Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 247 total)
  • The rise of rudeness on this forum ?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

They say that (some high percentage) of communication is non-verbal. So when you get discussions on the Internet you lose the body language, the cheeky grin or knowing wink, and people react badly to things that are meant in jest or are simply misunderstood. It's often very difficult to put yourself across in writing, some people aren't that good at it and you don't get the chance to interrupt and get told "well, no, of course I didn't mean that" that would be an integral part of a face-to-face debate.

So instead, people get snippy or angry about the most mundane things. But I don't think that it's a particular feature of STW, it's endemic across the Internet.

Absolutely true. An example on this thread

brakes
    Free Member

I thought trolling meant pretending to opinions one didn't hold ?

you can't help yourself can you? 😀

fizzer
    Free Member

It's only a bike forum after all, why take it so seriously?

All the people I have had the good fortune to meet from STW have been pretty sound folk 😀

tazzymtb

been pretty sound folk

fixed that for you!

no one (myself included)from STW is pretty. Cyclists road/track/atb are all ugly feckers with a dreadful dress sense (lycra 3/4's with baggies FFS!) and if the majority of the STW forumites I've met are anything to go by mostly broad of beam heavy treaders as well. 😆

Mark

it's an internet forum about bikes and sh*t

anyone who gets angry or upset about a post needs to get out and interact with the real world a bit more.

No. It's words in the public domain. Publishing them requires the same concern, respect and consideration as any other means of publication. After all, we don't generally say, "it's only a newspaper.. Tv programme.. Or whatever". Saying it's only a forum othe Internet is just a rubbish excuse to try and get away with saying anything you like, no matter how insulting. You type it, say it, broadcast it or whatever and people will quite naturally react to it with whatever emotion they feel. You don't get a pass just because it's on the Internet.

RustySpanner

tazzymtb – Member

been pretty sound folk

fixed that for you!

no one (myself included)from STW is pretty. Cyclists road/track/atb are all ugly feckers with a dreadful dress sense (lycra 3/4's with baggies FFS!) and if the majority of the STW forumites I've met are anything to go by mostly broad of beam heavy treaders as well.

Puts down pie, lifts up hand.

In all honesty, I quite like the forum the way it is – including most of the attention whores 😀 Can you really imagine a list of the most prolific posters? The competition to get to number 1 would be fierce, but unremittingly dull.

Still think I might be onto something regarding the limited posting opportunities though.

Everyone I've met from here has been very pleasant in real life and I'm sure that would apply to the vast majority.

chakaping
    Free Member

The "really nice in real life" thing sounds like the sort of thing we hear after somebody has been on a killing spree.

Not saying anyone from here is dangerously psychotic of course (because they might put me on their list).

MrSmith
    Free Member

No. It's words in the public domain. Publishing them requires the same concern, respect and consideration as any other means of publication. After all, we don't generally say, "it's only a newspaper.. Tv programme.. Or whatever". Saying it's only a forum othe Internet is just a rubbish excuse to try and get away with saying anything you like, no matter how insulting. You type it, say it, broadcast it or whatever and people will quite naturally react to it with whatever emotion they feel. You don't get a pass just because it's on the Internet.

i wasn't trying to excuse voicing opinions that are only there to inflame but rather people letting themselves be annoyed by what people they don't know post on an internet forum.
    same goes for the mainstream media (tv newspapers) anyone who thinks what's reported/written is the absolute truth or the whole story is deluded. getting worked up about a bit of lazy 'journalism' is pointless.
    "concern" "respect" and "consideration" are hardly at the forefront of the media. they come a long way behind profit and sensationalism.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh and Spoony: Mark Datz was a wind-up – and he was funny not rude.

soobalias
    Free Member

if there are not a handfull of bans arising from the armed forces day thread, i for one shall vote with my feet. Im disgusted.

about to read some of "Oh Dear" similarly locked…..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

*Adds chapaking to list*

highclimber
    Free Member

I can spot a Norwegian Bridge dweller from a mile away so I know when there's no need to get upset over their comments.

soobalias
    Free Member

well that really is the shocker for the day, padded-**** gets yet another ban.

:yawn:

MrNutt
    Free Member

I cannot stand all this intolerance.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

padded**** Que? Obi twa was smee. Who was fred masquerading as now?

loulouk
    Free Member

This forum has taught me two things. One, the majority of mountain bikers are so lovely. Really. They'll help and advise people they've never met on all kinds of random subjects, send route maps through the post and patiently explain the mechanics of metabolism for anyone who asks. That's awesome.
    The other thing I've learnt is the definition of the word troll. And that people with psychiatric disorders/problems are disgusting and not worth bothering with *shrugs* I knew some people thought that anyway. Que cera. The latter will never remove the happiness at finding the former, to be honest.

GavinB

So, is there any reason for people on this particular forum to be so touchy and rude? Or is it the people who mountain bike, as opposed to any other sport/pastime.

I've very rarely seen an argument develop on skiing or clmbing/mountaineering forums as they do on here, for such incredibly trivial things.

