Home Forums Chat Forum The one about the Olympic Games 2024

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 1,000 total)
  • The one about the Olympic Games 2024
  • martinhutch

Yeah, love that logo. My wife can’t see it!

Caher

Neat diptych Flame/girl.

martinhutch

Well, that piano’s ruined.

beej

Surely, at some point in the planning, someone asked “Mais et s’il pleut”?

mr edd
    Free Member

Boring washout ☹ as a spectacle it’s not working, I’m of down the pub ?

masterdabber
    Free Member

Where’s the guillotine? The person responsible for this fiasco needs to “visit” it.

martinhutch

mr edd Free Member
    Boring washout ☹ as a spectacle it’s not working, I’m of down the pub ?

<Gets lunge whip out> Oh no you don’t!

malgrey
    Free Member

Logo is excellent.

Sorry, the rest is dull, hoping something might happen after the parade of countries, but for now, I’m out. The weather certainly isn’t helping, but it must be difficult to create any real atmosphere when not in a stadium.

Danny Boyle’s London ceremony still rules. One of the most unexpectedly brilliant bits of TV watching I’ve ever seen, I only tuned in with low expectations as it was “on a budget” compared with Beijing, yet I stayed until they rolled out McCartney at the end.

convert

Binners – am I being dense, who is she meant to be?

For design, nothing is going to beat Heatherwick’s cauldron of all the nations in 2012.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I assume they are doing the athlete parade first?

And then afterwards it will be fireworks, drones , people swimming in the river ?

solarider
    Free Member

Maybe there’s a bit of bias when I say this, but it certainly ain’t London 2012……..

I went from a sceptic to a convert and evangelist within the first 10 minutes of that and sat through the whole thing.

This is fingers down the chalkboard stuff. Very disjointed and awkward. Too many venues, too many single people standing on massive buildings feeling totally lost and small scale things against an enormous backdrop. The rain isn’t helping, but that aside it feels very clumsy with long periods of nothing. Where’s the spectacle?

And where are all of the athletes? Seems like a very small contingent from most countries. Is it just the spread out boat thing giving a sparse impression or are there less athletes involved than a traditional ceremony?

wbo
    Free Member

It’s a brave decision to hold it outside the stadium.  Well its good enough for me and people seem genuinely happy to be there.

snotrag

I disagree with those who are unimpressed I think. It’s very French, of course it is. Its never going to be like the way ‘we’ did it and it shouldn’t be. I bet there’s a heck of a buzz across the city despite the rain.

It’s interesting how despite being our closest neighbours, we have a huge difference in our culture, our film, TV, music, arts etc this probably all seems a bit ‘french’ to us in the same way that our big celebrations must seem a bit foreign and odd to the French.

mefty
    Free Member

Someone on X suggested it was a task on the French version of the Apprentice – about week 2

martinhutch

Amusingly, it’s pretty much the only part of France that is getting rained on. God clearly hates the French Olympic Committee.

solarider
    Free Member

this probably all seems a bit ‘frenchdreadful’ to us

The French really know how to put on a show. Just not the French that designed this.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Oh so the parade is it :-(

Still might come back later for the inevitable drone and firework show at the end

Houns

God this is ****

martinhutch

Needs Jean Paul Gautier and a bunch of fishermen in bondage gear. Propa French culture.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s almost a bit D-Day ish ie they have scoured the land for as many boats that they can find, and then given the crappiest shitty ones to the poorest nations

Drac

Dear me this is dreadful.

Oh now they have c’est vrai, dit fred

Drac

martinhutch

Beat me to it. Happy toast on great form on Twitter.

bensales
    Free Member

It’s almost a bit D-Day ish ie they have scoured the land for as many boats that they can find, and then given the crappiest shitty ones to the poorest nations

Stolen from elsewhere…

Newsflash

Nigel Farage just had a heart attack. He just turned onto BBC 1 and thought these were live scenes from the English Channel.

snotrag

Nice to hear N1NO get the shout out as the highlight of the Swiss team.

CountZero

I must admit, looking out of my living room window that’s behind my telly while I’m watching the boat parade on a very wet Paris and Seine, seeing a nice blue evening sky with fluffy clouds, and feeling a certain amount of schadenfreude.

Am I a bad person?

Newsflash

Nigel Farage just had a heart attack. He just turned onto BBC 1 and thought these were live scenes from the English Channel.

solarider
    Free Member

This so needs Graham Norton commentating.

crazy-legs

The recent film on Netflix, Under Paris – the one about giant sharks in the Seine.

That’s what this needs, more giant sharks, ideally ones able to eat all these rather plain looking barges.

Caher

Its a little pompous. The wet pianist said it all.

Wish I lived nearer a pub.

solarider
    Free Member

I know I can ‘turn the tv off and go out and do something less boring instead’…..but it is strangely compelling viewing precisely because it so awful.

twistedpencil

Eurotrash the live boat musical. It’s different!

mrhoppy

To be honest it’s very reminiscent of the sons et illuminaires show I went to in Argentiere many years back.

martinhutch

I’m liking the Europop disco and the LED boat.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

It really is rubbish, so shocked expected a lot better.

Fueled
    Free Member

at least the smurf was kept dry under the klosh

BoardinBob

Blue Keith Lemon

binners

It’s like they’ve said ‘Eurotrash hasn’t been on for a while, let’s revive that’

I’m just waiting for the old bloke dressed as a penguin

binners

They really don’t like pianos, do they?

markoulini

Another piano!!

martinhutch

I’ve given up and switched over to something that’s less of a disaster.

Chernobyl on Sky Atlantic.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 1,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.