• This topic has 26 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The Magic of Christmas
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

Why do we bother keeping up the pretence that some fat bloke in a red suit delivers presents. Would Christmas suffer if we just told the truth to our kids? Wouldn’t it just be easier all round if the kids knew it was us?
    My youngest back in the summer (who was 5 then) told us she didn’t believe in Santa. When asked why she explained that the tablet she got last Christmas says “Amazon” on the back so she knows it came from Amazon and not Santa. I was all up for it, but Mrs Trailwagger had a meltdown and spent days making up all sorts of stuff in an attempt to get our little one to believe for a little longer.

leffeboy

tbf, the problem here isn’t Christmas really – is it?  you’re just looking for some backup to take it back to Mrs Trailwagger

and we’re too scared

trailwagger
    Free Member

tbf, the problem here isn’t Christmas really – is it? you’re just looking for some backup to take it back to Mrs Trailwagger

Busted.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s not mandatory, unless your wife says it is.

scotroutes

It’s a myth we just seem to perpetuate, ignoring all logic. It’s a bit like religion. If it didn’t already exist, would we invent it now?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

You’re just a bunch of grumpy rationalists. Glad none of you were my parents.

JP

BoardinBob

Your kids will learn how shitty the world is soon enough

Afford them a little fantasy indulgence while they’re not full blow misanthropes

wordnumb
    Free Member

Also deniability – if the kid hates the present, better it’s Santa’s fault than the parent.

meeeee
    Free Member

I love it, watching my kids (5 and 7) writing little notes to Santa and the elves, and hearing them talking about how they have to be careful as the elves might be watching… It’s great!

Wish I was still a little kid with no worries apart from is Santa going to fit down the chimney!

argoose
    Free Member

The Christians stole it from the pagans, and now retail has stolen it from the Christians.
    Love it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What Bob said.

Greg, age 44, still love it. x

RustySpanner

Singletrack.

The home of arch miserablists since Santa was a lad…..🙂

fingerbang
    Free Member

As long as the Santa belief persists for the kids then there is a barely concealed disgust for the parents as they don’t give any presents! Santa gets all the kudos and for what? F all

chakaping
    Free Member

Why do we bother?

It’s called fun, you might have heard of it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on the kid. It’s not fun to all kids.

If my parents had gone to elaborate lengths to insist that Santa existed I’d have been confused, as it didn’t fit with what I was learning about the physical world, and Is have felt unease that they were trying to persuade me of something so bizarre. It wouldn’t have been a positive. TBH they did try but it was always obvious.

I loved Christmas anyway though and I still do. I loved it because we had a house full of family having a great time and being just pissed enough to be really fun. That’s what was important to me, not who delivered the presents.

frankconway

Santa doesn’t exist?
    Since when?
    I re-discovered Santa when I became a Dad – eldest is 34 – and haven’t stopped believing.

frankconway

If you want proof of Santa, NASA track his movements every year.
    NASA is full of sciencey rationalists so they can’t be wrong.
    QED.

funkmasterp

Next you’ll be telling me the tooth fairy doesn’t exist. Kids don’t have long enough to be kids these days as it is. Then again if they’ve sussed it out for themselves I wouldn’t spend effort trying to convince them otherwise

RDL-82
    Free Member

I love it (Santa) for the kids. Two of ours are now old enough to no longer believe. We went along with it for as long as they were happy too and didn’t push it when the told us they no longer beloved.
    The eldest probably took longer or played the game back for longer. The middle one a bit sooner. Suspect the youngest will be quicker still purely because she questions everything.
    Even though the older two know it’s all just a nice little fairytale they both go out of their way to play the game for their younger sister. Moving the elf and all that stuff. It’s fun for them too now but in a different way.
    I’ll be sad once all three of them know the truth.

chakaping
    Free Member

My daughter’s friend still believed at 11, got teased by her classmates. I think the parents should have let it go in that case.

Depends on the kid. It’s not fun to all kids.

What makes you think I was talking about it being fun for the kids?

SaxonRider

The Christians stole it from the pagans, and now retail has stolen it from the Christians.
    Love it.

Uh huh.

tnrbilly
    Free Member

Christmas is all about the magic of Santa (sorry Christians).

I still tell my 21 year old the presents come from Santa and she still goes along with it.

Never stop believing.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Christmas is all about the magic of Santa (sorry Christians).

My church has a huge nativity scene in the foyer of the building (new build) and an even huger Santa’s sleigh you can sit in and have pics taken. We get excited about both, they don’t have to cancel each other out!

andypaul
    Free Member

Trailwagger needs to watch the following negative drivel from his hero Corbyn with a bottle of tatratea.

scruff9252

After seeing Jeremy’s Christmas message, I think his next job will be fronting adverts for Dignitas.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The Christians stole it from the pagans, and now retail has stolen it from the Christians

and Santa stole it from Amazon

alpin
    Free Member
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘The Magic of Christmas’ is closed to new replies.