Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • The next Dr Who
  • Harry_the_Spider

William Hill have stopped taking bets on this chap…

I hope they are right.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

DR ********** WHO?

bikebouy
    Free Member

” knock, knock its Dr….. ”

project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23531724

live show sunday night

I believe the new Dr is Tandem Jeremey, time lord of the internet bike forum, and always right.

James May, or Sir Stephen Fry would be equally good as well.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I want David Mitchell…

But would accept Peter as a sound choice.

RustySpanner

Uncle Rory as Dr Who?
    Yeah I’ll have that.

Should have been Julie Walters or Maxine Peake, mind.

bencooper
    Free Member

Or Olivia Coleman. Or at least someone not male and white.

But whatever – I don’t watch the show so don’t really get the fuss anyway.

RustySpanner

You should try it.

They used to film a lot of it in disused quarries 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Peter Capaldi would be great, but only if he played Dr. Who in the guise of Malcom Tucker.
    Not too sure you could show it to kids then though!

bencooper
    Free Member

They used to film a lot of it in disused quarries

😀

MSP

How about kate Upton, and then the Dr could eventually get jiggy with Billie Piper, now that might make it worth watching.

avdave2

….but as this is STW I feel duty bound to offer an opinion anyway. 🙂

Like your suggestion though.

binners

They’re breaking with tradition and going with a woman. Not Billie Piper though. It’s Rusty Lee!

hels
    Free Member

As much as I think Peter Capaldi would be awesome I think it’s about time we had a female doctor. Or a black doctor, gay doctor, doctor in a wheelchair (they already have the ramps in the Tardis), anything but a middle-aged white dude.

How brilliant would Graham Norton be ?

hels
    Free Member

Or event better – Flavor Flav (him from Public Enemy) Hip Hop Doctor !

He knows what time it is !

IanMunro
    Free Member

Can’t have a black doctor. Home office immigration officers would be down on him like a ton of bricks every time he stepped out the tardis.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Trick them with psychic paper …job done

Graham Norton would be a terrible choice as doctor as he is not a very good actor same for Flavor Flav

I think the new series has made huge inroads with gay characters and prominent roles to females [ the sonic lipstick aside for sarah jane]

I dont think anyone would care if we had a Dr who was not male or white so lets leave it down to best fit/person which is what it should be

Tucker would be a good choice as would many others

Riksbar

I always thought Danny John Jules from Red Dwarf would be an ace Dr.

MSP

anything but a middle-aged white dude

The last 2 have been mere kids, and as the character is supposed to display the wisdom of the ages, they suffered poorly in the role. Middle age is a bonus in this case, youth isn’t.

CountZero

Thing is, it’s an individual who regenerates into another version of himself. How is it possible for a male Timelord to regenerate as a female? Or a different race? Not that I have a problem with a female Timelord, but I can’t see how Matt Smith would regenerate as a female.
    And yes, I know it’s fantasy, but it has it’s own internal logic.

unklehomered
    Free Member

The above 2 +1

Northwind

Dr Tucker would be a thing to behold.

“Aye, it’s bigger on the inside, now get the **** in or **** the **** off”

“hels – Member

doctor in a wheelchair “

“It’s alright, daleks can’t go up steps… Ah, wait…”

jamj1974

live show sunday night
    I believe the new Dr is Tandem Jeremey, time lord of the internet bike forum, and always right.
    James May, or Sir Stephen Fry would be equally good as well.

Helmets won’t protect you from a knock on the head if you fall off your TARDIS!* I think Uncle Rory or Maxine would be good too Rusty.

*TJ, would make an ace Doctor actually. Personally I miss him…

hels
    Free Member

Well I think if you can buy all the time travel nonsense and a being who can regenerate, gender and race change is hardly a big leap ?

And did you read what you typed there countzero – it has it’s own internal logic ??? I am hoping you aren’t typing with a straight face !?!

I can see that attacks on the male bastion of sci-fi nerdery aren’t going to get very far on here.

Would a female Dr be acceptable if she wore a really tight and low-cut costume ??

Northwind

What’s Art Malik up to these days? He’d be a bloody brilliant Dr.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Oh now that’s a good call!

Northwind

To the batcave! Still time to get this sorted out before it turns out to be Tulisa

ninfan
    Free Member

I’m hoping for Paddy C

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wWX-pgJwKM[/video]

Cougar

And did you read what you typed there countzero – it has it’s own internal logic ???

Doctor Who has many things going for it. Internal consistency is not one of them. We’ve already had the little-bit-gay Doctor, courtesy of Tenth / Captain Jack / RTD. A female, black, or Klingon Doctor wouldn’t surprise me.

For me though the whole point of the Doctor is someone who can act the goat but still has gravitas when required. Eccleston had this nailed, he was bloody terrifying when he put his mind to it; but the next two have been successively more ‘appeal to the kids and the female viewers’ and less alpha-male as a result. Can you imagine Matt Smith delivering a line like “when I say run, run”? He had the weird / zany schtick perfected, but as a figure of authority I’d take a bowl of fish fingers and custard more seriously.

