Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The Obamas’ portraits
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

They come across as really decent people. Wonder how long before we can say that about a leader in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-62829669

tpbiker
    Free Member

Indeed

And to think they went from him to Donald trump…

thols2

They come across as really decent people.

But he was responsible for the worst scandal in presidential history.

fasthaggis

I think it’s going be a long wait.
    We will never get to know how good a leader John Smith would have been,but I walked past his bust in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery last week and it made me feel sad.I have met a few people that worked with him and he sounded like a thoroughly decent human with great intentions.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

We will never get to know how good a leader John Smith would have been,but I walked past his bust in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery last week and it made me feel sad.I have met a few people that worked with him and he sounded like a thoroughly decent human with great intentions.

One of the nicest and smartest friends I have is Andrew Graham who was chief economic advisor to John Smith. He never had anything but praise for his friend and boss.

maccruiskeen

Can I be first throw my hat in the ring to do Trump’s official portrait?

Went to art school and everything. Studied sculpture so it’ll have to be 3D

I’m thinking butter.

Or ham

Or buttery ham.

fasthaggis

maccruiskeen,if you get the gig, I think it would only be fitting to use bull excrement and straw as a base medium.

inkster
    Free Member

Too late maccruskeen, Joe Lycet’s already got that gig,

ernielynch

They come across as really decent people.

The link shows them unveiling portraits of themselves in front of assembled journalists, not really much evidence of some admirable act, did you perhaps mean “normal”?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No Ernie. I was referring to their behaviour for as long as I have been aware of them. Their behaviour today was just a nice moment at an event that all presidents take part in. Could you imagine what Trump would be like? Or what his portrait would be?

scruff9252

is there a way to, as a nation, request Obama run for Westminster elections?

ernielynch

Could you imagine what Trump would be like? Or what his portrait would be?

Good point, I hadn’t thought about that, I guess it will be his turn next. I look forward to it for the certain entertainment value, I’m sure Trump won’t disappoint.

I’m not massively impressed by Obama btw. I think he sold himself well – he came across as a reasonable and decent guy, and his public speaking was exceptionally good, but for me he was another US right-wing president who did little to correct injustices at home or US hegemony and aggression abroad, albeit not as bad as some alternatives.

FuzzyWuzzy

It was a shame Obama’s first term coincided with the financial crisis and he only control of the House for 2 years and the Senate for a few months so never got to enact the amount of change he wanted

shermer75
    Free Member

Omg I love the Obamas so much! They are just decent, upstanding people. There is such a shortage of that right now!!

thols2

It was a shame Obama’s first term coincided with the financial crisis and he only control of the House for 2 years and the Senate for a few months so never got to enact the amount of change he wanted

Sure, but if the economy was booming, McCain’s chances of beating Obama would have been much better. That financial crash was the nail in the coffin for the old Republican party.

shermer75
    Free Member

But he was responsible for the worst scandal in presidential history

Haha!

shermer75
    Free Member

Wonder how long before we can say that about a leader in the UK

Feels like a long way off, doesn’t it?

footflaps

Feels like a long way off, doesn’t it?

I assume that every member of the Tory party will have a turn before the next election, so quite a few to get through yet…..

Klunk
    Free Member

one of the best things about Obama is he gets under Trumps skin without even trying.

ernielynch

Surely we must be spoilt for choice when it comes to people getting under Trump’s skin?

He found journalists particularly irritating although he extended it to anyone who didn’t adore him.

ernielynch

maccruiskeen

Could you imagine what Trump would be like? Or what his portrait would be?

Good point, I hadn’t thought about that, I guess it will be his turn next. I look forward to it for the certain entertainment value, I’m sure Trump won’t disappoint.

I suppose if you think back to his inauguration and the long list of artists and entertainers who turned him down (and back then he just the arsehole he was then rather than the arsehole he is now)   – its not so much what Trump would want but what he can get. What artist of any merit would take the gig?

ernielynch

Or what his portrait would be?

On that point I would love to see either the artist being bribed or the picture being switched at the last moment, so that the public unveiling reveals a bright orange Trump with tiny small hands, as the curtains open.

I would piss myself laughing.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I would piss myself laughing.

OK Ernie, now piss off and spread your joy on the Queen thread.

ctk
    Free Member

Bombed and droned countless innocent people in unnecessary foreign interventions. A decent person wouldn’t do this – you’ll not persuade me otherwise.

ctk
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

he gets under Trumps skin without even trying.

there’s plenty of room

tabletop2
    Free Member

I’m sure all the the Iraqi children he vaporised also think he is decent

I’m sure all the the Iraqi children he vaporised also think he is decent

Not limited to Iraqis. He’s quite the multinational killer.

RustySpanner

I have a mate who worked at a high level for a charity which supported homeless prostitutes and trafficked sex workers.

One of their biggest supporters used to turn up and do a couple of shifts a month, unpaid, just sorting out admin and making brews.
    Donated a shit load of cash too.

Peter Mandleson.

You just never can tell.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I have a mate who worked at a high level for a charity which supported homeless prostitutes and trafficked sex workers.

One of their biggest supporters used to turn up and do a couple of shifts a month, unpaid, just sorting out admin and making brews.
    Donated a shit load of cash too.

Peter Mandleson.

You just never can tell.

Did Mandelson ever give an explanation for this?

shermer75
    Free Member

What artist of any merit would take the gig?

George Dubya?

CountZero

Trumpf’s portrait? I’ll just leave this here…

IdleJon

Why did they traffic sex workers? I’m not sure I could support a charity that did that but I can imagine quite a few Tory politicians who might.

😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.