Home Forums Chat Forum The one about the Olympic Games 2024

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,000 total)
  • The one about the Olympic Games 2024
  • butcher

Would have been very, very close without that puncture.

theotherjonv

Not sure it cost gold to be fair to Evenepoel, he was 2s off bronze, and 12 off silver which he could well have lost in the bike swap, but he wasn’t at speed and back up to speed, it was in the run up to a corner so I think the 28 to Ev was not bridgeable even allowing for the swap.

butcher

The times on screen suggested he lost at least 28s in the swap. I reckon there would have been a couple of seconds between them.

didnthurt

Pishy paris. Weathers not been kind so far. Made for tricky TT

didnthurt

Excellent PSA on the Discovery app. My Eurosport was expired at the end of July.

https://get.discoveryplus.com/gb/watch-entertainment-and-sport

onehundredthidiot

Fiji dismantle Australia in the 7s

theotherjonv

The times on screen suggested he lost at least 28s in the swap. I reckon there would have been a couple of seconds between them.

How do you mean? Seemed to me Remco was pretty well ahead of everyone all the way round, whereas Tarling and WvA were pretty close all the way other than Tarling suddenly lost about 15s, and then was consistently that 15s or so down.

28s is a lot of time – in the TdF TT recently (Froome vs Contador) where bike swap or not was an option they reckoned 10-20s including getting back to pace.

Gutting for Tarling, but any suggestion Remco’s win was in any sense ‘by luck’ isn’t right IMHO. He was fastest and best man on course.

theotherjonv

Splits are here

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/results/cycling-road/men-s-individual-time-trial/fnl-000100–

I looked back and he punctured at about 7:20 mins, so around 6km-ish? So the first split (13km), where he was 13.6s behind Remco included that time lost to the puncture – every chance he could have been up slightly by then actually if the 10-20s guess is right

After that it was a straight fight, and he’d lost another 4.5s by the 22km split, and a further 10s in the next 10km.

Remco was just faster.

butcher

How do you mean?

I could be wrong, just going off what I could see on screen, but from memory Tarling was up about 14s on Van Aert, and immediately after the bike change still getting up to speed he was around 14s down. He came in around 32s behind Remco. My numbers could be a little off but the change definitely cost him in the region of 30s.

any suggestion Remco’s win was in any sense ‘by luck’ isn’t right IMHO

Not suggesting he was lucky at all. Apparently the fastest TT in Olympic history by 1.5kmh. They’re all beasts. Just saying it would have been close and Tarling must be gutted not to contest it because of a mechanical.

Edit: he was less than 28s behind Remco.

TiRed

Sad for Josh, but Remco was in a different league today. I think without the puncture, Tarling may have got silver, but he was a good 10 seconds off gold. Will be racing his Brother at the next one.

theotherjonv

In an unscientific comparison, I have just put my laptop down in the living room, walked (quickly, I can’t run in flip flops) through the hall, kitchen, utility room and into the garage, navigating 2 doors and a dog wondering WTF is going on, got my bike out of the work stand and mounted it and it took about 20s.

If their bike swap took 50% longer than that I reckon there’s some [whatever the opposite of marginal is] gains to be had.

I can also confirm flip flops aren’t good for moving at speed, and will not be recommending them to the athletics team.

butcher

If their bike swap took 50% longer than that I reckon there’s some [whatever the opposite of marginal is] gains to be had.

The time is lost in slowing from 55kmh per hour and getting back up to speed. The bike change itself is maybe 5s.

theotherjonv

Yes, but as said and as in the interview he wasn’t doing 55, he was very soon to be slowing for a corner already and would have had to get up to speed after anyway.

theotherjonv

Anyway, I’m convinced it cost bronze and possibly silver but not gold, YMMV.

Rugby. Come on the islanders.

butcher

Anyway, I’m convinced it cost bronze and possibly silver but not gold, YMMV.