I know for a fact that many of my friends look on here from time to time, but never post as they are scared of being 'flamed' by some desk-bound forum-warrior. That cannot be a good thing, yet looking at many of the posts above it would seem that most of the 'prolific' STW posters deliberately come on here for an argument! Why not come on here to either ask for advice or help someone out? Would that not be a more positive 'ethos' for a forum?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Still, this one's going quite well so far…

Let's hope no-one comes along anytime soon with the idea that sixty years after a supermassive black hole of grief that's still bleeding into the world, it's O.K. to say the sickness is funny.

ton

i think in general that the forum is good.
    i have met and ridden with loads off here,and never had a bad word/feeling about any of them (even barnes) 😆

some people do come on here just to wind people up…(i have done so in the past)
    i now tend to not read posts put up by these people, and i think people will do the same about my post's.

it takes all sort's……… 8)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"And that people with psychiatric disorders/problems are disgusting and not worth bothering with "

hmm

jahwomble
    Free Member

"People with psychiatric disorders/problems are disgusting and not worth bothering with"

Well….. I've just finished taking my anti-depressants,anti-psychotics and mood stabilisers for the evening, so i'm gonna assume that that sounded better in your head than it looks on the page:)

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont mind a humorous insult – and you forget banter between people on here has built up over time so it is said between mates.
    Dont mind having what I have said insulted or my reasoning but some people just call you a names which I find pointless.
    Occasionally I respond after enough baiting

mickasaki
    Free Member

As well as the arguments etc, the thing that i find anoying is the people that insist on trying to put down people, who may not be particualy accademic. This forum is for people from all walks of life, some are bright/clever, but some may not be (me?) Is it the end of the world if someone makes a spelling mistake / poor gramma on the forum? i dont think so, and would certainly not try to discredit someone for it. They may be bad spellers but they may be a genius in their own life!
    On a brighter note, there are some genuinly funny members on here, that i enjoy their comments, and hope that if i ever do meet them they are as entertaining in real life.

ton

Dont mind having what I have said insulted or my reasoning but some people just call you a names which I find pointless.

evening shortar5e………. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

ton

manc……………… 😯

Cougar

I've always worked to the theory that if the best comeback you can muster is to attack someone's spelling, you've already lost the argument.

loulouk
    Free Member

Buzzlightyear/Jahwomble -> someone else informed me of this in a discussion about losing weight. It's not my view, it's someone elses here. I meant I knew people thought that, and you know, they can think what they like.
    Yours, a fat person who's taken more pills than she'd like to admit to in an attempt to cheer the hell up. And for whom biking is anti-depressant in a non chemical form. Sorry guys, that was an appalling way of expressing things.

jahwomble
    Free Member

S'ok, I assumed it had just come out wrong 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

OK no worries.

highclimber
    Free Member

I've always worked to the theory that if the best comeback you can muster is to attack someone's spelling, you've already lost the argument.

totally true. I try ot mkae my potss as spulling mistak free as pssoblie btu tehre aer poelpe woh cna't splel btu I woludn't atatkc tehm beacues of it!

ton

loulou, feel the warmth…………. 8)

Cougar

Lou was saying "that's what some people seem to think" – not her opinion!

Cougar

Spelling / grammar – some people are dysexic, don't have English as a first language, or downright can't spell. That doesn't necessarily make their points any less valid.

That said, I'm a proper grammar nazi when it comes to things like "professionally" printed signs and such, there's just no excuse. And I've little time for people who intentionally speak like 'tards.

jahwomble
    Free Member

We've already made up 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And that people with psychiatric disorders/problems are disgusting and not worth bothering with

I think people can be unpleasant without being mentally ill, and this comment is prejudicial to those with real mental health problems 🙁

wonnyj
    Free Member

I've been on this forum for 7+ years and it's a better place for having more people even if I do miss kluster's uberleftfield comments…

crappy comments don't deserve a response imho

kaersae is a genius and made me laugh

jedi

no-one ever beats theprawn for trolling etc… forum legend. the rest just try too hard 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

My observations.

1. There are several who seem to spend almost every waking hour on the site
    2. Their knowledge is vast……..or is Wiki their friend 😉
    3. Spelling really isn't important
    4. Those who spout loudest about bullying are actually the worst offenders
    5. Not everyone on STW votes labour
    6. Some people take themselves waaaaay too seriously (see posts 4 & 5)
    7. Most only care about their own viewpoint and don't bother reading threads properly
    (so you are all @rseholes! See no-one noticed)
    8. The Scots are easy to wind up (testing no.7)
    9. The vast majority are genuine helpful people who really enjoy their bike(s)
    10. Classifieds etiquette appears to have gone by the wayside. Does it really take that much to let someone know if you've changed your mind etc. ?
    11. Thank god Ro has gone.
    12. If the site didn't exist I would probably ride more/get more done but on the other hand, 3 of my bikes and parts have come directly from here.

So, on balance it's a damn fine source of knowledge and amusement

loulouk
    Free Member

I think people can be unpleasant without being mentally ill, and this comment is prejudicial to those with real mental health problems

Where did I say it was unpleasantness which had led to that comment?
    I think people can be unpleasant because they are unpleasant people. What you may consider to be unpleasant is not what I would consider to be. Again, c'est la vie. FWIW 2/10 for the troll. Pathetic attempt.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 247 total)

The topic ‘The rise of rudeness on this forum ?’ is closed to new replies.