Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The O-zone killed my tyres
  • legend
    Free Member

Hello, I might not be having the best luck with my wheels and tyres. Both front and rear tyres are showing signs of the rubber cracking already. Oddly it’s just on one side, and just for around a quarter of the circumference. I assume this shouldn’t be happening? I’ve attached a couple of photos below, you can see the long crack just above the line from the tyre mound.
    Thanks, Leg-end

and the response I got….

Hi Leg-end,

it is not a critical issue. There is no danger because it does not affect the structure and the behavior of the tyre. Unfortunately, we can’t warranty that with new tyres, it will not happen again.
    The only thing that we can tell, is that a tyre must be kept in the dark (in a cellar or a garage without any light) and far from an electrical device (to keep it far from ozone gas).
    Then you tyre will last longer. It is true for all the tyres whatever the vehicle.
    Regards

The bike lives in the garage (no windows), in the 5 months I’ve had the tyres (and wheels) it’s lived around 5ft from the Consumer Unit – but so have 6 other bikes that haven’t had issues. What do we make of the O-zone being bad then?

nickjb
    Free Member

BITD I remember being told not to store diving equipment in a room with motors in it as they produce ozone which would damage the rubber.

legend
    Free Member

**** – just realised the implications for e-bikes!!!1!

nickjb
    Free Member

^if you used them on a turbo trainer in an enclosed space. Do people do that?

legend
    Free Member

^if you used them on a turbo trainer in an enclosed space. Do people do that?

This bike has has never been on a turbo

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, ozone does damage rubber. However, it’s produced by electrical arcing, not by electrical consumption.

Remember that smell from the transformer on your old trainset while you were playing with it? That’s ozone.

geex
    Free Member

800+  Ebike miles!1!!

No Emailing required 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d have thought it more likely that the damage to the tyres was caused by UV, surely Ozone would lead to the same damage overall.

philjunior
    Free Member

800+  Ebike miles!1!!

That’s the front tyre though. Obviously you’ve not shown us the rear as it sits in an ozone rich slipstream and consequently is in tatters.

geex
    Free Member

There you go… OMG!1!! OZONEZ!11

(or maybe it was the 230000ft of descending steep trails… Hmmm… )

legend
    Free Member

I’d have thought it more likely that the damage to the tyres was caused by UV

6 months of limited riding in Scotland, seems unlikely 😀

geex
    Free Member

Scotland

Er… The Weege? it’s been pretty UVey over this way, You should try it sometime. Soon.

legend
    Free Member

🙄 still not enough to kill a tyre even id been out all day, every day. Plus, it’s one (1) long crack per tyre, not perished like the normal way they age

JackHammer

wtf is O-zone?

geex
    Free Member

Which tyre manufacurer fobbed you off with this cool story?

My money’s on conti. Not for the story… I’m quite impressed by that. More the shitty quality product.

Oh.. and.. is L’il Ps B’day soon yet?

poah
    Free Member

wtf is O-zone?

Its like ozone, O3, but with a pointless hyphen.

Splash-man
    Free Member

wtf is O-zone?

Its between the N and the P zones in that massive car park…..

Poopscoop

I used to keep my bit in a conservatory and the tyres lasted fine.lol

Got to love the explanation from the manufacturer though, very creative.

legend
    Free Member

I’m very attached to my unnecessary hyphen thank you very much.

Manufacturer is Mavic (well, Hutchison iirc?)

funkmasterp

The only thing that we can tell, is that a tyre must be kept in the dark

What tyres for a vampire? Or the tyre works in a lowly job and doesn’t get to find out why it’s doing what it’s doing.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Ever gone down to the garage, having not ridden the bike for a while and discovered a puncture? That could cause sidewall cracks over ~25% of the tyre.

legend
    Free Member

Nope, they stay up really well and they’ve not been punctured. The crack isn’t even on the sidewall as you’d usually see when the rubber goes

mashr

8 months, and a change of username, later…….. just had Scottish Power out as my cable head was arcing. Cables haven’t been tight since they were installed 4 years ago – looks like Mavic were right all along!!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Well I wouldn’t have guessed that, nor that your tyres were acting as some sort of safety critical ozone detector

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘The O-zone killed my tyres’ is closed to new replies.