Home Forums Chat Forum The one about the Olympic Games 2024

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,000 total)
  • The one about the Olympic Games 2024
  • andy4d

Gutted for adeleke, two 4th places.

in the relay, who gets the medals, the 4 who ran the final or do the others who ran the semis but were dropped for the final etc get a medal for being part of the team?

Bunnyhop

I’m pretty sure the ‘whole team’ in the relay gets a medal each, even if they got dropped before the final. (seem to remember a competitor getting a medal yesterday along with his team mates, even though he wasn’t in the final).

Tom-B
    Free Member

Anyone that has ran in any round gets a medal

rs2000
    Free Member

Georgia Bell, a level 51 Zwifter and also a good runner. Well done

windyg
    Free Member
    Bunnyhop

“I couldn’t find out why Ethan Hayter was injured and replaced by Mark Stewart. Did EH not recover from the incident in the TS?”

He pulled a thigh muscle

DougD

Dutch guy headbutts Ollie Wood off his bike in the Madison…  nothing seems to have been done about.  It looked totally deliberate…

Definitely looked deliberate, wonder if it was a bit of a dig after Carlin’s move yesterday

susepic

Late on Saturday evening, the Netherlands were disqualified from the Madison due to what was termed a “blow with helmet” by Van Schip on Wood. The Dutchman was also fined CHF 1,000 (£900).

Guardian saying Netherlands DQd

thecaptain
    Free Member

GB targeted the relays with a bunch of extra runners brought over to help through the rounds. It was noticeable that they always had 5 or even 6 on the podium when most other teams only had 4.

onehundredthidiot

Hudson-Smith looked oh so bored on the Olympic podium.

colournoise

He looked ready to fall asleep during the Mixed Zone interview with the BBC.

mos

Would weightlifting be easier if the athletes had a better proportion of lean muscle mass? It just looks like some of them are carrying 5-10 kgs of weight which needs moving alongside the metal ones.

zilog6128

no, the gold medal is decided by who can lift the most weight, not who looks the “best”.

onehundredthidiot

beej

no, the gold medal is decided by who can lift the most weight, not who looks the “best”.

I think the question relates to having to lift an extra 5kg (for example) with the legs from the squat position.

I was wondering the same, but I guess whatever works for them, works for them.

TiRed

Well done Emily. That atmosphere was electric. Everyone was fighting for silver. Had a last minute ticket for the velodrome yesterday, and decided to attended the 81+ ladies too.  I was not disappointed. Although I hate to admit it, weightlifting is a better spectator sport than the crash fest of MADison racing

IMG_5008

IMG_5027

csb
    Free Member

Wife and I were just saying the same watching the womens lifting. No doubt they are strong but they look obese. Seems to be common to them all so must be the optimum physique but hard not to think they’d be better off with less fat?

simondbarnes

I love how armchair experts are so much better than the best athletes in the world.

TiRed

And yesterday in the velodrome.
    IMG_4949IMG_4952IMG_4947

TiRed

Lii Wenwen is not as big as you think she appears and has slimmed down from her world record weight. She is a class apart.

IMG_5033

Houns

Body shaming female Olympians?!

TiRed

Nope. They are utterly amazing. Most people can imagine what riding a bike is like, or running, or swimming. But what they do is remarkable. And the crowd reaction cannot be done justice by the TV. Especially when a lifter has had two fails. Those were the biggest cheers of all!

Caher

Ultra strong people have a calorie surplus unlike body builders who shred the fat but do not need the explosive power.

They’ll easily shed that. Same with props.

onehundredthidiot

I deleted an earlier post. There’s no body shaming in anything I’ve read.

I assumed (given I have no experience or expertise) that in order to move big weights that there’s a fairly impressive diet both protein, for muscle build and repair, and carbs, to push the energy through those muscles.  I also assume you have to be fairly massive yourself to push massive weights (relatively) .