Question is though, is Capaldi too far the other way? I’ve only ever seen him in TTOI.

Cougar

Oh, also,

Can I go on record and say that I think Capaldi an intentional misdirection on the part of the Beeb, to keep people occupied and distracted until Sunday?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Question is though, is Capaldi too far the other way? I’ve only ever seen him in TTOI.

Don’t forget Local Hero. Frightening how young he looks in that.

Cougar

Ye gods! I totally didn’t make that connection.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I personally think the talents of the last couple of actors have been squandered on inconsistent and sometimes quite poor scripts and too much campness (and I speak as a fan of Baz Luhrmann).

But talking of campness and things going over kids heads – remeber pipkins?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMdBh09zP8U[/video]

CountZero

I can see that attacks on the male bastion of sci-fi nerdery aren’t going to get very far on here.
    Would a female Dr be acceptable if she wore a really tight and low-cut costume ??

Don’t be daft, that was fine for a couple of the Companions, but nobody would accept The Doctor being dressed in an overtly sexy fashion. I don’t actually care, myself, if the right person’s chosen, man, woman, or meerkat, so long as their as good in the rôle as the last two, then fine.
    Captain Jack wasn’t The Doctor, but he was a Time Lord, and no issues about shagging anything with a pulse, and it’s obvious that there are female Time Lords, there was even one in the very first episode, An Unearthly Child; Susan Foreman.
    All I’m saying is, if the Doctor regenerates as a woman, then it’s something which goes beyond the apparent gender that the Doctor appears to have. I just can’t recall any instance where a Time Lord has regenerated in a body that has a different apparent gender to the previous one, so that would be breaking a precedent that has run through the series from the beginning, which is more or less what I meant by ‘internal logic’
    The Time Lords obviously have children and grand-children, (Susan), no-where has it been implied that the ability to change gender is part of their ability.
    But hey, that’s the fun of the programme, the conjecture about who is going to be the new lead, and the arguing about who has been chosen afterwards.
    Capaldi would be good, I like Doctors who have a hint of madness behind the eyes, flashes of anger that hint that he’s not to be messed with, and Hartnell was my favourite for that reason; he looked like a harmless old man, but there was always the suggestion that if you turned your back on him, you’d find a knife sticking out of it, or turn back to find yourself looking down the barrel of a pistol.
    Just found this on Wiki, about Hartnell, which I didn’t know:
    “Hartnell’s deteriorating health (he suffered from arteriosclerosis, which began to affect his ability to say his lines), as well as poor relations with the new production team on the series after the departure of Verity Lambert, ultimately led him to leave Doctor Who in 1966.[11][14]
    When he left Doctor Who, the producer of the show came up with a unique idea: since the Doctor is an alien, he can transform himself physically, thereby renewing himself. William Hartnell himself suggested that Patrick Troughton should be cast as the new Doctor, stating that “There’s only one man in England who can take over, and that’s Patrick Troughton”.[15] In the fourth episode of the serial The Tenth Planet, the First Doctor regenerated into Troughton’s Second Doctor.[16]”
    From that, it sort of implies that there’s a degree of control over the transformation, but as to changing gender?
    Well, why not.
    Hmmm, Helen Mirren would make a good Doctor…
    Any other suggestions for a good female Doctor?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Captain Jack wasn’t The Doctor, but he was a Time Lord

What? no he wasn’t. Get your facts straight. 🙂

On the rest I pretty much agree though

oldgit
    Free Member

mlke
    Free Member

I’d love to see Malcolm Tucker, swearing at Daleks.

Right you c….s!
    Let the Earthlings F…wits go I’ll <industrial swearing> and <biologically impossible – but funny threat>
    Is that understood you F….ing dildos?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Northwind

CountZero – Member

no-where has it been implied that the ability to change gender is part of their ability.

Eh, didn’t one of the new doctors (Matt Smith?) check his gender in their first scene? Also there’s a timelord character that changed sex, the corsair.

Besides, this is dr who, the continuity’s buckled, the rules are only there to be broken, they can handwave their way through anything.

vondally
    Free Member

as above Capt Jack was not a time lord…………..and the whole Torchwood is generally awful as were the latter days of Russell T Davies period

I have enjoyed Tennant Dr at times and Matt Smith has been fab at times both trying to be like Tom Baker or playing on that riff BUT neither compare with Eccelstone who was truly wonderful as the tortured lonely guilty Doctor, great when he meets the dalek….more like that please

Moffat has been great at casting….John Hurt as the last Doctor, sublime

personally think

Art Malik great call but not likely

Peter Capaldi wonderful actor recently seen in World War Z as W.H.O doctor…..who knows

Idris Elba………..NAH Doct’r WHHHHHHHHHoooooooooooo please no

Riz Ahmed…from the film four lions great actor

Looking forward to tomorrow and hope for Jenna Louise Coleman to be the new doctor….she is in the timeline of the doctor……

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘The next Dr Who’ is closed to new replies.