• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The Ramsbottom Rake Hillclimb, this Sunday (13th October) 12 noon kick-off
  • binners

Afternoon all

Just a reminder to the resident Lancashire and Manchester-based lot that the annual suffer-fest that is the Rake Hillclimb, organised by the good chaps and chapesses of Lancs Road Club is on this Sunday. First rider off is at 12 noon.

If you’ve not ridden up the Rake, then give thanks. It’s horrible! But that doesn’t stop nutters from all over the country coming to beast themselves up it. Lunatics. DazH of this parish did it last year and in traditional fashion, I handed him a pint as he crossed the finish line

It was on the telly featured as I think what they title a ‘****ing horrible climb’ on the tour of Britain when they made them ride up it. Heres the solo breakaway on the false flat outside our house

Some hooligan has also sprayed EU Stars at strategic points on the climb and I would just like to stress that the rumours doing the rounds aren’t true, and it definitely wasn’t me.

We’ll be up at the finish line in the Shoulder of Mutton car park where we have framed prints for the category winners, and we’ll be doing our usual raffle, this time for a big Tour of Britain Rake framed print, all proceeds going to Jenns charities #jennride

slowoldman

Some hooligan has also sprayed EU Stars at strategic points on the climb

Only 12 of ’em. What do they know?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Saw “Rake” in the title and thought it might be an event at Milland Hill, a climb on my “to do” list all summer, which also hits ~25% towards the summit https://www.strava.com/segments/629672

Just watched this video of the Ramsbottom climb, look pretty brutal in places!

martinhutch

Only 12 of ’em. What do they know?

Binners Whoever dun it is clearly wistfully pining for the European Community of the 80s, based principally on free trade, before they let all the riff-raff in and banned bendy bananas.

binners

Just watched this video of the Ramsbottom climb, look pretty brutal in places!

The thing about it is the really horrible bit is the final stretch, when you’re already blowin’ out ‘yer arse. People blacking out or throwing up as they cross the line is quite common. The course record is 2 minutes 14 seconds, which is absolutely insane!

Oh… watched that vid, and I’m actually on it as he rides past me 😀

I can’t possibly comment on the stars as it was nothing to do with me

weeksy

Not sure he should be able to speak and ride it!

globalti
    Free Member

I used to mountain bike the Rake pretty regularly on my way up from Summerseat to the Peel Tower but that was on my mountain bike with a tiny granny ring. I haven’t dared try it on the roadie yet, even with a 34/30.

nbt

Anyone who’s planning to be there able to volunteer as a marshal?

https://mobile.twitter.com/LancsRC/status/1181107034223185920

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘The Ramsbottom Rake Hillclimb, this Sunday (13th October) 12 noon kick-off’ is closed to new replies.