Italy bloody impressive in the volleyball. America didn’t have an answer in the second and thirds sets

Tom-B
    Free Member

Is it just me, or did the men’s breaking ‘b boys’ off you will just get totally ignored? Obviously a bit of attention for the female comp, and then the Australian girl went viral…..not seen any reference at all to the men’s comp? Just getting quietly ignored and forgotten as a failed experiment? It’s not in for LA and I’m not sure how keen the Aussies will be to bring it back for Brisbane!

onehundredthidiot

Breaking got a few mentions on Eurosport bonjour Paris.

theotherjonv

hell of a game in the women’s basketball.

mos

I wasn’t body shaming, it just seems to me as a non expert that if anyone is trying to get xxxkg off the floor from a squatting position, then any bits of body that don’t contribute are potentially a hindrance, especially when some people move up 2-3 kgs and can’t get the weight past their knees.

nickc

Those woman are lifting more than two of me above their heads. They’re amazing!! True Olympians

BruceWee

You hear the same things about Vali Holl sometimes.  Personally I think if you are winning the medals then other people should be looking at what you’re doing rather than listening to the armchair experts who say they would do better if they looked more like the other girls.

It’s very difficult to maintain enough muscle mass at a low body fat to perform sports that require a lot of strength/power.  The only way around that is to take extra testosterone.

I suspect women are going to be able to perform at a variety of body shapes in a way most men’s sports don’t.  For women it’s much more of a compromise because finding your optimum weight to perform at means you might end up looking less like the typical ‘athlete’.

You have to wonder how many athletes are not able to perform at their best because they are hindering their performance by forcing themselves to conform to a certain aesthetic standard.

theotherjonv

Well said Bruce.

In this day of everything measured, analysed and optimised if there was an advantage to being ‘skinnier’ then they would be. Same with the throwing events in the athletics. They are built to do what they do and they do it fantastically and should be celebrated for that, not discussed aesthetically compared to a high jumper or a distance runner.

scuttler

Yeah it’s not really a fluke that many of the throwers and lifters since forever are chunky

onehundredthidiot

listening to the armchair experts who say they would do better if they looked more like the other girls.

But no one said that a question was asked about moving extra mass, it was in relation to a women’s event but that’s not why it was asked. (I assume). No one said “oooo it’d be better if they were 36, 24, 34.”

And no one has claimed expertise in fact I claimed absolutely no experience or expertise.

crazy-legs

Collection of stunning pics from the last 2 weeks

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/aug/11/postcards-from-paris-iconic-scenes-at-the-olympic-games

Closing ceremony starts at 8pm UK time – apparently featuring Tom Cruise abseiling from the stadium. I’m out so I’ll have to catch the highlights tomorrow, hopefully condensed into 5 minutes and missing all the cringeworthy bits!

Caher

Good idea. I think I’ll just watch the highlights, seen enough Tom Cruise movies.

franksinatra

Chapeau Paris, that was a great Olympics. Amazing venues, great competition, really good stuff.

Edukator
    Free Member

Really pleased to read that, Frank. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it too.

The open marathon last night one of the highlights for me, no idea who won, it didn’t matter, just lots of happy people taking part.

ceepers

@nickc that’s what I thought! It’s bonkers!

anyway interesting addition to the discussion, Ellie Aldridge the kite foil gold medalist actually had to gain around 10kg to be competitive and is quoted as saying she was looking forward to not eating as much after the games!

onehundredthidiot

Agree absolutely superb Olympics. Glad they got to swim the seinne the 10km open water looked brutal.

Thought the GB&NI tracksuit.tops were odd, almost designed by some one who thought they’d never raise their hands in celebration.

wbo
    Free Member

Another plus vote from me – I’ve really enjoyed the last couple of weeks.

Cougar

Most people can imagine what riding a bike is like

I’ve ridden in Manchester’s velodrome, with Ed Clancy and Andy Tennant.  I would respectfully suggest that most regular people think they can imagine what riding a bike is like.  Velo racing is brutal.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.