Maybe. I’m not saying he would’ve won but I think it would’ve been within 5s. We don’t know how the change affected his performance either, whether he went faster or slower knowing he was chasing from behind. I’m pretty sure he’ll be wrestling with some what ifs.

Presumably he’ll be riding the world’s so will get another chance.

olddog

What a noise at the rugby – absolutely insane atmosphere in the ground – it doesn’t always translate but wow

Dupont is soooo good

thethief

Don’t think it’s been mentioned so far, but discovery+ is free if you’re a sky subscriber.

Also, it’s quite cool how it tells you there’s a medal event on when you’re watching another sports stream.

CountZero

I’m recording all of tomorrow’s events, apparently the Women’s archery is on at 8.30am, and I’ll be down in Salisbury all afternoon and evening.

olddog

Yeah I’m liking discovery+ coverage.  Just been watching the surfing.  It’s only costing me £2.99 for a month

butcher

It’s only costing me £2.99 for a month

Where did you get that deal. It’s costing me £3.99 until Jan and that’s because I got a code from Eurosport ending?

theotherjonv

Now in the pool – amazing conversion of Racing 92 rugby stadium.

And… **** hell! It’s Ariarne Titmus.

olddog

Where did you get that deal. It’s costing me £3.99

No you’re right £3.99 – still cheap enough for wall to wall Olympics.  Just went on Discovery+ website and signed up

TiRed

Nail extensions as a performance enhancement in swimming? We’ve had tech swimsuits already.

gs_triumph

The rugby sevens has been absolutely superb.  Loved every minute that I watched.  Hooked!

crewlie

Don’t think it’s been mentioned so far, but discovery+ is free if you’re a sky subscriber.

That’s brilliant, thanks. I had no idea that was available or possible.

DrJ

I spent the afternoon standing in the rain watching the TTs and I know less about what happened than you liot.
    On the other hand I did see the lovely Cecilie in real life, though I’m not sure she heard my offer of marriage.

slowoldman

I’ve been watching a bit of surfing from Tahiti. Much nicer weather and scenery than Paris.

simondbarnes

They’ve got some excellent waves for the surfing.

Jamze

No you’re right £3.99 – still cheap enough for wall to wall Olympics.  Just went on Discovery+ website and signed up

Thanks for this, it still showed the normal price on the Android app, £6.99. Shame I don’t have a Discovery app on the big TV, but guess I can cast it.

Bunnyhop

Women’s mtbing at 1.00pm. Go Evie.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I do not get the boxing. That’s the second bout I’ve seen where the competitor that looked like she was doing all the fighting, lost.

onehundredthidiot

Well that SA rear rim needs a bit of TLC.

onehundredthidiot

Ferrand prevot looking very strong.

Hopefully the lecomte(sp?) is ok the looked a sore crash.

johnners
    Free Member

Thanks for this, it still showed the normal price on the Android app, £6.99

Mine offers me a £3.99 option but that’s got no Olympics or GT, I have to pay £6.99 to get the next package up to include them. I can’t get bothered with too much arsing about to save £3 pm so £6.99 it is. I’ll only be in for the Olympics and then the Vuelta so I’ll just pay the extra £6.

I’m watching the archery at the moment, I’ll switch over for the men’s xc.

theotherjonv

How long are you planning to watch the archery for? Mens is tomorrow.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Yes it was a bit of a slam for Lecomte.  Well more than a bit.  Hope she’s OK.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When is the Canoe Cross on? That is one event I’ve been waiting for.

simondbarnes

Been enjoying the skateboarding, looking forward to the final in a bit :-)

greyspoke
    Free Member

https://talksport.com/olympics/1984715/olympics-broadcaster-refuses-replay-crash-loana-lecomte/

Eye witness reports say she regained consciousness and appeared to be OK, I guess the helicopter trip to hospital is standard procedure for such cases.

Kuco

Loanna’s bike smacked her in the back of her head.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.