internet started? Everyone was nice to each other

I do, and I can very much vouch for the fact that this wasn't the case. (-:

So you started all the beef! You fiend

What a beautiful time when it was all "wow you're on the other side of the world!!!" "yeah I can't beleive this internet thing it's amazing!"

Novelty only satisfies for so long. Now I'm so jaded I don't even care about insulting some tool in korea, who I'll never meet, over the finer details of a phone I may never even buy. What's…. happened to me ma?! 😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

Top [jokey]put down SFB see that is what stw is good at humorous intelligent banter

molgrips
    Free Member

judging by the evidence with mixed results :o)

I said the search, not the discovery 🙂

EDIT: it was a pretty obvious set-up, junky 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Now, now….

devs
    Free Member

LOL at the crab poster.
    I like the way people think that this forum is bad, it's not, it's really quite civilised. You should have been on Usenet in its heyday. There were court battles that affect the way that all of us use the internet now and there was also a Usenet murder. Unfortunately the geeky nature of the media and the cost to ISPs have all but killed it. Shame, because it was far faster, more user friendly and reliable than web forums. The unmoderated language would have had a few here running off to mum though.

The internet is used mainly by IT bods. These are traditionally quite geeky, picky types that aren't known for their atheleticism or physical assertiveness

This delicate little IT bod shall have to get rid of all his rugby and skiing trophies to fit in then! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I did threaten to punch him, but I was in no way ever going to do this clearly. And he knew it too. It was just catharsis

accepted

Thing is Molgrips – everything you say there about me equally applies to you from my point of view

,……… but he just refuses point blank to accept anything I say if I disagree with him, because he seems to think I'm genuinely stupid.

And when I point out that he is just not quite as well informed as some other people, he goes quiet……..

However – you rarely get personally offensive as some do on here despite what I admit was provocation from me. I am sure I am right but I could have been more diplomatic.

I'll not debate diet with you anymore as it is simply pointless.

yossarian
    Free Member

The internet is used mainly by IT bods. These are traditionally quite geeky, picky types that aren't known for their atheleticism or physical assertiveness

i love this quote, if you are looking for the answer then its not far away from here 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Thing is Molgrips – everything you say there about me equally applies to you from my point of view

No, not at all – not in the case of diet. You've not tried to explain why you're right and I'm wrong, have you? I have offered the reasoning behind my point of view, but you haven't for yours.

All you say is 'that's so much drivel I can't even begin to start so I won't bother' when really it's textbook stuff, a lot of which came from my coach. Ie not pulled out of thin air.

So you see why I get annoyed?

molgrips
    Free Member

a) it's not mainly used by IT bods and
    b) it's a sport forum, so lots of fit active outdoor types on here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips – I have studied human physiology at university to a reasonably high level.

foxyrider
    Free Member

This is turning into a very refreshing read – got me gripped 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

molgrips 10/1

tj 13/2

LHS
    Free Member

'that's so much drivel I can't even begin to start so I won't bother'

A common thing from TJ unfortunately. But that illustrates what has already been said.

Imagine how boring the world would be if we all had the same opinion?!

Molgrips – I have studied human physiology at university to a reasonably high level

Well you either got a degree in a subject or you didn't!?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm now confused. Which is better; studying human physiology at university to a reasonably high level, or spending one's life engaged in an impassioned search for knowledge, truth and understanding?

🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

yep. its the attitude in the quotes that causes the problems (if they really exist). As in everyday life its the people with preconceptions of themselves and others that cause disharmony, particularly on the internet, where their limited ability at non-verbal communication is tested to self-destruction.

fun though

EDIT: my money is on TJ if only for his staying power. Molgrips will eventually have to go to bed and TJ will claim victory 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

non-verbal communication is tested to self-destruction.

fun though

an education one might say…

hilldodger
    Free Member

I have studied human physiology at university to a reasonably high level

But how long ago, there's been a lot of developments in human biosciences in the last 20 years and they're not all on Wiki……

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – I have studied human physiology at university to a reasonably high level.

Back on the other thread then – I want you to explain the subject.

See (back on topic) the issue is not that I want to be proved right – I don't care, the facts are as they are and I want to know them.

What I take exception to though is you telling me I'm an idiot. That's not fair and it's very insulting. If I'm wrong and you really know why, then set me straight – it should be easy, shouldn't it?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

1) Yes it is – check any work related thread.

2) So you think football forums are frequented by good players? Do you think surf forums are used mainly by top surfers? The internet is where people can be what they want to be. Believe me, your average bike forum user isn't a DH monster or an XC whippet. They are a little overweight, don't have time to ride much and (ahem) can't even bunnyhop 😉 There are some good riders about but generally the really good ones don't feel the need to pile into every thread bleating and moaning on and on.

crikey
    Free Member

So….
    You're now arguing about the way you should argue?

molgrips
    Free Member

Re 2) I didn't say we were all experts, I simply said there are a lot of outdoor active people on here. Which is true.

foxyrider
    Free Member

3. People on STW who post or answer posts like to help people and contribute or just want to learn what others have through trial and error. And do ride quite a lot, are not fat and also enjoy biking

Sorry bit of a sweeping statement there Surf-Mat and not all of us work in IT 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

I have nothing to add, so here's a picture of a sausage dressed as a bee dog instead.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

I'm not feeling the lourve….. I thought we were all going to play nice ? We should just agree to disagree and then lets all go riding together. I'm up for it.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Blimey thats a HUGE image 🙁 Still downloading 🙁

Edit: Funny 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry bit of a sweeping statement there Surf-Mat and not all of us work in IT

I did try pointing that out earlier. As a result I now have a job in IT, am overweight and am "amusing".

My new imaginary life sucks.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 247 total)

The topic ‘The rise of rudeness on this forum ?’ is closed to new replies.